How can we improve SQL Source Control?

Treat column ordering as a change

I know it doesn't really matter, but I like my columns to be in a consistent order. I would like any table DDL to cause the table to be regenerated if necessary in order to ensure that column ordering is maintained.

21 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Corrin LakelandCorrin Lakeland shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Tanya JosephTanya Joseph responded  · 

Good news …This is now available on SQL Source Control v2.1 :)

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • David AtkinsonAdminDavid Atkinson (Admin, Red Gate) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Adam - This was fixed in a 2.x patch release. Simply visit Help/Check for Updates and install the latest version. No additional purchase is necessary if you've currently got a license for v2. However, if you haven't purchased the support and upgrades option, you'll need to pay 70% of the price of the tool if you want to upgrade to v3 later. Please contact sales@red-gate.com for more information about how you can amend your order.

• AdamAdam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We just bought a license to SourceControl. Will this feature be a part of a bug fix, or will we have to buy a new release to get it?

• JennyJenny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see this as a configurable option, consistent with Red Gate SQL Compare, as in some cases it will matter to users and in other cases it may not.

• Michael FabacherMichael Fabacher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not sure how this was overlooked, call it a non-substantive or similar, its a bug to me. If we are not considering apples to apples changes in source code control, its akin to walking on egg-shells wondering when things will break next. There is a physical and logical order to objects, sometimes it matters, sometimes not. Order counts in general and at least an option to maintain physical order should be fixed. Most, if not all the ERD, case tools enforce physical ordering (ERwin, ERStudio Data Architect, DeZign, etc.), it would be criminal for changes to be halted at the source code level.

• Matt KarpMatt Karp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This matters to us at our company. A change in the column order can easily break existing t-sql and/or code. I wouldvery much like this treated as a change as it is indeed a change.

• KarlKarl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like to have an Option to force column order. Since I am using NET 4.0 Entity Framework. Here order does matter, because code generators for the entity objects depend on the order in the database.
        After restoring a production database I got compile errors when I regenerated the model.

• JohnFxJohnFx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I disagree. I'd prefer that non-substantive changes not be counted. Perhaps this should be a configurable option?

Feedback and Knowledge Base