Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

587 results found

1. Provide the capability to save the users last sort settings. For example on the Commit tab if I sort by last changed by (asd); the next time I go to the Commit tab it should be sorted by last changed by (asd).

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. SQL Source Control should officially support partially contained databases

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Make SQL Source Control external to SSMS like SQL Compare. This would allow the developer to use what ever IDE they want to and still commit the changes the same way. I would use SQL Compare to make changes, but it can't do everything SQL Source Control can. Mainly the migration scripts and the pre and post scripts.

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. While it is great the SSC supports Git, I have found that when connected to a large repository, SSC can take forever to commit or do a get latest.

I have also noticed that the working base and transient folders can grow quite large as the whole Git repo is cloned into these folders. I have had to periodically go in there and have Git compress it's objects so that I can reclaim some disk space.

I imagine that the performance of SSC is related to the size of the Git repo and I just feel like there is room…

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Redgate still does not Support Database properties??

They shuold support properties like (Transaction Isolation level (Read Committed, Snapshot)Ansi Null, Quoted Identifier). These are Crucial. I cannot believe these are not in source control yet. The product has been out since 2006.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Right now the SOC pane is linked to the database in Object Explorer. The problem in this is that the pane can't work asynchonously to get changes while I move on.

Give the slow performance of looking for changes and populating the commit tab, can we

1. Put a drop down in the SOC pane to choose the db
    2. Have the Commit popular process (refresh) be set to work with this database asynchronously. Either allow me to set a polling interval or click the refresh button, but then allow me to move to another tab and continue to work.
    3. Same for…
    13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. I am using GIT and SQL Source Control. After running "Pull from remote repository" in the Get Latest tab, the only option is to Apply changes which directly updates the database.

If the changes include something like the classic renaming of a column, it will drop the column and add a new one and I lose data.

I would like to be able to simply generate a script so I can review it and manually apply it rather than directly update the database.

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Allow for custom formatting used by SQL Prompt to also be used when committing code with SQL Source Control.

125 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. When changing a data type used in a SP (e.g. add a new column to it and commit it). getting latest fails on other linked DBs. You have to drop the SP on the target DB.
    The weird thing is that sometimes it works, but most of the times it doesn't. Not sure why the behavior is not the same all of the times...

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Currently accessing the log of the version control system is very slow.
    On a good computer it takes me 20 seconds to open the view history from your menu.

To open the same log through tortoise svn it takes me 2 seconds to lokate the ex. "Open working base" under the "Under the hood menu" in Setup and 1 second to launch the tortoise SVN log viewer for the project.

Could you please consider adding a possibility to either open the history quicker, or alternatively allowing the user to open the version control log in an external viewer.

Maybe there…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. While I know that the "dark theme" is not officially supported in SSMS, it would be nice if Source Control would support whatever theme is selected in SSMS. In fact, I would like to see the theme scheme available across all of the Redgate product family of tools.

53 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. SQL Source Control and SQL Prompt may not know about an environment (i.e. a developer not having access to staging or production server) and there's not really a facility in either tool to store information about the version of any environment.

Thus, SQL Source Control has to ensure backward and forward compatibility when creating migration scripts - which then triggers Code Analysis Errors in SQL Prompt...! It is a mess to clean up, and frankly a waste of time.

I suggest a feature where I can define my environments in the Tab Coloring in SQL Prompt including a listing of…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. I've been told this is by design: When upgrading SQL Source control from say v5 to v6 all of the source control linked db configs are left behind in the previous AppData folder (%localAppData%\Red Gate\ SQL Source Control 5\ in my example) not moved to the new upgrade version folder (%localAppData%\Red Gate\ SQL Source Control 6)

This leaves a history of folders in every users profile, and for us 'from the beginning' users I've got v3-v6 folders that I shouldn't need.

I'm told this is for Network and rollback reasons.

I suggest a checkbox or some such thing during the…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. If you use multiple branches for a database and you need to switch branches there is no way to change branches in SSMS. While opening some UI for git or using the command line is not difficult it would be nice to just switch to some branch, pull and apply changes, as needed/wanted all inside of SSMS

207 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. It would be great if we could integrate SQL Source Control with our build scripts. For example a simple command line command to get the latest changes and apply (or script) them to our staging environment would be great. Or a command to commit all changes to source control.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. When we look on the Commit tab at all the changes which have been made to our test environment, it would be useful to be able to see if objects are still being worked on (and who by). Could we have a column next to "Last changed by" to indicate the user who has the object locked?

For example, if one of our developers is still working on a given stored procedure, they don't want me nagging them to check it in if it is a part of a larger piece of work, which will all be checked in together…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. It is very hard to do manual database link to repository/SVN if dealing with large number of databases (200 plus within one team) across large number of source control group. Every team member has to spend time and carefully map repository folder.

One user perform manual link to repository and his/her/ setting validated by QA Team before distributing link config file (xml) to the user group.

The basic requirement is user should be connected with the DB server and pass the repository path and credential. you may design few screen to navigate and collect user input based on provider input…

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. The list of conflicted objects can become so long that the message dialog becomes taller than the screen height. Since the dialog also lacks a scrollbar and cannot be resized, this makes it impossible to click Yes or No when prompted.

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. The deprecated RAISERROR, and newer THROW T-SQL instructions can use custom (user-defined) messages written into the sys.messages table using sp_addmessage.
    Since these are part of the "source" of a database in SQL Server, and should be syncronised across developers and implemented in production, it would be nice if the custom messages saved in this table can also be added to the static data in a repository.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. We have found that Source Control object locking can cause severe lag and even instability in SSMS for distant servers. The additional lag affects the SSMS Object Explorer contextual dialogs (right-click). Often the dialog will timeout and fail to render or multiple tries. Although we are able to disable object locking via the RedGateSQLSourceControlEngine_EngineOptions.xml file it would be much nicer to have control from the GUI. This could be in the form of a global on/off switch, or could even add functionality to blacklist certain servers. Alternatively, you could build in some kind of functionality to detect servers…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?