Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

53 results found

1. I am not able to push changes to my repo using SSH because I am unable to enter my passphrase. I have to push/pull using Git Bash.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Issue: In most cases, committing changes from the Commit tab marks 'Action' in SVN logs as 'Replacing' than 'Modified'. This is creating a major tree conflict and related problems for us when trying to merge changes between branches.

Suggested feature: add option in settings to change this behavior so that Source Control will always do 'Modified' for existing objects than 'Replacing'.

https://productsupport.red-gate.com/hc/en-us/requests/165651

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Introduce something similar to the "IGNORE" rules found in your Schema compare for Oracles solution to the SQL Server Source Control product.
    The problem that exists for those of us with third party databases that have 10's of thousands of objects is that they are not workable using this product because it ONLY applies the filter AFTER it has already tried to extract and manage the ENTIRE database. The "IGNORE" option would allow us capabilities similar to filter but they would be applied UP FRONT and BEFORE the system ever tried to gather and manage every single object in the…

47 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. When attempting to get latest changes and an error occurs, please be more detailed (e.g table, data, column, etc.) that caused the error that will allow user to correct the error. It is possible the user getting the latest change was the person responsible for the error, making it difficult to trouble shoot when your database is relatively large.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Make SQL Source Control external to SSMS like SQL Compare. This would allow the developer to use what ever IDE they want to and still commit the changes the same way. I would use SQL Compare to make changes, but it can't do everything SQL Source Control can. Mainly the migration scripts and the pre and post scripts.

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. When changing a data type used in a SP (e.g. add a new column to it and commit it). getting latest fails on other linked DBs. You have to drop the SP on the target DB.
    The weird thing is that sometimes it works, but most of the times it doesn't. Not sure why the behavior is not the same all of the times...

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. When re-linking databases to source control, there is a warning message about loosing all uncommitted migration scripts, with only a OK/Cancel option. It's seems there should be an option for 'take me to the commit page' so that I can commit those scripts, then re-link.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Feature which should enforce user to lock the object before editing when administrator enables the restrictive policy for the users

If it is there it will be very much helpful for most of the development projects not testing and production.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Source conrtol should be a standalone app not SSMS addin. When performing get latest or commits, on large environments and slow connections this can easily take 20 minutes during which a click anywhere else in SSMS restarts the get latest/commit process. The logical use of source control being a SSMS addon has been outlived.

64 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We are building a standalone version, which resolves some (not all) of the performance concerns that exist in the current tool. We are hoping for an early preview release in Q1 2021. Please get in touch if you’d like to try it.

10. Currently, when comparing an SSDT project using SQL Compare, it only loads the base project. If the project references another project as the same database (the standard workaround to the circular reference problem), the objects in the referenced project will not be compared. This can lead to changes being missed and deployments failing.

It would be nice if SQL Compare could follow the reference back and include the objects from the referenced database in the compare as well.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. I don't see why is good this product if it's posible do commit to an object that is locked. If the object is locked this means that the user is editing it Then why allow to commit to this object

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. We use a shared environment, and if someone forgets to check something in, then the changes made appear as if from the next user to edit the item.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. We are a shop that have multiple systems for clients that we managed from within a single database, using a separate Schema for each system.

I would like to be able to link a TFS database to a filtered list of objects (preferably) an entire schema but I could see where others might like just a subset of other objects.

If this is currently possible please let me know but I do not see a way to accomplish this without having a separate database for each system per client.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Problem:
    Sysadmin role is required to see who changed a DB object. I am not permitted to have this role and I would imagine many devs are in the same boat. This means that when many objects have been checked-in by many users it is hard to pick out one’s own changes.
    Solution:
    Have an option when checking-in which adds a 1 line encrypted comment to the start or end of each object script. The comment would contain the username of the person making the check-in (and a control parameter like the time of check-in for instance)
    This username can…

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add an option in the SSC filter to ignore differences in filegroup location as there might be multiple instances of a controlled database that have different filegroup configurations

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add Filter to Migration Scripts

When you go to create the migration script, you get to choose which commits are part of that script. It would be great to sort the migration script by the product descriptions or tags. When we have multiple commits to a database, and we might commit #project1 and #project 2 back and forth for a month, and instead of having to ctrl click through every other one, it would be great if we could group them together (or filter) and then generate the migration script easier.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. I'm hard pressed to think of any corporation that would take a migration script and run "as is". You will at the minimum have some standard code or comment block to put at the top and bottom of a script.

For example, in our particular place, we check the DB version before running a script (header), and stamp a version on success / error handle (footer).

We also have special statement which we need to put after each batch (where the migration currently places a "GO").

Needless to say, having to manually do this is time consuming. So my suggestion…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Can you please provide a way to "Uncheck" the entire list of objects on the "Get Latest" tab. I have 100+ objects ( Team of 6 Devs ) to get latest and 3 or 4 objects have issues, so I have to manually uncheck each of the 100 checkboxes and then check just the ones I think are ok to check in

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?