Skip to content

SQL Prompt

Welcome to the SQL Prompt feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Prompt at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-prompt/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Prompt, please visit the forums or our support portal.

SQL Prompt

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

87 results found

1. Current behaviour: let's say we're editing a multi-statement script. The cursor is in the middle of one of the statements. Some other statements in the script are broken (i.e. have invalid syntax) but the one under the cursor is perfectly valid. We hit Shift-F5, expecting the current statement to be executed. Instead, we get a syntax error on some other piece of the script half a mile down the screen.

Expected behavior: just run whatever is under the cursor and ignore all other parts of the script.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Colors Option For Different Databases

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Occasionally, developers working in SSMS accidentally leave transactions open. This causes big issues, of course. SSMS lets the user know if they try to close a tab with an uncommitted transaction, but only when the user tries to close the tab.

I would like a feature in SQL Prompt so that it lets the user know that they have an uncommitted transaction. SQL Prompt could prompt the user via a toast pop-up or coloring the connection tab or something

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. While using Shift-F5 to execute the current statement, any BEGIN TRANSACTIONS above your UPDATE are ignored, running it not in a transaction.
    I shouldn't use Shift-F5 probably, but it's becoming a habit and could be very expensive when forgetting to highlight-execute.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. As a consultant I move around to many computers. I depend on this product, but it is often a chore to keep track of where it is active. It would be a real quality of life improvement if I could just login to the machine I'm using and type in my redgate creds to activate sql prompt and get on with it. So often I'm running into an activation error, followed by a support call to find where the product is in use, then deactivate it, the activate on the new machine repeat, repeat, repeat...

I understand you make money…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User interface  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. I would like to be able to better automate our onboarding process for new developers by helping ensure their snippets folder, formatting style folder and default formatting style are correctly setup. Additionally we would like to be able to automatically import settings from UNC/source control for them. This reduces the inevitability that something is missed when trying to follow a setup guide we have to additionally maintain. Thanks!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. I spent a lot of time setting up custom directories for various products/features and its frustrating how SQL Prompt resets this with each new update forcing me to go back and change all these paths/defaults back to what they were before.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. In the right-click menu of the "Tables" branch in SSMS, create an extra item that would retrieve string from system clipboard and apply it as an object name filter (using the SSMS built-in [Filter] => [Filter settings] => [Name] => [Contains] feature).

This would allow for instant filtering, saving lot of time.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. I use actions (from the ctrl menu) a lot. It would be extremely handy if I could re-do last action on the currently selected text by simply hitting Ctrl-Y (rather than hitting Ctrl and selecting it from the list of actions again and again).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Similar to visual studio code, it would be good to have a find and replace all occurrences by highlighting what you would like to replace. This would then give you the option to type in what you want to replace. I know Sql Server has a find and replace function, however I just really like this functionality and think it would be a great addition to SQL prompt

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. SQL Prompt gives me a warning when I execute a query or batch that would truncate a table or that includes an update or delete without where clause.
    Is it possible to get a similar warning when I execute a query or batch that runs an insert, update, delete, or merge statement against a table or view that has a trigger? (ideally the warning would only fire if the trigger is not deactivated, and if it is for the correct operation)

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. I don't use SQL Prompt in Visual Studio and likely never will. However, every time I update, the updater defaults to installing it for VS and updating SSMS. It would be nice if the update process defaulted to only doing updates.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. I wanted to put this one level up (all Redgate), but did not see a way to do that.

When you guys release an update, I do not see any choice but to open each tool, one at a time, and check to see if it was updated. There should be one interface that I can open that will check every product I have installed and install the appropriate updates. The current is much more time consuming than it should be and extremely inconvenient. If you have such a tool now, it should be easier to find.

I thought Redgate…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. It would be very helpful if there was an outline for the script being edited. Say, a script has many "CREATE PROC"s. We could have a tree or a list or a drop-down, to view a list of CREATE PROCs and click to scroll to the section.

If a tree style is selected, this could be expanded into seconds inside each PROCs.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Bookmarks is a feature of SSMS. But all my bookmarks are destroyed once the code is formatted. So, as SSMS' feature is not so good as I want I do suggest to implement this feature by RedGate.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Hi - export to excel is a great feature. if it could be extended in 2 ways it would be even better.

1. copy the sql used to produce the results (and date, server info) into a separate tab called 'sql' or something. this way data extracts will be 'auditable' and re-runnable.

2. have some export options (top row = bold, highlighted, freeze top row). column autowidths applied.

the second one can be done with a macro in the excel template but would be a nice to have.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. If I have more open tabs than can horizontally fit the window SSMS does not show all of them but instead there is a dropdown in the right upper corner. I would prefer if I could have multiple rows of tabs instead, like in VS. Since it does not seem likely that MS is going to implement that soon, can it be done in SQL prompt?

32 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. It would be nice to have some capabilities that exist in Excel 2013. Specifically the feature when you can highlight a column and then at the bottom of the application it gives you some quick statistics for the column. So if I had a column of numbers, and I highlighted the column in the results pane it would give me the Average of the numbers in that column and the sum of the numbers in the column. If the column was text you could see the count of distinct values in that column. This just gives quick access to statistical…

34 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. When working all day long with serveral SQL servers, its really annoying to click on "change connection" button + enter the server name you want to connect to, and enter credential.... It would be really great we we would have a "server connection list" where we could build into settings.... So i could add all my server i'm use to connect everyday, and specifying the USERNAME + PASSWORD + Default DB..... So in one-two click, i could switch to another server really quicly

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. It would be perfect if we could change the keyboard shortcuts, I like to use Ctrl+Enter shortcut to execute current statement (like Oracle SQL Dev) and I can't change the default Shift+F5 on SQL prompt.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?