Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

53 results found

1. prevent timeout on commit changes tab for larger db in shared database model

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  Paul Stephenson responded

The timeout occurs when SQL Source Control runs a SQL query to find out which user made the changes that need to be committed, and the server takes too long to respond.

SQL Source Control 3.6.0 improves this situation, so that if a timeout occurs you can still go ahead with the commit. This version is currently available on Frequent Updates. To learn how to turn on frequent updates, see: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

2. When comitting:
    Andy makes an edit and "Changed By" shows "Andy" (but does not yet commit).
    James then makes an edit and "Changed By" is now "James", but does not mention "Andy"

It would be useful if it could show "Andy, James", to highlight a potential conflict.

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. I have a table type with "(IGNOREDUPKEY=ON)" on it. Sql Source control doesn't preserve this and doesn't see this in the SqlServer database schema on the table type

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. If I make a change to a proc in management studio editor, then execute the alter. That change is not reflected in object explorer until i do a refresh of object explorer. After the commit SQL source control still show a change and this can result in your change reverting if you press commit again. Therefore sql source control should do a refresh of the committed object in object explorer after every commit.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. We generally share one database, but occasionally our developers keep a local version. All of these point to source control, which we consider the 'official' version of the database. A developer could commit changes to source control from their dedicated database. They could even edit the code manually.

However, if we set up the shared database under the 'shared' model, we can't get latest from source control.

We currently work around it by setting every database as 'dedicated', even the shared database, but then we miss out on keeping track of which users made which modifications.

Please offer a 'Mixed'…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. I want a check on commit for all the items I intend to check in to make sure that there is not a newer version available. In the case where there is, I want to be presented with a list of those changes for review before anything is committed.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Everytime I try to Get Latest I get the following....

System.Exception: Failed to update to the head revision after 10 attempts ---> System.Exception: Failed to update to the head revision after 10 attempts
    at RedGate.SQLSourceControl.Engine.LinkedDatabase.GetDatabaseFolderWorkspaces(ICancellableOperationStatus status, IScriptFolderStructure scriptFolderStructure, IReadOnlySourceControlServerCallBacks callBacks, SourceControlRevision& revision)
    at #GWeb.#WXM.#Fieb()
    at #GWeb.#Wheb.#tieb(Func1 )
    at #GWeb.#WXM.#8ZW(Boolean )
    at #GWeb.#XXM.#yRW()
    at #GWeb.#WXM.#qYM()
    at #GWeb.#XXM.#iS()
    at #qlhb.#0heb.#l36(String , #1heb , ICancellableOperationStatus )
    at #qlhb.#K3c.#83c(String , #O9U , ICancellableOperationStatus , IReadOnlySourceControlServerCallBacks )
    at RedGate.SQLSourceControl.Engine.Diff.Memoization.ReattachableMemoizer.#A3.#eL5b(ICancellableOperationStatus )
    at RedGate.SQLSourceControl.Engine.Diff.Memoization.ReattachableMemoizer.#YZBc.#jzb.#Qnw()
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at RedGate.SQLSourceControl.Engine.Diff.Memoization.ReattachableMemoizer.#YZBc.#VAb.#xSXc()
    at RedGate.SQLSourceControl.Engine.Diff.Memoization.ReattachableMemoizer.#uz2b(String , IDatabaseConnection , #1heb , ICancellableOperationStatus , IReadOnlySourceControlServerCallBacks , Action

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. When developing in shared enviroment, I'd love a history tab that I can review all revisions with details, and not have to have a modal window separately. I believe this should be integrated into the main source control tab as change history log. This could help make others aware of changes made that could affect them, yet were already committed. Thanks!

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. When you get conflict when commiting changes it would be nice to be able to right click and open proc/table in new sql editor, do you change (merge) and continue.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Shared mode is perfect for small team DEV environment, but status update delayed to sync is annoying....is there a way to config the sync frequency?

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. I have a service broker application where some parts such as service routes etc must be defined per database configuration, thus certain components change per installation so it would be nice to tag such items as TO DO items, like wise once complete when comparing to latest or changes the item is not displayed as an object that has changed.

Going further it might be nice to populate table data that also configures per installation as well

perhaps use of extended properties, or a file present in source. I had taken the source code and placed a comment in it…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. I had to apply this index to tempdb (created by my missing index script).

CREATE INDEX [missingindex2019RG_AllObjects] ON [tempdb].[dbo].[RG_AllObjects] ([Expired]) INCLUDE ([DatabaseID], [ObjectType], [ObjectID])

This is a work-around until the DB service gets re-started and then I have to re-execute the statement because tempdb gets re-built.

Also, there is no way that I know of to disable Sql Prompt which was blocking the create index statement. The only way I got the index applied was to hop to another computer without Sql Prompt.

Index management in tempdb needs to be managed better.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. I see the changes to be checked in , these may have been done by other developers. I want to compare the changes about to be checked in against the previous version to see what changed before I check in.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. We couple applications with schemas, not databases. It would be great to link source control to just one schema, rather than the entire database. This way, we can source the code for the application and the database in the same branch

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Create a way I can synchronize:

1. NON REPLICATED database X REPLICATED database
    2. REPLICATED database X REPLICATED Database

Ability to syncronize tables/columns, views, sps, triggers, functions, indexes and constraints.
    Avoid displaying individual constraints used for replication. E.g. Constraints that use range of IDs, Indexes of merging, etc.

== OR ==

Allow me to:

1. Filter Table COLUMNS by Name or part of it; E.g. 'rowguid', '% column name %'
    2. Filter Constraint Name or part of it; E.g. 'replidentity%'
    3. Filter Index by Name or part of it; E.g. 'MSmerge_%'
    61 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. the ability to move column order
    Example I would like the Owner Column next to the Object Name

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. SQL has the feture to view object dependencies. but, it dont have it for SQL logins. So, it will be good to have this feature in this s/w

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Without any changes on the database, SQL Source Control creates a tracked changed alternating between these two partitioning functions:

CREATE PARTITION FUNCTION [TranDate] ([datetime2] (0))
    AS RANGE LEFT
    FOR VALUES (N'2007-01-01 00:00:00', N'2008-01-01 00:00:00', N'2009-01-01 00:00:00', N'2010-01-01 00:00:00', N'2011-01-01 00:00:00', N'2012-01-01 00:00:00', N'2013-01-01 00:00:00', N'2014-01-01 00:00:00', N'2015-01-01 00:00:00')

and

CREATE PARTITION FUNCTION [TranDate] ([datetime2])
    AS RANGE LEFT
    FOR VALUES (N'2007-01-01 00:00:00', N'2008-01-01 00:00:00', N'2009-01-01 00:00:00', N'2010-01-01 00:00:00', N'2011-01-01 00:00:00', N'2012-01-01 00:00:00', N'2013-01-01 00:00:00', N'2014-01-01 00:00:00', N'2015-01-01 00:00:00')

Could something be done about it?

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. After creating the database, I added to the shared database model and commited the objects to the repository, but the spinning wheel is not gone and it looks like it is busy or just unable to reset the icon. Even after I disconnect from the database server in my SSMS, my cursor still has the spinning wheel on it. Looks like a bug and it is really annoying and confuses the hell out of users about the status of Source Control process.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?