Skip to content

SQL Prompt

Welcome to the SQL Prompt feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Prompt at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-prompt/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Prompt, please visit the forums or our support portal.

SQL Prompt

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6 results found

1. e.g.

declare @1 table (a int, b int)
    declare @2 table (a INT, b int)

SELECT a, b FROM
    @1 a
    CROSS JOIN @2 b

Here there are 2 possibilities for columns a and b, however SQL prompt only suggests the second one. Both should be shown and the user given the chance to choose.

SQL Prompt does not recognize the ambiguity nor alert the user to it (although Microsoft Intellisense does flag the ambiguity). This can result in the user selecting the wrong alias (since only one is presented, apparently the last one found) which can result in hard-to-debug…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. when formatting SQL, do not automatically add brackets to the MATCH clause when querying graph tables

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. It would be nice to have a setting per database in SQL Prompt that would allow us to set an alias to tablename mapping and these settings can be shared / stored in source control for other developers.

When we run the qualify object name operation it could look at this dictionary and automatically inject an new alias for an old alias or table/view with no alias.

This allows us to have consistently alias'd tables across all sql objects in source control.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. As SQL Prompt user, I want to be able to perform a qualify object names operation on a directory of views, tables, sprocs, etc.

Currently, one must open a sql file in SSMS first then run the qualify object names operation on each file. This is extremely time consuming. We are trying to improve our code quality and readabily by following best practices.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Please could you add a feature that parses a query that has already been written, adds aliases for tables that don't already have them and update columns to use those aliases.

This is because I often get pieces of code which are partially aliased and I have to go through updating the missing ones. Thanks.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. I have tables that repeat in different schemas, for example Supplier.Location and Customer.Location. I'd really like auto-alias to include the schema when generating the alias. Supplier.Location should be SL and Customer.Location should be CL. Instead I end up with L and L2, which is not as clear.

Ideally, I'd prefer the schema characters to be lowercase and the table to be uppercase. Using sL and cL would make my query even more readable.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?