DLM Dashboard

DLM Dashboard (previously called SQL Lighthouse) is a tool that monitors your database schemas in order to alert you about unexpected changes – often called database drift. Once alerted, users can choose to take remedial action. This might be to rollback the change, apply it to another database or script the change into version control. To find out more about what DLM Dashboard does and how it works, please visit our “website”: http://www.red-gate.com/products/dlm/dlm-dashboard/.

If you have any questions or need help with Redgate’s free tool DLM Dashboard, please visit our “support forums”: http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/viewforum.php?f=176.

DLM Dashboard

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

1. I ran into a scenario where I added 4 databases to the dashboard (dev/test/pre-prod/prod), where dev and test where identical, and pre-prod and prod were identical (changes hadn't progressed past test yet).

When adding the databases, the dev database was labeled as "(local)\dev on <date>". Then, adding the test database, it was detected as the same as dev, so it got the label "(local)\dev on <date>", as they were identical. The same issue happened with pre-prod and prod.

This seemed confusing and misleading - I ended up raising a support issue as it appeared to be a bug.

I suggest…

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  History  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. I'm attempting to setup the TeamCity integration with DLM Dashboard, and I am running into authentication issues, ie 401 Unauthorized (this has been raised as a support issue).

As a more general idea though, I suggest that things like the TeamCity integration should be done using API keys, The way OctopusDeploy does it is good if you want something to take inspiration from.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. I've just setup the DLM Dashboard on a server Azure, and it appears there is no way of configuring it to use HTTPS / TLS.

This may already be possible, if so, please can you document how to set this up.

If not, please allow HTTPS for the dashboard. The process used by OctopusDeploy is quite nice, if you need inspiration.

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. We have multiple subscriber databases that should have identical schemas. We want to ensure that all those databases remain identical over time.

I'd love to be able to apply a single schema to multiple databases and keep track of when one or more of those databases stray from that schema.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

When you have given a schema version a name in DLM Dashboard it will spot all other databases that have the same schema, and automatically label them with that name. If any databases change then that should be picked up as drift.

5. Before loading the Differences screen, have options pre loading for filtering. When loading this page, DLM will often give a list of every single View in the database, with the statement "No details available", which causes a huge load of the web browser (Firefox, with just this page open and DLM is using over 2Gb!). It also means it takes a very long time to load the page, and makes it impossible to actually tell what changed.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Version Control  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. So my install is on a satalite environment, I can access it via IP from anywhere but not by DNS name (granted I could use a host file entry on every machine I use but who wants to do that?).

I would like to be able to change the URL base just like I can in SQL Monitor.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Email Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Management is curious about what is changing and who all are changing the database. They also want to know that unintentional changes are minimized. So, a print of history over a specific period of time will be helpful

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  History  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Amazon RDS does not support server level triggers, so needs an alternative mechanism to detect the changes, e.g. a database level trigger

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Right now (and admittedly I've not tried it but I've looked at how it works) it looks like the Dashboard knows nothing about full fledged 'official' deployments and requires you manually approve each change made via the DLM automation suite (e.g. Octopus).

If this is the case, then in order to be part of the suite it MUST be able to track these changes and label accordingly with no user intervention.

For me, this dashboard is ONLY useful if it tells me about unauthorized changes - I care not a jot about ones made by Octopus since, at that point,…

36 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  History  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re currently working on an API integration between tools in the Automation Suite and the dashboard. Our aim for the feature is to be able to do exactly this – picking up version numbers from your Continuous Integration/Release Management tools and auto approving changes from your approved pipeline.

10. Looks like you're using RavenDB to store change acknowledgements etc. Would be SO much easier if you used Sql then power users like myself could automatically mark certain changes as kosher without you guys having to write code to do it.

30 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  History  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re considering how to make the data we have more available and extensible, so that you can use it elsewhere. Please add any comments you have to this thread to continue the discussion

11. Perhaps I'm not using this correctly but I need to update multiple dbs to a certain schema. Ideally I'd use the same name in the field "Name this schema" when I'm reviewing the change so I can track that the dbs are indeed at the same schema version. Or perhaps there's another way to do this?

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Version Control  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The dashboard spots when two databases have the same schema. If you name it on one database then the dashboard should automatically give the name to your second database. If it’s not doing so then you may have uncovered a bug in the tool – please could you email dlmdashboardsupport@red-gate.com and we can work out what’s happening?The dashboard spots when two databases have the same schema. If you name it on one database

12. I would like to be able to select some of the changes listed and have a change report created like you can create in SQL Compare. I would then be able to save this report locally so that I can email it to my team to ask about the changes.

This is would be very helpful when team members are allowed to make changes to the dev schema, but don't always make the best design choices.

141 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Integrating the dashboard with an option to push any of the items that drifted in a database to a Git repository (or other brand of SC) would be incredibly helpful.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  History  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Centralize the Red Gate Database, DDL and SP scripts only on the monitoring server. All the monitored DBs will be pointing to this centralize DB and no need to create red gate DB and scripts on each monitored server

35 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. I'd like a way to auto-upgrade quickly to latest version, like the other Redgate tools

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Show host name so dba can knwon the workstation where the change was made.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  History  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Would it be possible to use an existing database instead of creating a new RedGate database? I already have a management database on each server, it would more sense to me to use that instead of having to create a new RedGate database on every server I want to track.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add ability to tag a change with user-defined tags. Examples can be development tasks or projects that the changes relate to, etc.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. One of our applications uses around 14 databases. I don't need to see them all separately. I just need to know if any of those databases has changed.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. We run only SQLServer 2005 instances, so I am not even able to try this product.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?