Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

587 results found

1. In the diff panel, I would prefer to see the current version in source control on the left, and the database version on the right, as that's the same existing -> new order as all my other source control tools use. How about an option to do that (that would be remembered on restart of course)

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Our application is highly metadata driven thus we must treat our static data like source code. Specifically we need accept deleteions that are made locally, apply insertions made globally, and identify the differences. Currently Sql Source Control does NOT differentiate between rows missing from the local database because either 1) the local developer deleted them or 2) they were added by a global developer to the latest source code controlled version. In case 1, we want to drive that deleteion back into the latest source code controlled version. In case 2, we want to drive that insertion into the local…

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. If I do an undo on e.g. a stored procedure. SQL Source Control removes the extended properties from the database. The extended database properties are not checked in but removed on undo. We use these properties to store some metainformation about the database itself and readding them by hand after an undo is not that funny.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. When I look at my history, I can view all the objects in a specific version but when I click on "update to this version with SQL Compare" it get back ALL my un-synced objects.

If your systems are well synced this isn't a big deal but I have hundreds of objects that still requiring syncing so I have to search for each object and check it before I can commit.

It would be GREAT if the DB objects in a selected version were AutoChecked in SQL Compare.

It would make migrating on systems that are less than perfect much…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. I'm using Sourcegear Vault, but I suppose this could also apply to other SCM tools.

I'd like to see an option to change the source control folder for a database without unlinking and re-linking. This would simplify working with code that has multiple branches.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. We have some databases that get hammered overnight, tables are created, dropped so on (don’t ask, 3rd party databases = fail). Anyways, by the following day the database is back to its original state (schema wise). The databases have a "changes to commit" icon, however, when i right click and select "commit changes to source control..." it never finds anything different and i get "No objects with changes to be committed to source control".

This is repeatable and happens most mornings.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. if you work with several branches, it becomes kind of hard to keep track of everything, wouldn't it helpful to have a Source Control manager or something which shows all your branches and the databases connected to them.. then you can more easily make upgrade scripts between several branches if needed.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. would be really nice on the conflict screen if you didn't have to click up on the row then move mouse down to option button way at bottom, 185 TIMES! If you could just select a range and say 'take mine' or page down with arrow key and hit an F key F1 mine, F2 Theirs...

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. When I see a list of objects that require my attention via the "Get Latest" tab, I make those choices, which can eventuate in "nothing to do" and carry on working. I don't want to have to re-state those choices each time I start SSMS. Please provide a "Save Choices" facility to support this.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Validate Scheme - similar to VS for DB Pro "Build" e.g. dropping column on table will signal error / warning on a view that uses that column.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Working on the Company domain XX\ but Production is on RackSpace IAD\ means that every permission for domain users provokes a DIFF. I'd like the option to "ignore GRANT differences" for a target Instance. It should be OFF by default.

32 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. If other users have committed changes, it would be useful to see these so you know you need to get latest. This could be implemented as a different colored blob on objects so you know that they aren't up to date with the copy in source control

38 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Hi.

Does SQL Source Control detects and informs that a change in an object, for example, a column in a table changed from INT to BIT, will cause a break in other parts of the system like a stored procedure where that table is used?

If yes, how do I do that? If not, I would like to suggest this as a feature.

Thanks.
    Jose

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. We are working with several customer databases on a same version of our program. Is their a possibility to keep them in sync based on 1 source control folder?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Would like to be able to track the server-level security in source control. Logins, Server Roles, etc.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. If from Get Latest / Commit changes it is determined that an object shouldn't exist, currently there is no way to drop the object from the db, or delete it from TFS, via the SQL Source Control UI.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. If user wants to run sql profiler, and doesn't want all of this background database activity there should be an option in Red Gate to pause the source control polling it is constanly performing on the linked database.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We currently don’t have an option to pause polling in the tool, but you can confiugre an XML file. Please contact support@red-gate.com for details. This file would need to be set for each user.

You could also add a “Column Filter” in SQL Profiler’s Trace Properties’ Events Selection where “Application Name” is “Not like” “Red Gate%.” That should filter out the polling in your trace.

I hope this helps!

18. When dealing with big Databases (100's of tables, views, sp's etc) "Determining Latest Version" and "Calulating Changes" can take ages, you cant navigate away to another database because the Source Tab restarts on the new database. If you cant speed this up, a progress indicator would be helpful when working on multiple databases and multi-tasking.

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Support to check-in database diagrams

156 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Are there any plans to support DB2, MySQL, and PostgreSQL? I could use SQL Source Control and SQL Compare for our DB2 and MySQL databases on Linux. Support for PostgreSQL on Windows servers would be useful as well.

41 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?