How can we improve SQL Source Control?

Make it faster!!!! Improve Performance!!!

Oog, each commit is like five minutes. Neither standard commits of source code (same SVN server) nor redgate SQL Compare actions (same local database server) take that long!

Keywords: Performance, Speed, Fast

342 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Michael BlackburnMichael Blackburn shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Jack NunesJack Nunes shared a merged idea: Improve Performance ! Its too slow when at step 3 Registering a database  ·   · 
    Nicholas OrlandoNicholas Orlando shared a merged idea: Step 4 takes a very long time since I upgraded to 3.1.0.5208.  ·   · 
    Dathan LiblikDathan Liblik shared a merged idea: Buggy and slow - please improve  ·   · 
    Younes AbesiYounes Abesi shared a merged idea: Calculating changes for large databases is very slow  ·   · 
    Mattw137Mattw137 shared a merged idea: Make it more scalable with better performance for large databases  ·   · 
    completed  ·  StephanieAdminStephanie (Admin, Red Gate) responded  · 

We have been doing a lot of work on SQL Source Control lately. We’ve recently improved performance when you link a database, go to the commit and get latest tabs (especially subsequent visits where we can rely on data being cached), and when selecting/deselecting all on the commit and get latest tabs.

If you are still experiencing performance problems, please make a new suggestion that is very specific to what you would like us to work on. Is it a specific step in the commit process that is taking a long time? Is it viewing history that is taking a long time?

We’ve also started to work on this suggestion, Don’t refresh the commit/get latest automatically, https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/39019-sql-source-control/suggestions/462220-don-t-refresh-the-commit-get-latest-automatically, which will also help with performance.

Contact support@red-gate.com if you can share your database schema with us for performance testing purposes.

If you are experiencing problems with server load, please see http://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SOC33/Changing+or+disabling+the+database+polling+interval. Contact support@red-gate.com if you have any questions about this.

Thank you!
    Stephanie Herr
    SQL Source Control Product Manager

42 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like the ability to 'Refresh Selected' or similar. Imagine I refresh the 'Commit Changes' window and get a bunch of differences. Following the principal of atomic commits, I really want to select different changes and group them into single commits... and then having committed those changes with one comment, I would like to go on and do the same for a different set of changes. It would be nice if I could just clear the selected items, or 'refresh' them, just to confirm that they had no further changes. That would leave the list a little clearer for the next commit.
        You guys would probably like all our devs to use Source Control, but I am afraid it is not quite ready to be used by devs yet (performance being a key issue).

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have exactly same issue. we are using sql 2008r2 and 2012.
        We have one database with 500 tables and step 'Registering a database takes' more then 30 minutes !!! This is ridiculous. How I can use it on larger dbs.

• Dathan LiblikDathan Liblik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We love this product theoretically, but the performance is spectacularly bad in not one, but all of: speed (5-6 minutes per sync), memory consumption (GBs), TFS traffic (high), reliability (crashes SSMS all the time), data integrity (at least once a month we have to manually do a file-based check-in to rectify some confusion in the sync that then leaves the product unusable until the check-in is manually resolved).

I don't want to be negative, but this is such an outlier to normal red gate quality, and your premium prices mean you should have a stellar tool with maybe an occasional bug. This is two years running now. What could be more important?

Red gate - get on this. It's a major blemish to your otherwise excellent standards. Please.

• mikemike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Nicholas: Yeah, I also tried the latest and experienced the same issue. So I'm staying with 3.1.0.4829 for now.

Update: Downgrading to 3.1.0.4829 resolves the issue for me. It's a work around. I hope they make that installer available for others to download while they work on this.

• paulpaul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Interesting, my Step 4 has greatly increased in time but I thought it was all related to this duplicate trigger error that Red Gate is working on. Apparently not. So I'm adding a vote for this one.
        Coders are not very patient to sit there and listen to a disk spin and spit.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it appears that connection logic is broken and is ignoring the enabled transport settings. I consistently receive the "Named Pipes Provider" error during step 4. Why is red-gate trying to use Named Pipes when it is disable on both the client and server machines? Makes the tool completely unusable

• coreycorey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, true. It's now taking 5 minutes or more to complete step 4. Not sure how this is "A more reliable and less resource-intensive method for giving the username for changes in the shared model." per the release notes. I've been using RG tools for nearly 10 yrs now and have taken them into numerous shops. But over the last several releases of SQL Source Control it seems like the product is moving backwards.

I'm running on the "dedicated" configuration. Step 4 does take a very long time, however, it does complete for me. It has completed on two of my smallest databases. The larger databases are still running after ~20 minutes.

• BrightBright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In order to improve performance, you need to change the base algorithm. If you stick with current logic and compare everything every time - this product will never work as expected and will even be unusable on db's with fair amount of objects. You should compare only what is changed since the last sync. modify_date in sys.objects is your friend!

• Ben SproatBen Sproat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about an update on this? 3.1 is out and the product is still unusable for one of our primary databases. The commit tab takes upwards of 20 minutes to come up if it doesn't time out first. It only ever works once or twice and only if that is the only database we have linked. After the 1st or second refresh we run out of memory. If i have to work in that database i load it up on a separate machine click the commit tab and go do something else for a while on my normal machine and hope it actually gives me results. If it fails reboot and try again.

• EricEric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We find that after installing and using SQL Source Control, latest version, we routinely get out of memory exceptions in management studio. The only solution is to close and re-open management studio.

Also, I get very high tempdb usage for my sessions on the db side when I'm using SQL Source Control. The usage can be as high as 8 GB. It is quite ridiculous. This stays in use until I close and re-open management studio.

As for performance, we have one db that is around 120 GB with hundreds of sprocs and hundreds of tables, and it is painfully slow in SSC. However, we have another db that is over 200 GB with an equally large number of tables and sprocs, and it is quite fast. The database server versions are the same, and the db compatibility level is the same.

• Jason KochelJason Kochel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue. What I don't understand is that the object explorer tree shows the blue dots next to the changed objects (so it's tracking in the background) but when I go to 'Commit Changes' it takes a long time to offer the list of changed objects.

'Get Latest' is even worse. Perhaps it's because I'm using Mercurial? I'll 'hg update' to a particular branch (which updates the SSC-created .sql files on my local drive), but when I 'Get Latest', it seems like it's going back to Mercurial or maybe scanning the entire directory (~7500 objects) to see what's new.

Seems like a lot of Mercurial users on this site. Perhaps a more native integration is possible?

• YaroslavYaroslav commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem, performance is a problem. We do not have really big db, around 200 tables, ~90 sp and ~50 views. Takes more than 2 min just on "registering working database", then 2-3min more for 3st steps and then around 3-4min on the last "calculating changes. Doing this at least 3 times/day and with 4 developers so need to to updated and commits is annoying

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base