Suggest a new feature or enhancement...

Add ability to include document/artifact/zip when creating a release

It would be great if there was the ability to include in the release documents/artifacts that are related to the release.

This could be done by extending the DeploymentManager.exe create-release command to include an additional param for artifact. Artifact can be a file (doc, pdf, xps, xls, zip, etc.). Ideally this would be used to communicate release notes.

Then in the DM UI, provide a means to display the artifact or allow opening the artifact. This gives DEV/QA/ITOPS clear visibility into any release note information and can be generated and included as part of the integrated build process.

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    TavisTavis shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Sean NewhamAdminSean Newham (Admin, Red Gate) responded  · 

I don’t think it’s likely we will do this, as we have good ways to include artifacts and release notes.

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sean NewhamAdminSean Newham (Admin, Red Gate) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Tavis,
        If you want to add in release notes that can be seen in DM, you can add the "--releasenotes=<notes>" option when creating a release to add a release note. If you have your notes somewhere online, you could link to them in here. This field allows markdown.
        If you are using RGPublish to package a .sln, then including the file in your solution as "content" will include the file. The other way of using RGPublish is to package a folder, in which case you can just pop the files in the folder and they will be in the package.
        I strongly recommend setting the release notes in the create release step, as DM knows what to do with it.

Feedback and Knowledge Base