How can we improve SQL Compare?

Enable switching directions in sqlcompare.exe

sqlcompare.exe has a project switch. This allows you to prepare a project to sync selected objects that can be re-run against multiple targets (/server2, /database2). I would like to be able to build rollback scripts using the same project file (in an automated process). However, because there is no /direction switch if you swap /database1 and /database2 the selections are no longer valid. The selections must be tied to the original source database.

If I open the same project file in the SQL Compare GUI I can simply choose switch deployment direction (after running the compare). This provides the rollback that I am looking for but cannot be automated.

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JoeFJJoeFJ shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JoeFJJoeFJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do want to add that I did find a workaround. After diffing the scp files the only difference was actually the <Directory/> value. I was able to read the scp file and write out a new file with Directory = 1. This file works as expected. So, sqlcompare.exe does have the ability to reverse the direction and actually does. But, this functionality can only be accessed using a project. The application is just missing the command line switch. I guess the only time when you would want to reverse the direction is when you have objects selected. Otherwise you could just swap /1 with /2. It would still be nice to be able to set the direction using a switch instead of having a separate scp file just for this 1 character difference.

Feedback and Knowledge Base