Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

15 results found

1. In order to access some options, such as enabling SQL Source Control in multiple instances of SSMS, you have to access a section of the setup tab that you can only get to after you have a database linked to a version control. This kind of thing should be available without having to go through all of that.

As an example of where this comes into play, I open a local DB that I have no intention of attaching to SC and do some work. I then open another DB in another SSMS instance that I do want to deal…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The latest frequent update release of SQL Source Control (5.8.0) implements the Global Options as a dialog. You can access it by clicking “Options” in the top right corner. Thanks for your feedback.

2. High DPI screen scaling doesn't work well with SSMS 2016 RC3.
    The source control screen doesn't fill the entire work area, but just takes up a small rectangle in the top left (approximately 50% x 50% of the work area).
    This occurs on a 3840x2160 pixel screen, SSMS version 13.0.14000.36, red gate source control version4.4.0.1714 standard

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. When we use SQL Compare from source control to source control, the URL of our source code control repository appears at the end of the script. This is causing security issues for us. There should be a non-manual way to remove this link.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Elizabeth Ayer responded

I am delighted to let you know that this is now released! With Migrations in SQL Source Control 5, the URL to your repository no longer appears.

If you don’t have the tool installed, you can download it from http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you already have SQL Source Control you can get the new version via Check for updates in the Help menu of SQL Source Control inside SSMS.

You can see other Migrations examples and tutorials here: https://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SOC5/Migration+script+examples

Thank you for sticking with us while we worked on this, and please keep the feedback coming!

4. It takes a while to setup all the exclude filters, and this time is worse when the solution to a problem is to unlink and relink. Provide a way to quickly exclude tSQLt content and/or save / restore filters.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. In the "Link to source control" screen there are a number of options.

We use branches, so our working folder is always the most relevant to what we are doing.

When we point the link to the WorkingFolder, everything is great, however, the "Migrations" tab is not available for this type of connection.

This is a pity, because we need to create a migration script that will update the main trunk, when we merge our branch back in.

Please enable the Migrations feature for the "Workingfolder" type of link.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am delighted to let you know that this is now released! You can now create migrations scripts even when you’re using working folders.

If you don’t have SQL Source Control installed, you can download it from http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you already have SQL Source Control you can get the new version via Check for updates in the Help menu of SQL Source Control inside SSMS.

You can see other Migrations examples and tutorials here: https://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SOC5/Migration+script+examples

Thank you for sticking with us while we worked on this, and please keep the feedback coming!

6. We already have our database in SVN, is there a way to access that repository?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Currently Source Control information is stored in database extended properties in the database being source controled. This requires Alter Database. In production those of us who use RedGate for Source Control, do NOT have Alter database because only the sys admins have that. And they do not want to bother with RedGate as they are just acting as auditors not database developers in production. Other environments we have full rights, just not production. It would be great to have an option to store the "Version", "Linked to" and "Migration folder" in a file not in Extended properties in the database.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry that this has taken so long to deal with, but I’m pleased to say that the latest version of the migrations feature no longer requires extended properties on your database.

This means that as of version 5.1.1 of SQL Source Control, Alter Database permissions are no longer required.

Mike Upton
    Technical Lead | SQL Source Control

8. Allow SQL Source Control to work on SSMS 2012, where SSMS 2008 and 2012 are both installed on the same machine

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Initial Setup  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. When clicking the "Add a Migration Script" link on the Commit Changes tab, the TFS url and port are read only. As we use TFS on port 80 instead of port 8080, we cannot use this feature.

The same applies when setting up the link on the Setup tab.

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Migrations in SQL Source Control 5 no longer requires a separate repository, so you should now be able to use it with your setup.

If you don’t have the tool installed, you can download it from http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

10. I had to uninstall RedGate SQL Toolbelt today, and this involved uninstalling 13 separate products individually. It would be nice if the easy installer could uninstall just as easily.

(So you aren't disappointed that I uninstalled: I was switching over to the MySQL tools.)

54 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Gyorgy Pocsi responded

There was a bug in the first EA, which caused problems when trying to do the initial commit for large number of objects. It’s now fixed, please get the latest version.

12. By linking to a subfolder of an existing workspace and maintaining the copy there, it would be possible to allow an external program to handle the actual commit, and by that including the SQL changes into a bigger revision

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. The WorkingBases are saved on disk C:\Documents and Settings...”.
    To save disk space on C:\, we would like the Working Bases on the disque D:\ (we have databases with more than 5000 procs). Is there a setup somewehere ?

47 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. When linking a database for the first time, it would be nice if the path selector also had the ability to create a new folder based on the selected database name, so that I don't have to go into my source control system to create the folders.

It would really saves us a few steps if you can automatically create the folders required when linking a new DB to source control. E.g. Tortoise does it just fine in VS. For example, if I specify a path /existingfolder/newfolder when linking a DB, I expect you to create the /newfolder directory in…

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. It would be a lot easier if I could just browse to a repository (like windows explorer) instead of having to manually enter it.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?