How can we improve SQL Prompt?

Load suggestions from sql files in Visual Studio/SSDT Projects

Prompt currently needs a database connection to retrieve objects/suggestions from, which it gets from a database project's "Target Connection String".

It would be better if prompt loaded suggestions directly from the sql files in the project without needing the database.

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Aaron LawAdminAaron Law (Software Engineer, Red Gate) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andre LightAndre Light commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One other thing: I find myself turning off SQL Prompt regularly because it gets in the way of SSDT IntelliSense, which actually works on changes made to the local project without having to sync to the database first. If Redgate doesn't add more robust SSDT support, they're likely going to lose Visual Studio users.

• Andre LightAndre Light commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now that I have SSDT, I rarely use SSMS because SSDT enables me to keep my entire solution, including the database, in one place. It also is a much more advanced development environment than SSMS (including the text editor), allows finding/updating code and DB references using a single Find/Replace, etc. Because of that, you can be sure that any developer using Visual Studio is soon going to migrate from using SSMS to using SSDT most of the time.

Feedback and Knowledge Base