Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

587 results found

1. It would be great if we could have a product manager for SQL Toolbelt and or individual products we're licensed for. In the manager you could see which products you have access to, which ones that are installed, view the VS and SSMS versions installed in your local system and install/uninstall products to the VS and SSMS versions. This would be similar in operation to the Telerik Control Panel which provides this kind of functionality.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. I have a bunch of Ruby services which talk to sql server. I'd love to be able to stand up and tear down databases for development using Microsoft's mssql-server-linux docker container while still managing my database via Redgate. This would require a linux-based CLI tool that could create the database from source.

To do this would require a linux-compatible container

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. I like how SQL Source Control can show you that there is an uncommitted change to an object with a blue dot on the object. Could this be built upon by allowing users to right click on the object and then have an option there to show a diff between the current code and what is committed to source control? This would be the same results that you see when you go to the 'Commit' tab and select an uncommitted object. It would be very helpful to see that comparison easily.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. SQL Source Control doesn't recognise changes to objects when the only change that has been made is in comments. The change is marked in object explorer when initially made, but clicking refresh in the source control window then ignores the change and removes the indication that the object has changed. There doesn't appear to be any setting to remove this filtration. The only other option is to alter the object's functionality or definition, commit, then change the definition back and re-commit. This is inherently risky, and should be unnecessary.

We use comments as a key part of our system documentation,…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. We are using System Versioned Tables, and on these tables SQL server adds 2 new columns SysStartTime and SysEndTime. These columns are typically marked as hidden and we need a way to ignore comparison for these. Either by a column level filter, or an option to ignore system versioning columns

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Someone in my team linked one of our test environment's databases to his source control. He was in a feature branch and just performed a "Get Latest" on the dB..... Now we have to reimplement the integrated changes. Please display the Server name in the setup window to avoid confusion and make sure this is clear.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. In the commit tab you can see the differences between source control and the database which makes it great for deciding what you want to commit or rollback. If you select items in this tab and them right click and undo changes your selections are lost and you have to re-select in the Undo Changes dialog which doesn't let you see the change.

As a developer I want to be able to see the change that I am about to undo.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. 'Please ensure that the service is started. Click here for more information about this problem.'
    How about fixing this bug for when source control have forgotton its lic, which of course is fine . you can then try deactivating and reactivating, it says its is ok but nothing has changed. Would be so nice to be able to log on to your subscription, and tell it 'USE THIS ONE' so it can see on a redgate site what lic to use.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. It would be very useful if it was possible to see which revision number was last deployed to a database. Source Control 4 used to update the extended properties after deployment but version 5 no longer does this.

Not knowing the revision number makes it difficult to bring a Live db up to the same revision as a UAT db, and ensuring the required migration scripts also get executed on the Live db.

Any change this could be added somewhere? Extended properties seemed a good place to save it.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. I'm linking to an existing database using a local folder. The database is linked in shared mode.

The local folder was built by SSDT and contains a .sqlproj file. I'm notified of the beta functionality when linking, so I know SQL Source Control identifies the project as linking to SSDT.

When I add a stored procedure, the resulting script starts with:
    SET QUOTEDIDENTIFIER ON
    GO
    SET ANSI
    NULLS ON
    GO

These statements don't compile in SSDT. The first statement in each script must be a create statement.

I had removed these lines from the statement that I ran against…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Currently there is an option to edit migration scripts however edits will not get applied to other environments if the old version of the script was already run.

Imagine the scenario where a migration script is created to update one record in a table that does not have it's data versioned. The script is checked in and deployed to the CI environment and the QA (test) environment. QA test finds that the update was incorrect. Development edits the migration script to correct it. The edited script will not get run again on those environments.

Currently there are only two work…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. When using V3 of migrations, SQL Source control parses the migration script, finds all dependent objects, and makes sure that the AutomaticSchemaChange.patch file brings the database up to a state where the user-written migration script can run. But, sometimes the AutomaticSchemaChange.patch file has a bug in it, due to a bug in the SQL Compare engine. I can file a bug on this, but those bugs don't seem to get fixed very quickly, and without a fix I can't deploy my database.

The only workaround that I've found in this case is to manually edit the AutomaticSchemaChange.patch file to fix…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. From the commit dialog I can see the changes that have occurred and decide whether to commit or not. Then after committing I could generate a script covering those amendments. It appears that you have removed this functionality. Now under Migrations I just get a list of objects with changes and have no idea what has changed and just have to blindly generate a migration script or flick back and forth between the Commit tab and Migrations tab to determine what to include.
    Maybe I have missed something - only been trying for a day!

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add a button to "Unlink, Delete my cache, Relink" so when support asks you to perform that function, it just takes the user 1 step.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. I would like to be able to pause/start scanning a database for changes as will. It is trying to do several at the same time right now and one of them is huge which is taking longer than it should. If I could only scan the one I am working with at the moment it would save me time system resources.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. On one of our databases we have a lot of changes we don't want to commit at the moment, it would be great to have UI filter on commit tab so we can easily find one of the changed procedures/tables/functions by schema/name and select it for committing.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. This more a bug report than a feature suggestion. When i start Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 10.50.2500.0 the fontsize is fine. But as soon as redgate loads the font size are changed.
    See here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40207918

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Initial Setup  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. The open in excel feature is impressive and I love to use it for ad-hoc extracts. Having the ability to extract multiple results in 1 go to a single Excel file with different sheets would be great.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Currently SQL Source Control is crashing when SQL 2016-specific code is used, for example:
    DROP TABLE IF EXISTS #input;

It should recognize this code since SQL Server 2016 works with it.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  fiona.gazeley responded

This is caused by the SQL Compare parser not understanding this syntax. The good news is the SQL Compare team are currently working on SQL Server 2016 parser support. Once this work is done and SQL Source Control is updated with the latest SQL Compare engine, I will update this request again.

20. This filter should exclude an object with a schema that has a matching name.

-- All Objects

Exclude where (@SCHEMA = 'tSQLt') OR (@SCHEMA = 'SQLCop')

Did not exclude this schema object definition.

-- Schema

CREATE SCHEMA [tSQLt]
    AUTHORIZATION [dbo]
    GO

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →