Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

587 results found

1. Would be nice if SQL Source Control supported clearcase, or if an example of the config file usage were created.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. When comparing differences a double-click on the object could open a external diff viewer (if configured)

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. 7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. With 2.2 we now have the ability to create rule filters. However these are database specific. Need the ability to have a default set of rules, or copy rules from one database to another.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Working in a Team development, I do not want changes not to be commited to TFS. If I forget on closing, then a pop up window should ask you if you want to commit your changes.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. "Select object in Object Explorer" in Commit (like SQL Search), makes it a lot easyer to continue working on things, that is not yet commitet.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Currently, SQL Data files contain a bunch of insert statements, but the order of the insert statements can be inconsistent. For example, new records might get inserted on the top or the bottom. Also, multiple SET IDENTITYINSERT statements sometimes get created. This makes it difficuly to merge data changes between multiple branches in TFS Source Control. If the Insert statements had a consistent order and only included one SET IDENTITYINSERT diffs and merges would be easier.

530 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  Kendra responded

Thanks for this suggestion and for the many comments and upvotes. I realize that this is a pain point.

I have a few shorter-term workarounds to summarize as well as some information on the longer roadmap in this update. I know these shorter-term workarounds aren’t perfect (I summarize the pros and cons), but I’m posting them as they may help a few folks.

Workaround 1) When data changes to static data need to be made, use a “relink the table” pattern
    One can “cleanly rescript” a static data table in SQL Source Control by:

• Unlinking the static data table
    • Committing
    • Relinking the static data table
    • Committing

Pro: This works with the GUI and requires no special knowledge or comfort with TSQL. This may help folks with just a few static data tables.
    Con: This requires extra steps and results in extra commits in the history, which I realize can…

8. In our environment multiple projects make ddl changes to same database. But they dont make changes to a same table/procedure. It would be nice to have advanced settings which let one specify what objects go to what folder instead of an entire database.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In v2.2, which is expected to be released in the next few weeks, we’ve implemented Object Filtering, which allows you to specify which objects to inlcude/exclude for source control. Therefore, you could link a database and set up a filter so that only the tables/procedures your interested in for your project would be source controlled. Would this help?
    You can get the v2.2 Release Candidate at http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=13668 to try this out.

9. It would idea if you could see all linked server/databases within SQLSource Control and the version that they are running or at least the last version that they sync'd with

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. I word like to hav the posibility to revert changes using a rightclick i history.
    Both all (opper pane) the changes in a commit, and the changes to a specific object (middle pane).

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. source control version 2.2.1.16 takes forever to get latest , SQL 2008 R2, TFS

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. We use Mercurial for SCM and we can't use the 'History' option to rev our databases to a particular change as a result!

46 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. An option that prevents the addition of the EXEC sp_refreshview in the update script.

When updating queries that rely on linked servers and the linked server doesn't support distributed transactions the update fails and is rolled back.

Now we constantly have to manually alter the script by manually removing the EXEC sp_refreshview commands. This our server admins will not enable the DTC coordinator on the SQL servers

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. I have several encrypted stored procedures. The SSMS plugin is able to decrypt them so that I can submit them to source control, but I don't see a way to directly edit them from SSMS. My current solution is to create a local copy from subversion and checkout procedures from there and check them back in with my changes. Which makes me wonder why I need the RedGate plugin at all. I love that the RedGate plugin allows me to do all of my commits directly from SSMS and not have to use an external program.

I wish there was…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. It would be great to be able to use the keyboard to do fire off commands more quickly (especially when doing the same task on many objects).

A good example is that I granted a bunch of permissions to a user and then needed to accept my own changes which requires, using the mouse to select the item and then use the mouse again to select the radio button for "use mine". If there was a key combination to select "use mine" then I could just down arrow and then hit this particular key combination.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Be able to apply the SVN Relocate command. I often switch between our SVN server while on the LAN, but then when on the road I connect "relocate" to the SVN server using external IP address of the server using the SVN relocate command.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. If invalid objects get committed to source control, often others cannot Get Latest until the object is corrected and re-committed. Having an option to check for invalid objects before allowing a commit to proceed would prevent invalid objects from getting into source control in the first place.

23 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Is it possible to tell the tool to release memory. I notice it consumes an enormous amount which I can understand, but would like to release it once I'm finished using the tool. I understand it will have to consume the memory again next time it compares my db to the repository.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. If a table or column is dropped in svn, e.g. due to a merge from one branch to another, then Get Latest will happily do this without notice. Any data loss caused by Get Latest should at the very least cause a warning.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. I disable an index on an indexed view and source control doesn't detect the difference, but if I do script object as alter I see the disable line added.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?