Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

587 results found

1. 1) Source Control - Get latest: first schema's then udf's and xsd schema THEN the rest

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Maybe it is a bug. But code like

DROP SIGNATURE FROM dbo.mySP
    BY CERTIFICATE [myCertficate];

is not recognized as a change. Please consider to support this

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. RCS keyword expansion expansion in Perforce is detected as a change when comparing DB and Source Control code. This is unhelpful. SQL Source Control should ignore changes in RCS tags content when the file type is set to KText

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. I accidently did an sprename 'DFVisitsSome3234234', '[DFVisits_SomeNumber]', 'Object' and committed it to SVN. Now, when I change it back, the Source Control does not detect this as a change to commit back. How do I get around this, or it's a bug.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. I would like to be able to allow people to get a copy of the latest set of development functions, etc. kept in a repository. I don't want everyone to be able to write new/modify existing functions. Currently when they try to do a get latest, it errors out saying they need read, check in, check out, and lock permissions. To get around this I've given everyone full permissions in TFS. I don't understand why that would be necessary for a get latest.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Include StarTeam as a source control option

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Needs to be faster when retrieving changes. It takes forever to bring back the list of changed objects after you make a commit. I have to make multiple commits at a time, some are single items some are multiple items. Each commit is based on a change set developed in TFS. It takes all day to get through 88 items just because of the time it takes to refresh the list.
    Use a rolling refresh of the list after the initial load, new objects can be added in the background, those that are committed just get dropped from the list…

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. I would like to see more meta data columns on the migration script window. Name and Date create come to mind. Also tagging for specific environments (QA, Prep, etc)

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. SQL has the feture to view object dependencies. but, it dont have it for SQL logins. So, it will be good to have this feature in this s/w

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. If I cancel a commit, on the dependencies dialogue window, it seems to clear the original comments.

This usually happens if I forget to include an object for commit, and the popup dialogue reminds me. I know it offers to include dependencies I have missed, but this often I'll have meant to include other objects in the submit. If I click cancel to go back and add them, the comments have been cleared

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. The source control system keeps thinking a certain table wasn't committed, and marks it up as "changed" to be committed. Here's the table:

-- Columns

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[EvaluacionesCiclosEducativosGruposAcademicos]
    (
    [CicloEducativoId] [int] NOT NULL,
    [EvaluacionId] [int] NOT NULL,
    [Grupo] [int] NOT NULL,
    [ProfesorId] [int] NOT NULL,
    [CursoId] [int] NOT NULL
    ) ON [PRIMARY]
    GO

It doesn't seem to detect this line, and decides it has to insert it again:

DISABLE TRIGGER [dbo].[tD_EvaluacionesCicloEducativosGruposAcademicos] ON [dbo].[EvaluacionesCiclosEducativosGruposAcademicos]
    GO

At the time of this writing, it has inserted the very same section 4 times, one after the other, and wants to keep doing it.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. I had three different connection in SSMS. One for each user: Sql admin, webadmin, webapplication user. I think I by mistake made a commit from the connection for the webapplication user which have very few rights. All the users right got screwed up after that.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Bug: when creating a migration script for a table change that requires dropping Foreign Keys on other tables to this table, the generated migration script does not include the extended properties for the Foreign Keys on the other tables when rebuilding the Foreign Keys.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. When I add Extended properties (MS_Description) on tables and Database and tries to commit, the changes dosn't Show.
    If I later change a Description on one of the fields in the table, the Table properties changes is shown (and commited).
    I Cant find a workaround for the DB description

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. I develop locally on a laptop. If I want to develop remotely and forget to turn on VPN before I open SSMS and select a database, SQL Source Control has a fit because it can't find the repository. In fact, it becomes unusable until I've connected to the repository and unlink and relink the database in source control.

An offline mode would detect if the repository was unavailable and merely track changes until the repository is available again.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. We have a fairly long list of source controlled databases whose changes may affect a developer's local environment. Right now they have to click each database and get latest. It'd be great if they could right-click at the server level and choose "Get Latest Changes From Source Control ..." at that level. It would then pull all the changes for all the databases. I suppose the Get Latest window would have to have a database column.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. We branch our database often for requirements and version releases. Each version gets a tag which makes it easy to link to the proper version. When bugs come in we need to validate them. One of the steps that needs to happen is we need to make sure our database is on the same version that the bug came in for. The easiest way to do this would be to perform a subversion switch command to the tag in our repository for that version of database. It is very difficult to do this with SQL Source Control as it stands…

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Imagine we have a complex database which uses a lot of other databases via linked servers. Now imagine it's a dev environment, we put this complex database into SVC and do development.
    The problem begins when we're about to release to a prod environment via RedGate Compare, prod environment has all required linked servers and foreign database with they all come with different names. The inability to use variables inside RedGate makes it difficult to script linked servers and foreign database names. Ideally it could be something like VS Database for Professionals + SQLCMD

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Currently RedGate includes these lines to every stored procedure it puts into SVC:
    "SET QUOTEDIDENTIFIER ON" and the "SET ANSINULLS ON"
    Actually I don't think it makes much sense because these are simply db properties and should be tracked and version controlled as a separate database properties script, but not included into every stored procedure file.
    OR it would be nice if we simply can turn it off.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. When we hop back in our source control repository to an older release and "update" our database, occasionally there is new static data that is referenced by non-static entries in the database. We do not have cascading deletes enabled for various reasons outside of the developers control, but in this particular instance it causes errors when static data is removed from the database to revert to an older version. Would it be possible to have redgate check incoming foreign keys and generate all the necessary deletes to allow static data removal?

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?