Skip to content

SQL Compare

Welcome to the SQL Compare feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Compare at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-compare/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Compare, please visit the forums at https://forums.red-gate.com/viewforum.php?f=200 or our support portal.

SQL Compare

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

244 results found

1. Using the SQL Compare v. 13 CLI to exclude a role that exists only in the target database used to also skip permissions granted to that role. The resulting script did not revoke the role's permissions in the target. Now, in v. 14 (14.4.11.17350), excluding the role only keeps the role from being dropped. The resulting script revokes all permissions granted to that role in the target. We think this new behavior represents a defect that should be fixed. See my support request 225533. I am told there is a bug report that addresses this issue: SC-10183. However, I don't…

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Presently, when syncing database to folder, all object permissions are stored inside object definition files. We would like to change the way permissions are stored; we would like to have an option to store object permissions in separate files.

For example, the following entry appears in dbo.A.sql file:

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[A]
    (
    [b] [int] NULL
    ) ON PRIMARY
    GO
    GRANT SELECT ON [dbo].[A] TO [role_x]

We save data into folders which are then checked into GIT as branches. Or goal is to be able to track all table changes in branches before merging into master branch, which is automatically deployed…

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. In version 11.1.30.30, I have 2 database where objects only differ because on schema has names that are camel cased and the other is all lowercased; everything else is identical but keeps showing in list of 'objects tat exist in both but are different'

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Provide more support for resizing the app window...not the instance window ...that fine. The app window expands to the whole screen....this gives me the irrates as I need to get at stuff behind the SQL compare window

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. For example, add an "IF" as below:

IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.database_principals where name = 'xxx\yyyyyy')
    CREATE USER [xxx\yyyyyy] FOR LOGIN [xxx\yyyyyy]
    GO

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. I use SQL Compare very rarely. Most of the time I use it to find the differences between two databases with different structure version. And therefore I need to see in a blink of an eye what dml triggers are missing or outdated or whatever. Currently there is no possibility to filter for table objects like dml triggers.
    It would be very nice if there is an option to restrict the view depending on sub elements like Index, Column, Collation, Trigger.
    Maybe it would be enough if the seach bar at the top would also search the SQL view of…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add the ability to merge differences between two stored procedures into a new file that can be ran on the server on a line by line basis.

I.E. 10 lines are different in a stored procedure between a file in a folder and a file on the server. I only want to promote 5 of those differences up to the SQL server, adding the ability to merge those 5 changes into a new file would be super helpful instead of having to copy the file from the server and hand merge them.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. When SQL Compare apply an automapping on column name of a table, there is a little yellow image with "Auto Map" displayed on the table. It would be nice if a menu or double click or else would be availaible to open directly the column mapping of this table. It would be faster to see the mapping applied and correct it if needed.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Can we have an option that allow us to ignore the database users?

Thanks

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Please see this thread

https://forum.red-gate.com/discussion/comment/162865#Comment_162865

I would suggest that because the proposed solution requires knowledge and access to the Registry this should be a feature to edit the list.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. I just want to share the differences between two databases with the developer and will have to explain that added or removed does not mean that anything was actually added or removed yet.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. I understand that you have the ability to compare DBs to sqlproj but it would be nice to have it compare with a dacpac. That way I can build a project, persist that build number and deploy from that dacpac.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. I use SQL compare periodically as I have many clients who have the same core DB and so during development I use SQL compare iteratively to update schema, table and stored procedure changes through the 30 instances of the databases. I noticed that it progressively gets slower and consumes more RAM. Obviously I can close and restart to get a new allocation and it speeds up again. But I noticed that when starting it was consuming about 180Meg, then after maybe 15 compares the memory allocation was close to 1Gig. So something is definitely being allocated and not freed up.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add an additional "Compare all" button to compare all projects in the actual "Look in" folder. Show a simple is equal/different indicator on each project for the results.

Consider using VS-style solution files or kind of meta-scp.

This is somewhat similar to https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/141379-sql-compare/suggestions/13517250-auto-compare-after-oping-a-project-mass-compare

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. When comparing a TFS Changeset in SQL Compare it will show all schema changes that are different between the Changeset and the destination, but within a TFS Changeset, there is metadata within the Changeset to indicate which specific database objects are being changed within the Changeset. It would be a huge timesaver to allow SQL Compare to be able to only select the database objects that are actually being impacted by the Changeset by default. The situation I have is this:

Developer 1 - Adds a table to database A and checks in the change to the development database, but…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. The report header shows only the database name. Seeing BobsDB -> BobsDB isn't useful. I would rather have something like: DevServerName.BobsDB --> ProdServerName.BobsDB

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. There are some changes that are riskier than others, not because of the type of change, but because of the object. For example, some changes require rebuilding a table or index. This can be a simple process if there are a few hundred rows, but it's a risky, slow process if there are a few billion.

It would be nice to add a "risk" value to certain tables, so that when I see a list of changes, I can determine if this particular object ought to be separated out as a different deployment.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. When you right click on an object to see the deployment script and other options, include options for running immediately the script to target database. (to make it more interesting,to run the change script to any of the 2 compared databases).
    Also, this should be dome on the right and left scripts at the bottom of the page.
    Thanks

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. hello, i appreciate that we only need this feature because my company's processes are lacking but what I would love to have is to be able to...

right-click an object in SSMS and click an option called something like 'compare against other environment'.

it would then bring up a message box where you could browse an object-explorer for the corresponding object.

the use cases I see all the time for this are

1. when people have stored procs next to each other called

spSomeProc
    sp
    SomeProcv2
    sp
    SomeProcnew
    sp
    SomeProc.old

etc on the same database.

2 when you…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Hello

It would be great if there is documentation that explains how SQL Compare works. Everything I came across so far explains what it does but I didn't find the actual internals of it. I am particularly interested in how SQL Compare handles the dependencies between various objects. For example, how can it create a view before creating the tables the view is using?

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?