Skip to content

SQL Data Compare

Welcome to the SQL Data Compare feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Data Compare at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-data-compare/

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Data Compare, please visit the forums at https://forums.red-gate.com/viewforum.php?f=201 or our support portal.

SQL Data Compare

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

110 results found

1. Currently, we have to manually edit every SQL Data Compare deployment script to add a USE <DB> statement at the top. We would like to see an option in the tool like SQL Compare has.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. My primary usage as QA is to use some DB as a baseline, run old code against it, run new code against it, and compare the results. Most of the differences are the times that records were updated or other time related fields. I am only interested in the data differences. All of the datetime field differences clutter the comparison and increase my analysis time by about a factor of 20.
    I know I could go in and manually find all of the datetime fields in each of the 300-600 tables (depending on the DB) and un-check all the datetime…

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Ability to use the same "where clauses" that has been set up for one server and when we change the data source to another server with same dbase schema it has to use the same where clauses that I've already been set up.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. If a table has a unique constraint index on say the name column and the change is just sapping the names on the IDs. The script to update the names ends up failing because it causes a unique constraint violation, but if the index is disable, then the update runs, then the index is rebuilt the unique constraint does not cause a failure.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. An option for trailing white space does already exist. Unfortunately there is no option for leading white space yet. This would be very useful and propably is no big deal to implement.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. I'd like to store in a Data Compare project file a list of targets that I can select very easily. A target is server+database. It includes credentials as well. I don't want to re-enter them all the time.

I don't want to make many project files for them.

The same is true for a selection of tables and views. I compare very large database and I need different subsets of tables depending on the current task I'm working on.

Again, why a separate project file for them? I don't want that.

Given that I need to vary both target and…

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. I don't see why the tables have to reside in different databases, backup, source control, or scripts folder in order to run SQL Data Compare.

It wouldn't be much fuzz to add the ability to compare two tables regardless (i.e. in the same database). Sometimes I just need to divide the common traits from the differences, in order to plan some work.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. It would be real nice to have a counter displayed on the "SQL Data Compare - Running" screen that shows which record number is being processed for a given table, for example "Processing record X of Y total records". This would be useful for large tables that have lots of binary data (images, files, etc.). This would help us determine whether or not SQL Data Compare is stuck in a loop. Right now the tool does show which table is being compared, which is useful, however, we have one table that has 25 GB of data in it (mostly PDF…

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Can we please get the ability to export the contents of the SQL Data Compare results window (containing the rows with differences) to Excel, complete with the cell formatting seen in the application? I.e. headers for fields with differences in bold, cells with differences highlighted a different colour, etc.

This functionality exists in SQL Prompt (exporting from SSMS, admittedly without the formatting) so surely should be possible from Data Compare also?

Even better would be to be able to do this for all tables/subsets selected in the list of tables above the results window (i.e. all the data included by…

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. I created a new project. DB has 2004 tables. I only care about ONE db schema - "pricemanager", so, about 20 tables, of which I care to compare just 11. It takes nearly five full minutes just to get a tables and views page I can choose from.

WHY, can I not simply "FILTER BEFORE RETRIEVAL"? I know what I want, and it isn't 2000+ tables and 5000+indexes, et al.

I JUST upgraded to 13.4.5.6953 in hopes of some speed improvement
    - all hopes were dashed when it ground on for the usual 5 mins.

need to eliminate the 4…

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Can you plead add feature to view/compare XML datatype. Current Viewer is not good enough to compare XML data

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. There needs to be an option to untick all columns as running a comparison of a couple of columns over a table containing 80+ columns involves laboriously unticking 70+ columns.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. When a database has calculated fields, SQL Data Compare seems to process them and it takes a long time. Since these fields are calculated, they will never be updated so these should be ignored. At this time, we have to un-select each calculated field to improve on performance.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. When some tables cannot be compared because they do not have the primary key, give us an option to "use the combination of all columns" for all those tables, with a single click.

Even when there are duplicates, give us an option to "ignore duplicates if all others are identical".

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Currently if you try compare tables with encrypted columns, you get a cast error. It doesn't tell you that encryption is not supported. In fact it took your help desk two weeks to tell me it doesn't and suggest I post a feature request here. I do not know what mechanism you use to connect to SQL Server, but all of my other SQL Server clients support it seamlessly. That includes ODBC. Even if you didn't want to enable decrypting the data you at least could just allow the comparison on the encrypted values, and let the user worry about…

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Enable Transaction Isolation Option like in SQL Compare. In SQL Compare you can set the transaction level to one of five options. This is needed in SQL Data Compare to eliminate blocking.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. This improvement is similar to https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/147879-sql-data-compare/suggestions/4157645-exclude-special-schema-from-datacompare, but I would like to sketch the idea out a little further.

SQL Data Compare should provide a filtering option that allows the user to exclude entire schemas from comparison, or to exclude tables explicitly. This can be done somewhat at the schema level by unmapping an Owner.

But this doesn't provide the feedback on the main screen that I would like to see. There should be an additional Type on the main screen named "Deselected for comparison". Tables or schemas that are not mapped shouldn't be put into the "could not be…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. When updates are available, you cover part of the header. Please do not cover this information. (screen shot available upon request)

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. If you have a project with a bunch of table and view mappings configured, you can easily switch between (similar) databases and retain those mappings. However, if you switch from the database type to the scripts type, even if the schema is basically identical, any mappings with filters get unchecked, but the rest remain selected. RedGate silently makes this change, and it should be considered a bug. Let me choose which action to take. If you try to re-enable those mappings, the filters are only applied to one side of the comparison, which is also an issue.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Have a SQL DATA Compare application or project option that will allow you to turn off automatically checking differences. In Sql Compare this seems to work a little better in that only a few or no items are automatically selected when comparison results are displayed. Right now, all differences are selected in SQL Data Compare.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?