How can we improve SQL Source Control?

Commit check in comment needs to be larger

text area too small- didnt even notice it. Would be good to have multiline comments.

61 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    anonymousanonymous shared a merged idea: Allow multiline comments  ·   · 

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AndrewJacksonZAAndrewJacksonZA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi

Any news about this issue? It would be really, really appreciated if this feature could be implemented because often there is not just one change at a time and one doesn't want to have to say "Please see call GDI-8764 in our issue tracking system for more information" on every database commit.

Thank you

• Troy HuntTroy Hunt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely agree with this one. If you're simultaneously committing multiple changes and want to clearly list them in the commit message, it's very difficult to do on a single line.

• KenKen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have to just reiterate how much this is needed. So frustrating...while code (non-SQL) comments have line feeds for readability with this tool I've got to keep it all on one line, can't use tabs, and generally need to make it harder for anyone to read what was posted with the commit.

• Red Gate AdministratorAdminRed Gate Administrator (Admin, Red Gate) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Merged another similar suggestion:
        Allow multiline comments
        Committ messages don't neccessarily need to be limited to one line long. We use trac as a project management system, which allows us to use wiki markup in our committ messages. I'm sorely missing my bullet point capabilities :(

• Red Gate AdministratorAdminRed Gate Administrator (Admin, Red Gate) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Merged a similar suggestion:
        Commit messages area is too small, it doesn't support multine comments either, many commit messages need a "bullet list" like commit messages allowing to describe exactly what changes happened, please allow multiline commit messages and a larger/more visible commit area.

Feedback and Knowledge Base