How can we improve SQL Source Control?

SQL Source Control Static Views (or Table Subsets using WHERE clause)

I would like the ability to source control a subset of a table (perhaps using a view).

I have inherited a database where lookup data is intermixed with user defined data. We reference the lookup data in the table using a code (VARCHAR) that is unique when another field is NULL, so it is possible to ensure that records are created/updated/deleted without concern for the primary key involved.

For more information, you can refer to this forum post:
http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?p=50087

152 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JackAceJackAce shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Paul NearyPaul Neary shared a merged idea: Need to Filter Data by Row  ·   · 

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jorge SalazarJorge Salazar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Almost 2 and a half years of the initial request and still no solution on this item?
        We use SQL Source Control 3.5.4.332 and there is no solution on this...
        Is really that hard to implement?

• Timothy BussmannTimothy Bussmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a scenario where we have table maintenance screens in a user interface to allow the user to add/modify/delete lookup type values. As part of our application we provide a number of lookup values that are system defined and cannot be modified. We would like to be able to source control the system defined values, but also allow for user defined values to be unaffected. It does not make sense for us to use a separate table for the user defined lookup values because that would complicate the data schema and application design. It would help us a lot if we were able to source control static data that is filtered by a where clause (e.g. IsSystemDefined = 1 in our case).

• Kasper BKasper B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Respecting a WHERE clause would eliminate the use of a view, so that is what I would prefer.

• BarryKBarryK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We just started using SQL Source Control 3 and it is a great feature. However the Link Static Data isn't much use without a where clause. We have numerous tables that contain both static and user data. Thanks for considering this feature.

• Gabriele FerreriGabriele Ferreri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are actually using SQL Source Control 3 and it's important for us to be able to commit Static data using a where cause like in SQL Data Compare.
        Please add this feature.

Feedback and Knowledge Base