DLM Dashboard

DLM Dashboard (previously called SQL Lighthouse) is a tool that monitors your database schemas in order to alert you about unexpected changes – often called database drift. Once alerted, users can choose to take remedial action. This might be to rollback the change, apply it to another database or script the change into version control. To find out more about what DLM Dashboard does and how it works, please visit our “website”: http://www.red-gate.com/products/dlm/dlm-dashboard/.

If you have any questions or need help with Redgate’s free tool DLM Dashboard, please visit our “support forums”: http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/viewforum.php?f=176.

DLM Dashboard

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

1. As some of the changes might be done by a procedure schedule through a SQL agent job, it would be very helpfull if a filter could be applied to ignore changes made by specific users.

43 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. For example we have a changeset like:

Version 1.3: Add Missing Indexes

And this script would be run on all pipelines but each Schema drift would have to be named differently which is just confusing for users it would be great to see the same name in each pipeline for the same changeset.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  History  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. When reviewing changes, you can click "Download SQL", which prompts a file download for a .sql file. The server response forces a file download prompt by sending the .sql file with "Content-Type: application/octet-stream".

Sometimes I want to download the SQL but I don't really need it to be a file; just inline in the browser is fine because I just want to copy a few lines to the clipboard or something. The file download just turns into a lot of needless clicks. It would be nice if the "Download SQL" link were "Download SQL File | Raw".

Clicking File…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. When reviewing a drift in sprocs running hundreds of lines of code, it is hard to find the line that changed because the UI presents the full file with no links or shortcuts to the changes. Since the full SQL statement is available as a download, the UI should only show the changed lines and maybe +3 lines above or below for context.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. I have installed a filter that excludes all User and Role changes. However, a SQL GRANT EXECUTE TO user statement appears as an Update. The type is Unknown. Is it possible to filter these out as well?

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Hi RedGate,

I tried out DLM Dashboard today. I set it up to monitor a handful of servers (16 DBs in total) around 4 hours ago. It was installed on a VM with only 4GB of RAM, but the requirements at http://documentation.red-gate.com/display/DDB1/Requirements?_ga=1.195114735.2137023563.1395078488 did not list a RAM requirement, so I wasn't expecting it to be an issue.

Just now I was forced to restart the DLM SQL Server Monitoring Service because it was consuming almost all of the system's available RAM, and in the time that I have been writing this it has already climbed back up to over 2.5GB.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. So we have specific groups that work on certain projects/pipelines. The ability to configure email notification groups based on the pipeline there're working on would be awesome i.e. group A working on pipeline A only gets pipeline A drift notifications. Group B working on pipeline B only gets pipeline B drift notifications

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Email Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. show find change history of single objects, (who, when and what has changed on an explicit object.)

61 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  History  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. It would be great if the hostname who made the change was included, incase people use the same login name. We have developers who all use the same login e.g. developer so seeing who made the change is not possible, as it says login name developer but can it also include hostname e.g. pauls-laptop

34 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  History  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. It would be nice to have an option to ignore column order and index order

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. I'd like to be able to sort the drifts to the top of the dashboard instead of always having them in alphabetical order. I believe that the reason you are going to the dashboard is to see the drifts, so they're the most important items and I'd like to see mine up top instead of scrolling down to find them all.

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Add a filter option for jobs by APP_NAME

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Allow DLM Dashboard to seamlessly support databases that are in Availability Groups.

Currently, you have to create the objects on one server, then fail the AG over to the other servers, and recreate the objects there. Otherwise, when the AG is failed over, DLM has problems.

Ideally, this process would be seamless, behind-the-scenes (or maybe with a prompt to the user configuring the DB for use with DLM Dashboard to indicate that the DB is part of an AG, and therefore the process will also run against the other servers).

(Logged off the back of a support ticket 55607)

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Please expand the filter documentation to have an example for each type of filter available.

Also, allow me to filter out those changes that are listed as " The object may have been rolled back." We drop indexes and then rebuild indexes as part of daily data loads. I don't need to see this in the list.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Ability to add scripts that manipulate data to do particular data activity before or after changes are made to another environment. For instance if we identified duplication of data there would be data cleansing script as well as new index. Dashboard will show the new index but script to clean data will remain in source control or folder and can easily be missed in deployment.
    I am looking for single point of integration to see manual scripts as well as DDL detected changes.
    Ideally all of these would be integrated with source control. For instance redgate source control allows adding…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Version Control  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Currently when we see a new table, the NVARCHAR columns also specify the collation that they are using. If the collation was not specified and the default is being used, I would like to not see the collation in the diff shown in the dashboard.

This is likely an issue in more places than just new tables, likely other spots with (N)VARCHAR columns.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. On all tabs, particularly the Home tab, there is way too much wasted screen real estate. On my 1920*1080 resolution monitor, I can see a whopping 2.5 rows (pipelines) at once. That's ridiculous.

35 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Offline Databases show up in the "Add Databases View" - show a hint or remove offline DB's from the list

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. I would like to be able to bulk acknowledge the same changes made to multiple databases in a pipeline.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. On the dashboard you can see how many changes that has been done by a particular user in a database. I think it would be great if you could filter the view on changes per user in the same way as another suggestion posted here: that you should be able to filter the dashboard on object level.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?