Suggest a new feature or enhancement...

Support for deploying multiple databases with one DB package

Currently the intended DB package is tied to a single database which means if multiple DBs need to be updated it needs as many packages. In multi-customer scenarios (One web site, multiple client databases) this is bit clumsy, the deployment of all dbs should be in sync (succeeds or fails transactively)

21 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Teemu KeiskiTeemu Keiski shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Justin CaldicottAdminJustin Caldicott (Admin, Red Gate) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Doug,

Presumably these are separate installations of the same schema? Are they updated on separate schedules or at once?

Re-reading the thread, it looks like there may be confusion about what is needed. If the customer installations are based on the same schema, then only one package is needed for all of them.

There might be some challenges when using the static upgrades method if there are many differences in schema between installations. We've plans on how to address this, at the same time simplifying the database deployment down to just one approach that covers the needs addressed by both the dynamic and static upgrade methods.

I'm happy to discuss any of this as is helpful; drop me an email to Justin.caldicott@red-gate.com

• Doug TuckerDoug Tucker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Separate packages for each database isn't practical when I've got thousands of target databases to keep in sync with each other AND in sync with the web site.

• Justin CaldicottAdminJustin Caldicott (Admin, Red Gate) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the suggestion Teemu,

Fully transactional deployments are certainly a goal for us. In regards to the databases being in the same package though, do you ever see needing to update just one of the databases? Separate packages for each database would allow more granular updates, and we could combine the upgrade scripts into a single transaction at deployment time?

• Teemu KeiskiTeemu Keiski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And in sync also with the web sites update. Rolling all back in case of a failure is a important feature (my employer is quite willing to pay for this , we need a bullet-proof system that can handle this)

Feedback and Knowledge Base