Skip to content

SQL Prompt

Welcome to the SQL Prompt feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Prompt at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-prompt/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Prompt, please visit the forums or our support portal.

SQL Prompt

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

637 results found

1. I would like to see intellisense provide you a list of backup devices that are created when you use the backup database key words.

Backup database [database names in drop down] to [ disk, file, Url, backup devices in dropdown]

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Intellisense  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. When writing SQL, I frequently will create a variable within the statement before I have Declared the variable. It would be great if SQL Prompt offered a UI option to autogenerate the variable declaration.

For example, given the statement:
    SELECT * FROM dbo.Person WHERE Username = @Username
    I would like to use a shortcut key to auto generate and insert the declaration above the statement:
    DECLARE @Username VARCHAR(8);

For simple fields, the data type can be pulled directly from the field metadata. For expressions, derive the data type as SQL would if possible, or move the cursor to the data…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. When Place Begin - End statements on new line is selected it doesn't appear to work as part of an If statement. This makes the begin and end difficult to find

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Format SQL  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 'Script object as alter' (F12) works in ALTER statements but not in CREATE OR ALTER statements like. It would be nice if it also worked for the latter.

Example:
    'CREATE OR ALTER VIEW [MyView] AS SELECT 1 AS Col1;'
    If I right-click on [MyView] in the above code snippet and select 'Script object as ALTER' (or hit F12), I would expect SQL Prompt to script the object if it exists.
    Currently nothing happens.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Please add Prompt features when connecting to a Snowflake database

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. I would like to expand upon suggestions others have made regarding adding custom formatting and analyzers.
    I have recently been trying to implement SQL Prompt for our team, and I have struggles with a lack of customization, opinionated options that don’t reflect our needs, and some bugs.
    What would have solved this issue for me would have been the ability to add custom formatters and custom analyzers.

Custom Formatters
    Since SQL Prompt gets the position of tokens from IAlignmentProvider.FinalAlignmentForToken I suggest that the API couple simply be plumbed into this method, if a plugin is attached it would call the…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Format SQL  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. I use Tab History quite a bit, and I often find myself seeing 2 or more tabs that have the search criteria I'm after. Rather than just being able to click one tab to open it, it'd be nice to be able to select multiple tabs from the history (some or all of the result list). The amount I use it daily and the amount I need to open 2 or more tabs from a search this sort of functionality would save me the repetitive task of performing the same search over and over to get each tab open that…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tab history  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. When I have a table with multiple indexes and I want to determine if a certain column or group of columns are part of an index, I basically have to script all of the indexes.
    I would like to be able to hover over an index name in the Object Explorer and have SQL Prompt display the index definition without having to script it.
    Same with constraints.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Provide an easier way to share SQLPrompt (snippet/code formatting/settings).

Like give us 2 (or more) folders to connect to, rather than one, 1 for the default items (make them read only, but optional?) Then directories for items you write for personal use, then one or more for team shares.

I share common ones with team, but they don't need my changes, or some I use for personal uses (like formatting code for a book, or snippets for features we don't use)

Right now, I have started using naming conventions to copy out team items to put into Source Control to…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. After doing multiple server migrations, if you open something in tab history that was for one of the previous servers. Sometimes an implicit connection to the server is still used despite not being connected to that server in Object Explorer. This has caused us to have to troubleshoot something that wasn't working anymore when it fact it is just because the connection was the old server. This forces us to copy the SQL statements to Notepad then open a new window and past so that the connection is set to the connected to server. Some kind of warning of this…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tab history  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Smart Rename should work on service broker objects. These objects: Message Types, Contracts, Queues and Services are all interdependent. Renaming Message Types, for example, requires the dropping of the dependent Contracts, which in turn requires the dropping of the dependent Services.
    It would be great to be able to generate the relevant drop and create sql in one hit.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Smart rename  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. When using the feature 'Open in Excel' for grid results, I'm unable to determine in Excel which database values were empty strings vs. NULL values. I like that it no longer exports the word 'NULL', but I'd like some sort of option to be able to make a distinction between the two.

My idea is to use a cell fill pattern (Format Cells + Fill + Pattern Style), but I would be satisfied with just about anything to be able to make that distinction. The pattern I recommend is the most sparsely dotted option, which shows a tool-tip of 6.25%…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. I work on the same databases on a regular basis. Many do not have foreign keys and do not used identically named column names in tables that I'm joining.

I repeatedly have to specify the same several columns in the join condition.

I'd love a way for SQLPrompt to either remember join clauses I've previously used, or allow me to specify default join conditions for pairs of tables (or both).

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Intellisense  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. When I right click in a Stored procedure SSMS hangs, and it takes too long for the menu to show up. Please review Red Gate Source Control for the added entries in the menu to improve performace

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User interface  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. We have code littered with IIFs that we would like to convert to CASE. Logically this is straightforward, but achieving it swiftly is proving more difficult. A regex takes care of the simple ones, but the ugly ones with nested functions across multiple lines and all sorts are proving far more difficult.

Would it be possible to add a feature to SQL Prompt to refactor IIFs into CASE statements? Thanks

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Format SQL  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. When I use SSMS to query the data and use "open in Excel", the exported “. Xlsx” is too old, which will cause the digital content to become 0 after WPS or other form software is opened. This problem has lasted for a long time. I hope your company can upgrade and handle it accordingly. Thank you Very Much

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. This is essentially the same as a forgotten SSMS request over here: https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035/suggestions/32896039

It would be incredibly useful to be able right-click on a server-node in the Registered Servers list and change/set the connection for the current document window to that. You already have a custom context menu item in there ("Tab Color (Server)", so that hurdle is gone.

This idea is related to these, but not quite the same. In both cases, it seems they don't know about the Registered Server functionality, so they're basically asking for this idea, plus for you to re-implement that entire feature.
    https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/94413/suggestions/40385740
    https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/94413/suggestions/13425135

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User interface  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. No CREATE SQL is displayed in the suggestions window when hovering over any CLR objects, or scripting the object as alter. The code returned is just a comment saying:

-- No creation SQL available for this object type

The CREATE/ALTER statement can easily be built by querying the relevant system tables. SSMS does it when you script the object and other Redgate products such as SQL Compare and SQL Source Control do it just fine, not sure why SQL Prompt would have been left out.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. I often use the Ctrl-F12 feature to jump to an object in the object Explorer, however this doesn't work if the object has been renamed, or was just recently created. In those cases I need to manually refresh the object Explorer before I can use F12. Perhaps the F12 feature could do that for me? (or prompt if it can't find the object)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Many time SQL Prompt doesn't work for me because it thinks I use the database mentioned in the last USE statement in the SSMS query window. This is incorrect and confusing since I change the database in the SSMS dropdown without explicit running any USE statement. SQL Prompt should know what database is selected in the dropdown and offer objects from the selected database,

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?