Suggest a new feature or enhancement...

Allow variables to control all sections in config files, not just appSettings and connectionString

The ability to control the appSettings and connectionString settings in config files with variables in a deployment project is great stuff, but I want more! :-)

It would be great to be able to control other sections as well.

As it stands, we've ended up with a hybrid solution consisting of variables and config file transforms; ideally, I'd like to be able to stick to one of these methods.

64 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mattias GMattias G shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Gareth BeaumontGareth Beaumont commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most definitely a requirement. James (Support) is just checking whether I can do it or not but all of our IIS sites use session states being saved in SQL. The config line falling outside the scope of the app settings and connection string sections.
        We use multiple live site connections so this is a biggy for us.
        This is a pretty standard MS offering for IIS sites so I'm surprised no one else has hit this problem yet. The app settings and connection strings transforming works a charm, its just a shame it doesn't currently extend to other sections in the web.config.

• Lee HullLee Hull commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very useful for things like NLog.config would be different per environment

• mbrembre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be great for us too because we're using an own NameValue section in config. So I wouldn't need so much web transformation files.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please! This is a feature im looking for myself. Too inflexible at the moment.

• Mattias GMattias G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Darn it! The header should have read:

"Allow variables to control all sections in config files, not just appSettings and connectionString". Sorry about the typo! (Where's that Edit button?!)

Feedback and Knowledge Base