Skip to content

SQL Compare

Welcome to the SQL Compare feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Compare at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-compare/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Compare, please visit the forums at https://forums.red-gate.com/viewforum.php?f=200 or our support portal.

SQL Compare

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

242 results found

1. When you add a non nullable column in a table, there is a warning that the script can fail. The generated script will issue will try to help by removing all contraints, rename the table and recreate it. This cannot be done on large table (with data). The only choice I have is to add the column as nullable, add the initialisation in the script and make it not null after. So, I would like to accept the warning and to let the 'alter table add column' been generated with a comment in the generated script. I guess to work…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Presently, when syncing database to folder, all object permissions are stored inside object definition files. We would like to change the way permissions are stored; we would like to have an option to store object permissions in separate files.

For example, the following entry appears in dbo.A.sql file:

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[A]
    (
    [b] [int] NULL
    ) ON PRIMARY
    GO
    GRANT SELECT ON [dbo].[A] TO [role_x]

We save data into folders which are then checked into GIT as branches. Or goal is to be able to track all table changes in branches before merging into master branch, which is automatically deployed…

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. I would like the option to compare user permissions, or system tables/views.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. I made a copy of a database for my application and implemented SQL Always Encrypted in the copy database. I did a compare back to the original, intending to get a deployment script to get those changes back into the original DB and SQL Compare isn't seeing the details of the columns related to encryption. I saw a message board post that indicated this isn't supported, but would like to request that support for this be added

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. I have trouble seeing the menu bar when using Remote Desktop app in Windows 10. The menu bar is very tiny and not completely visible. Very hard to work with.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. We really need the ability to specify big timeout periods as we're dealing with large tables with breaking changes (adding constraints) which require rebuilding the table, and we have no luck completing the task due to short timeout in SQL Compare.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Using the SQL Compare v. 13 CLI to exclude a role that exists only in the target database used to also skip permissions granted to that role. The resulting script did not revoke the role's permissions in the target. Now, in v. 14 (14.4.11.17350), excluding the role only keeps the role from being dropped. The resulting script revokes all permissions granted to that role in the target. We think this new behavior represents a defect that should be fixed. See my support request 225533. I am told there is a bug report that addresses this issue: SC-10183. However, I don't…

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Instead of opening SSMS every time I create a new script with the DEPLOY button, it would be nice to check if SSMS is already openned and then switch to it instead of opening a new SSMS each time, at the end of the day I have 20 SSMS open.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. I need to replicate a database for read-only reporting purposes and the production database is littered with all sorts of default constraints.

For example:
    ALTER TABLE [schema].[table] ADD CONSTRAINT [DFtablecolumn] DEFAULT ('Unknown') FOR [column].
    This is what the definition is in SSMS.

In SQL Compare:

[column] [varchar] (15) COLLATE SQLLatin1GeneralCP1CIAS NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DFtable_column] DEFAULT -- No text is available,

Now the constraint fails AND the comma separator for the next line is missing.

Another fun one:

[SCD Surrogate Hash Key] AS (CONVERT([varbinary](64),hashbytes('SHA2_512',coalesce(CONVERT([varbinary](50),[column]),0x00)+0x0001))) PERSISTED NOT NULL,

And SQL Compare loses all track…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. While using command line to generate a difference report (in html format), if the two databases are identical, the console output says:

Error: The selected objects are identical or no objects have been selected in the comparison. Use /include:Identical to suppress this error.

If I include the /include:Identical switch, then the error is not reported on the console, but the output html file has all the objects in it.

I don't want the console error as well as don't want the identical objects in the html file. This is what I want:

1. Don't want to use the /include:Identical switch
    2. If…
    11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Please could you consider adding support for the comparison of signatures between databases. Currently SQL Compare doesn't check for differences between module signatures, please refer to this forum post:

https://forum.red-gate.com/discussion/87404/module-signing-support

The consequence of this is that during deployment by SQL Compare, module signatures will be ignored, therefore causing deployed modules that depend on the signatures to fail during execution.

Additionally, should signatures be removed from a database using a command such as sp_refreshsqlmodule (which implicitly removes signatures), SQL Compare will not identify that the signatures have been removed.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. The comparison window seems to use a hard-coded value of 8 spaces for tab characters. The SSMS default value is currently 4 spaces per tab. So things that align just fine in SSMS are always wacky when displayed in SQL Compare. Couldn't you make this a user-configurable option?

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Should work on:

how to simply install SQL Compare/SQLToolbelt on AWS EC2 instance (Windows/Linux based)?

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. SQL compare regularly identifies a difference between the same index between the same table stored on 2 different databases as it seems to get confused with a different index then says the the same index underneath the 'different' one, should be deleted! It must not compare on the name of the index but maybe an order? Is this a bug?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. If would be handy in SQL Search to be able to right click/Modify instead of double clicking, waiting for what could be a last treeview list in SSMS to open, then having to right click/modify.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. When recreating statistics that were "Auto Created" they now become non "Auto Created".

This means when comparing the database against the original, because SQL Compare doesn't display "Auto Created" statistics, it looks like there are loads of new statistics

I found this as I am trying to change collation of everything in a database and have to recreate the statistics.

Please can there be an option to ignore statistics if they match based on name and the only difference is "Auto Created"?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. It would be nice to be able to navigate to the next diff (or previous) using a keyboard shortcut (e.g.: CTRL-N, F8, etc...)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. I just want to share the differences between two databases with the developer and will have to explain that added or removed does not mean that anything was actually added or removed yet.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Make script file an editable plain text file so we review, edit or programmatically generate the file.

Once the script file is used, there is no good way to retrieve what were included in that file, especially if the included objects have been removed.

It will help us keep track of changes across multiple scripts (SCP) over time.

Make it an option to compress it in case it is a large deployment.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?