Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

78 results found

1. In the Source Control window I check severall objects and then, when I right click on Undo, a new window opens that only keeps one of the selected objects checked. And this new "Undo" window does not show code differences between DB and Source control. This forces me to Undo each object one at a time. Please keep all selected objects when using the Undo option

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is already possible in the tool:

It’s the row selections that are recognised by this feature. So you need to use Shift or Ctrl to select the items you’d like to undo, then right click and select undo. This will result in the entire selection being checked in the next screen.

2. We use synonyms when accessing data through linked servers. If the synonym is changed to use a new linked server Source Control does not detect that change.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. I get the message "Connect your databases to your source control system" yet I have selected the database. The video at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/ is irrelevant as it assumes the software works.
    Not the best impression during evaluation.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. After my initial LINK and COMMIT 1 change in a scalar function is showing - i think it is something i did in the past. I have no idea how this change is even recognized since it's a new DB to the source control but anyway this change cannot be commited it just reappears after commit.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. I realize that there is a request for the same in TFS, perhaps the different source control vendor doesn't make this a different request? In any event, we would like to shelve changes and we use Vault.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Let me start by saying that we've been successfully integrating Red Gate SQL compare Pro with different source control systems even before the initial release of SQL Source Control became available.
    I finally now got a chance to evaluate the product (shared db model, TFS) and I believe it has several shortcomings that would make it difficult for me to justify paying for extra licenses for each developer working on the project.

1. Commits are painfully slow.
      Even if I only change one object, it takes me 2 minutes to bring up the dialog to commit this change. If understand the…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m declining this because it’s 2 suggestions in 1.

For 1, please vote on http://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/39019-sql-source-control/suggestions/462220-don-t-refresh-the-commit-get-latest-automatically.

For 2, SQL Source Control v3.3 now checks TFS policies on commit. :-) You can find out more information at http://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/39019-sql-source-control/suggestions/726952-evaluate-tfs-policies-rules-when-committing-db-c.

7. I'm working with a package which generates T-SQL to manage a complex object database implemented in SQL Server. One query, saved with Profiler, was over 200 pages when pasted into WORD. Once in a while these queries fail, and testing in SSMS is useful. I would like PROMPT to format the query as far as it can, rather then check for errors and then fail with no formatting.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Filtered display and sync of a subset of database objects based on type or schema would be great for databases with large amounts of objects, or where db objects are logically grouped into projects based on their function/application.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Duplicate. For filtering objects on the commit/get tabs, please vote/comment on this suggestion http://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/39019-sql-source-control/suggestions/462211-allow-me-to-filter-the-objects-on-the-commit-get-l?ref=title.

You may also want to vote/comment on the ability to ignore objects. This means that these ignored objects will never show up on your commit list. If this interests you, please vote/comment at http://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/39019-sql-source-control/suggestions/458708-exclude-objects-from-versioning-svn-ignore-?ref=title.

9. issue when adding a table with static data to SVN. Gives a System.OutOfMemoryException error.
    Created a new SVN folder and re-linked to the new folder. I then setup the static data one-by-one (apart from the table with the large amounts of static data). All of them worked fine. I then added the table with the large static data and I still got the OutOfMemoryException. Please advise on what can be done.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Because this product can execute DB changes in bulk, it is essential to highlight clearly the connected database (particularly if it is a Production instance!).

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We do NOT recommend linking production databases to source control. Changes should be made on your development instance that is linked to source control. These changes should be deployed to your other environments (Test > Staging > Production) using SQL Compare.

FYI – Have you heard about our NEW SSMS Integration Pack, http://www.red-gate.com/products/ssms_integration_pack? If you have SQL Compare, this is a free tool that allows you to deploy changes quickly from SSMS.

If you want, you can comment/vote on the following suggestion:
    Indication of current server / database in source control pane would be useful, http://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/39019-sql-source-control/suggestions/464497-indication-of-current-server-database-in-source-

11. I think the toolbar should be named something other than 'Red Gate' - all the other RG toolbars have meaningful names : 'SQL Search', 'SQL Tab Magic'

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Have the same db on multiple servers. Updated it on one, when to the others, not showing as different even after refresh.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. received message that source control was disabled because multiple copies of SSMS were open. Closed the other copy but source control would still not open.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Cygwin git can not commit code.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. When editing a diagram and changing the table view a hard crash of SSMS is produced by an unhandled exception in SourceControl plugin

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. After linking a database an error is generated when I try to move to the "Get Latest" or "Commit Changes" tab.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  James Billings responded

Ryan, we’ll contact you directly to check over a couple of things relating to this error. Thanks!

18. everything seems correct except my local folder with the SVN data does not populate with the sql files. Only on the computer on which the SQL Source Control was first installed and implemented. On other computers it downloads the respective sql files. Can you help?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. how can i re-enable code suggestions when i disabled it?the "Elable" button is disabled.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. If "Commit changes" or "Get latest" tabs are currently refreshing, and you close all documents (Window menu, Close All Documents) SSMS 2008 Express crashes with the following details...

Description:
    Stopped working

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Ssms.exe
    Application Version: 2009.100.1600.1
    Application Timestamp: 4bb679e7
    Fault Module Name: msenv.dll
    Fault Module Version: 8.0.50727.1826
    Fault Module Timestamp: 480d6b43
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 00316588
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 2057

Read our privacy statement online:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
    C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?