Skip to content

SQL Prompt

Welcome to the SQL Prompt feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Prompt at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-prompt/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Prompt, please visit the forums or our support portal.

SQL Prompt

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

87 results found

1. SQL Prompt allows users to set custom directories for various files.

It would be nice to be able to change the location of the SqlHistory.db and other files that load to localappdata.

I would love to have this update to a folder in my oneDrive folder so it is backed up and easier to migrate between computers.

The only way to do this now is via REGEDIT.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. When writing SQL, I frequently will create a variable within the statement before I have Declared the variable. It would be great if SQL Prompt offered a UI option to autogenerate the variable declaration.

For example, given the statement:
    SELECT * FROM dbo.Person WHERE Username = @Username
    I would like to use a shortcut key to auto generate and insert the declaration above the statement:
    DECLARE @Username VARCHAR(8);

For simple fields, the data type can be pulled directly from the field metadata. For expressions, derive the data type as SQL would if possible, or move the cursor to the data…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. When working on a management server with SQL Prompt and SSMS, we usually don't have Microsoft Office with Excel installed there. This makes it very cumbersome to use the current feature of SQL Prompt to export grid results to an Excel file as there is no application available on the server to process the file.

Instead, I often use a very nice feature in SSMSBoost that copies to grid results data to an XML spreadsheet which can then be pasted into Excel on your client, preserving data types. The regular copy/paste from SSMS to Excel only copies text data from…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. In the setting of SQL Prompt there should be an option to create a list of servers.

When SSMS then starts It should automatically create a connection to this list of servers in Object Explorer.

It would be a great feature, when working with the same servers, it takes a long time to connect to servers everyday when work starts :-)

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. When I export my settings, my own snippets are not exported.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. You should fix the use of multiple versions of your name (Red Gate | Red-Gate | Redgate | redgate | red-gate) across all software and communications. See attached picture.

We try to promote your products in our consulting company, but everyone uses a different name to refer to your company.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. It would be nice to have colored lines that visually enhance the start / end of a while / if statement

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. https://www.brentozar.com/archive/2011/06/fixing-sql-server-management-studios-tab-text/

Brent Ozar wrote this tip back in 2011 and I cant believe i've been struggling with the horrible SSMS tabs every day for my whole career. would be great if SQL prompt has a button to change these settings for you or defaults these options when you install it.

the main reason being that they are buried away and if I wasnt aware of them then i'm sure many others aren't.

at the end of every day i have about 10 tabs open and i just close the whole lot because it's too hard and to go through them…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. It would be useful to be able to copy a selection from the results grid which is pre-formatted as a WHERE clause in the same way "Copy as clause" IN works, e.g. copying a single value from ProductID column would produce WHERE ProductID = 5 and copying multiple values would produce WHERE ProductID in ( 5, 10, 15 ).

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. When text is selected, Control D would create a copy of that text. If no text is selected, the current line of the cursor will be duplicated.

Much like the behavior of Excel to carry down cell values (and a popular Visual Studio plugin), this will allow users to keep the text on their clipboard to paste it over part of the SQL that was just duplicated (like the contents of a where clause).

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. I would like to be able to better automate our onboarding process for new developers by helping ensure their snippets folder, formatting style folder and default formatting style are correctly setup. Additionally we would like to be able to automatically import settings from UNC/source control for them. This reduces the inevitability that something is missed when trying to follow a setup guide we have to additionally maintain. Thanks!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. The recent roll-out of SQL History was handled very poorly. SQL History isn't simply an update to Tab history else there would not have been the need for a name change. SQL History is an alternative feature meant to do what Tab History does (I hope) and more but on roll-out it made many of your paying customers not only angry because you replaced Tab history with it but because it wasn't ready for roll-out.

In the future when you feel the need to replace an existing beloved feature with something different and not just an update, DON'T! Instead roll…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Hello Redgate and the community,
    During my day to day work, it would be greatly helpful to get a shortcut to enter the filter setting menu, not only on databases, but also tables, views and stored procedures and what not, just a global shortcut, to enter the filter setting on the selected folder (if that is available for the folder)

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Currently the files write out to a temporary file location. Add pane in settings window to change the location (e.g. a folder in my one drive that is not read only)

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. There is a feature that was in WinSQL where each field in a column would have a little plus sign if it had a foreign key. If you click the plus sign it would look up that value in the table with the foreign key in a new tab (it would give a choice of tables if there are more than one, then do the lookup).
    It was very useful and a great learning tool; it would be a great addition to SQL Prompt. Pictures attached.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Before I upgraded to latest version of SQL Prompt, if I had two queries in the same "New Query" window and ran them, I could select either of the two result sets and choose "Open in Excel" to open up the selected result set in Excel. Now it always seems to auto-select the first result set.

What I'm usually doing here is two related queries. I pick the larger result set, open that in Excel, and then add a new tab to Excel and copy-and-paste the smaller result set to the 2nd tab. Or sometimes I'm doing multiple queries to…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Custom Aliases - Ability to Alphabetize by table name

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. I would like to rename tabs without having to save them as a .sql file to the filesystem. I run with alot of tabs all the time and it gets very difficult if you don't name them to find a tab that has floated into the dreaded drop down arrow. Once its there I have to walk through the whole contents of the drop down list of query windows to find the one I want. With a simple rename of the tab that could be managed by the solution file. I would be able to label them and track them…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Themes, Dark mode mainly. Ability to add company logo when you log in via browser, like we can in reports.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. It would be very helpful if there was an outline for the script being edited. Say, a script has many "CREATE PROC"s. We could have a tree or a list or a drop-down, to view a list of CREATE PROCs and click to scroll to the section.

If a tree style is selected, this could be expanded into seconds inside each PROCs.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?