How can we improve SQL Source Control?

Migrations support for Git/Mercurial

It seems that right now migrations only support SVN, TFS and Vault - none of which I'm willing to use anymore. Please consider prioritizing support for Git/Mercurial.

820 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    NickNick shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    JackieJackie shared a merged idea: Add git support for migration scripts  ·   · 
    Jamie ClaytonJamie Clayton shared a merged idea: Allow HG Source control to create Migration Scripts  ·   · 
    Chris HerringChris Herring shared a merged idea: Migrations support for git  ·   · 
    started  ·  Jonathan HickfordAdminJonathan Hickford (Product Manager, Red Gate) responded  · 

Migrations for Mercurial (migrations v2) can now be used throughout the delivery lifecycle with the latest versions of the Red Gate SQL tools. SQL Source Control, SQL Compare, SQL CI and Deployment Manager all use migrations v2 scripts if configured to do so.

NB. We’re still calling the migrations feature a beta feature within the products. This is because we are continuing to release user interface improvements and improve stability, and we do not yet consider the feature complete. However the core products have been through their full testing and release processes and are stable.

A frequent releases channel for SQL Source Control is now available, and it is this channel that contains the migrations v2 feature. This means you can evaluate the new migrations functionality without having to install a beta version of SQL Source Control, and you will benefit from the regular updates being made to SQL Source Control.

SQL Compare 10.6 (currently in beta) supports migrations v2 scripts. The migrations v2 feature must be enabled on the options tab. Migrations v2 are enabled by default in SQL CI (part of the SQL Automation Pack) and in Deployment Manager.

We’d really like to hear about your experiences so we can fix issues and try to make any updates you need before the final release.

Download links for SQL Source Control and SQL Compare with migrations v2 and, along with instructions on how to enable migrations v2 are on http://www.red-gate.com/migrations

Please note that if you have previously installed the standalone migrations v2 beta versions of SQL Source Control (version 3.9.x) or SQL Compare (10.9.x) you will need to uninstall these in order to install versions 3.6.×. and 10.6.×.

80 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JohnJohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The SQL Source Control v3.6.0.3 and I saw migration script worked in SVN but there is nothing happening when I am on GIT. is there any updates?

• Josh RogersJosh Rogers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is the status of this beta? We just purchased the Developer Bundle and we're eager to be able to use these migrations.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

RedGate, any update on this since Oct? We would like to move from SVN to GIT but we need full support.

• RobRob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there an eta on this? It would make a huge difference to our team.

• Peter van ReesPeter van Rees commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can anyone from Redgate comment on the progress on this issue? We are using Hg and are forced to keep seperate SVN repos for the database projects only because of this issue not being solved....

You would make me very happy if this would work!

• Damian PowellDamian Powell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"The [DVCS] issue is more challenging than we had anticipated, but we're completely committed to solving it as the highest priority for SQL Source Control."

Is it still highest priority? It's been a while. How about an update?

If supporting DVCSs with their non-linear histories is really difficult, why not release a half-way solution that will work with a DVCS provided it has a linear history? At the moment, we have SQL Source Control but really aren't getting the most out of it, even though our DB history is completely linear.

• Julian PriceJulian Price commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very disappointed to find that data migrations are not supported for Git. Hope it will be added soon.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Stephanie, This is a feature our company is waiting on because we have to move over to GIT but Red Get is not supporting the migration feature. So, the entire process is on hold and we are thinking of alternatives.

• Mike HanrahanMike Hanrahan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

q42jaap, if (and I may be wrong) you are responding to my statement, I didn't mean to suggest that it was a no brainer technically....I have no doubt that it is very difficult, but it should a no brainer in terms of priority for the product. It is a great product, but hard to justify purchasing it for our whole team until it supports this feature.

• q42jaapq42jaap commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's not that simple as it seems, things like git flow, branches etc make things more difficult. The shared database vs dedicated database further complicates things. Let's be patient!

• Joe KearneyJoe Kearney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are there any updates to this? Any expected date of release? David, from your last comment it looks this might yet take some time – is that a fair prediction? Thanks

• David AtkinsonAdminDavid Atkinson (Admin, Red Gate) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's still very much on the forefront of our minds and we're still very committed to solving the problem of automating the generation of database changes. The differences between DVCS and "traditional" source control systems, particularly the non-sequential revision numbers, have a bigger architectural impact that we had first anticipated, which has meant a re-think on how we might implement our solution.

• Jamie ClaytonJamie Clayton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Almost March 2013, 8 months after the August 2012 release date. Must be very close by now or has Red-gate forsaken this commitment?

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base