How can we improve SQL Data Compare?

Create a Read-Only Executable version of SQL Data compare for Customers

I would like to create a SQL Data Compare project based on my requirements/comparisons/tables of my choosing, and be able to send my customers a read-only version of the project, where the only thing they can specify is which database's they would like to use.

The tables/data/schema that need to be synchronized would only be known at runtime, so the 'read-only executable' would have to analyze and then synchronize based on the databases of their choosing.

This would be an extremely handy tool to have since our customers databases are FDA regulated and so we would need to validate that there is no possible way they mucked it up.

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    DannyDanny shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DannyDanny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well Yes, but the problem would be that whoever opens this read only executable doesn't have SQL Date compare installed. So they wouldn't be able to run it from command line. I'm not entirely concerned with comparing constraints as I am with comparing the data within the two databases for changes

• David AtkinsonAdminDavid Atkinson (Admin, Red Gate) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You might be able to do this with the SQL Compare command line at the moment. If you save out a scripts folder from SQL Compare, and use SQL Data Compare to save static data to the scripts folder, you then have a representation of the database as you want it to be. You can then use the sqlcompare.exe command line, specifying the scripts folder as the /database1 data source to effect the deployment. The SQL Compare UI can't be used for this specific use case just yet as it doesn't currently pick up static data changes. This is a bit of an anomaly that will hopefully one day be resolved.

• DannyDanny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well I would personally only need it for SQL Data Compare at the moment to compare the data values but I definitely would not mind if it worked for SQL Compare as well to compare constraint, etc. between tables.

My database schema doesn't change actually, so that wouldn't be necessary. But it might be necessary for someone else lol.

• David AtkinsonAdminDavid Atkinson (Admin, Red Gate) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Did you want to post this in the SQL Compare suggestions site? Or do you want this tool to do a "dynamic" comparison for both schema and data? This is definitely a direction for our Deployment Manager tool.

Feedback and Knowledge Base