Skip to content

SQL Compare

Welcome to the SQL Compare feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Compare at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-compare/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Compare, please visit the forums at https://forums.red-gate.com/viewforum.php?f=200 or our support portal.

SQL Compare

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

244 results found

1. There are cases when for continuous intergration we use Visual Studio Project 2013 to build our databses. Sometimes we need to use database variables these look like: [$(DatabaseName)]. Though Visual Studio can recognize it as a variable, redgate will not and will output that as it is for deployment or comparison.There need to be an option where these variables can be ignored or output using the variable name which is specified in the project.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. We really need the ability to "sync" a database to VCS repository, not just compare. I know this limitation exists by design because conflicts can be missed, but we have a scenario that demands it. We have batch check-ins that can take up to a half a day to commit manually.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Current behaviour: the CSV file represents null as the 8-character string “<NULL>” . e.g. If I have a table with an integer primary key column id, a varchar column a, and a varchar column b, and the table has one newly-inserted row (1, NULL, “asdf”), the CSV file would look like this:

o “Type”,”idk”,”as”,”at”,”bs”,”b_t”
    o “In1”,”1”,”<NULL>”,””,”asdf”,””

Desired behaviour: allow the CSV file to represent null as a completely empty entry. E.g. the CSV file would look like this:

o “Type”,”idk”,”as”,”at”,”bs”,”b_t”
    o “In1”,”1” ,, ””,”asdf”,””

Suggested options:

1) Command line switch toggling between…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. When comparing a VS 2012 database project to a database, when the only difference is ALTER vs. CREATE (which happens because a stored procedure ALTER was executed directly, then saved) the comparison fails. An option to ignore this difference would be very handy.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Unfortunately SQL Compare does not adopt the Comparison Options specified by the Source (here git repository created by SQL Source Control) which are saved in "ComparisonOptions.xml" in the git repository. Instead in SQL Compare I have to click on "Edit project" -> "Options" and check again "Ignore users' permissions and role memberships". This feels somehow not intuitive. During setup of the SQL Compare project a checkbox "adopt comparison options from source" would be nice - or maybe an "adopt" button just after setup.

I saved the SQL Compare project as an .scp file which in fact is an XML file.…

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Every time a SQL Compare project is closed, a modal dialog pops up to save unsaved changes every time, even if the project was just saved. This dialog should not pop up if the project is not dirty.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. There is an option to ignore identity seed values but none for sequence seed values.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. It is an option in sql replication to map rowversion/timestamp columns to binary(8) columns. It would be a nice option for sql compare to allow for this difference between databases. Without it every table is flagged up as being different which is a headache.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Version 15 adds checkboxes for Encryption and to Trust a server certificate, but if you don't maintain proper certificates you now always need to check the Trust server certificate box on both servers for new comparisons. It would be great if there was an option to default the behavior of these checkboxes to fit your environment.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. I'm using the Update software feature directly from the application. we have 3 products licensed, and i have to run all 3 updates separetely. i would be nice to install all 3 products with one setup run.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. For those of us working with data warehouses, using SORTINTEMPDB is the default behavior we need.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. I have some stored procedures created in database A with the statement 'create proc' and in databse B with the statement 'create procedure'.
    An option to allow me to ignore this case will very useful.
    Thanks, Ésio

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. I created a new database based on an existing but replaced all datetime columns by datetime2(2) and do not want to show this as difference neither want it be rolled back, when I create deployment scripts.

Same could happen, if I change the size of a varchar, decimal or integer datatypes (bigint <> int <> smallint ...) and even, if a number is in one database is stored in a varchar field, I could want to ignore this and deploy only everything else

See also
    https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/141379-sql-compare/suggestions/7109654-an-ignore-option-for-differences-between-varchar
    which suggests to ignore varchar vs. nvarchar

BTW: I solved my problem by syncing…

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Presently, when syncing database to folder, all object permissions are stored inside object definition files. We would like to change the way permissions are stored; we would like to have an option to store object permissions in separate files.

For example, the following entry appears in dbo.A.sql file:

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[A]
    (
    [b] [int] NULL
    ) ON PRIMARY
    GO
    GRANT SELECT ON [dbo].[A] TO [role_x]

We save data into folders which are then checked into GIT as branches. Or goal is to be able to track all table changes in branches before merging into master branch, which is automatically deployed…

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. It would be extremely helpful for the compare to highlight the one that is newer. When trying to decide if server 1 or server 2 wins, we need to know which ones were updated more recently on one or the other server.

Since the date fields are on extreme sides, it's difficult to compare dates.

Color for the newer one or putting the date columns in the center would be two ways to help with this. Color/bold would be ideal.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. My company is using SQLCompare 14 and always create roll forward and roll back sql with 2 calls by reversing the input arguments., We output the database into file system and compare both directories. It took 15 sec for the "Registering data sources" because we have a big Database. We have 10 or more database so that adds up the time to several minutes to build a patch every time we check-in .
    Can we add a switch to create both forward.sql and rollback.sql at one time instead of call this 2 times? This can cut our build time in…

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Option to delete identical records from Target.

I had the need to find all identical rows and remove them from the target as they shouldnt be there. I had to use the export to CSV, and using the data generator create a table with the 81k id's and then perform a delete in sql managment studio on the temp table to delete them.

It would be so simple an usfull to be able to just select an option to delete identical rows from target in the Data compare or is there an option to control this
    I can choose to…

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Compare already has a search filter, however it would be great if you could also search within the objects and not just by the object names.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. (1) the ability to compare 'similar/same' objects that are name differently
    (2) the ability to compare objects in the same database that are named differently
    (3) the ability to merge specific changes that are found, in both directions

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. In SQL Compare make it remember the filter you last choose.

I set up my filters and saved them to a file. Then picked that file in the filter drop down.

The next time I bring up SQL Compare, I have to pick the filter again from the drop down. SQL Compare should remember the last one I used. Or give me the option to remember it like The Project Options allow you to save as My Defaults.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?