How can we improve SQL Compare?

Select server from Central Management Server with project setup

We use a Central Management Server to catalog all the servers in our organization. The names of our servers are difficult to remember, so I constantly refer to the catalog when connecting to unfamiliar servers.

When I set up a project for a new server, I have to switch to SSMS, open the Registered Servers view, browse the central management server, copy the name from the list, switch back to SQL Compare, then paste it into the server field.

It would be much more convenient to integrate the catalog into the interface.

9 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Iain ElderIain Elder shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Iain ElderIain Elder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would you be able to share servers with colleagues or other Red Gate accounts?

We share servers by adding them to the central management server. Its hierarchy reflects our domain structure and server roles, so it's easy to browse to the right server.

Would you be able to sync your service with an existing source such as a central management server?

We don't want to maintain two catalogs manually to keep everyone up to date.

• David AtkinsonAdminDavid Atkinson (Admin, Red Gate) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're considering something along these lines, as we recognize how annoying it is to re-enter the same server information over and over, especially as most people have a fairly small number of servers they re-use regularly. This also applies to other configuration, settings and context that you may want to move with you when you change machines, or at the very least, be usable across different Red Gate tools. One idea we have is to store a list of favorite" or "recently used" servers in a Red Gate account linked to you. Would this work for you?

Feedback and Knowledge Base