How can we improve SQL Source Control?

Allow me to specify a subset of columns for static data like I can in SQL Data Compare

I do not want to source control certain columns in my reference tables (e.g., update date/times since these are different on each server and get set by a DEFAULT).

178 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Red Gate AdministratorAdminRed Gate Administrator (Admin, Red Gate) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JamesJames commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I figure that SQL Data's engine is being used for the static data comparison, so why not give the ability to customize which columns are compared? (this is a pretty old request so maybe it's there..that would be awesome)

• Phil HelmerPhil Helmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any update on this? We are having to add a lot of steps to our process because this feature is missing. Granted, SDC can do the work, but now we are forking our work by tool (1 method for schema, 1 for data) instead of usage (1 method for the "always like this" items and another for the "where are we deploying it?" items).

• Paul JenkinsPaul Jenkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know of an orgranization that does not require audit columns on all of their lookup tables (static data). Not having the ability to do this makes the static data mechanism useless for organizations with auditing standards.

• Jason DuffettJason Duffett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem we have is that the current EAP builds of SQL Source Control aren't usable because of the limited data support.

We use the tools in the following way:
        1. A single SVN repository
        2. SQL Source Control for developers to check-in changes to this source tree.
        3. Custom SQL Compare and SQL Data Compare scripts to deploy changes from the repository to our test, staging, production environments

Testing we've done with the pre-release SQL Source Control have failed because it always tries to overwrite the data in the repository.
        We won't be able to use the new release unless either we can completely disable data support in SQL Source Control, or the data support is enhanced to allow us to specify which columns to source-control.

Feedback and Knowledge Base