Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

78 results found

1. TFS lets the user "shelve" items before checking them in. A way to save them while they are still inprocess or not code reveiwed yet. It would be nice if SQL Source Control let us shelve the items instead of checking it in - with the same functionality we get when shelving through Source Control Explorer in Visual Studio.

215 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. We desperately need the ability to supported gated check-ins so breaking changes do not get into source control.

144 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Rather than blue/red circles, why not use the tried and true Tortoise SVN overlay icons? Green check, red exclamation, blue plus, etc.

72 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m afraid that we will not be implementing this suggestion. SQL Source Control works with many different version control systems, not just SVN, so the icons which are familiar to SVN users may not be familiar to users of other version control systems.

Mike Upton
    Tech Lead | SQL Source Control

4. Currently the XML hooking method for non-native Source Control Systems is not very usefull for Surround SCM. I would like to suggest maybe adding more support to it. Also when linking a database to the Source Control System It would be nice to have the option to link tables, stored procedures, views..so on to specific repositories, instead of everything going into the same place. Also to be able to rename the default folders that the tool creates in the working directory would be nice in case there is a special naming convention(for instance procedures instead of stored procedures). A moule…

56 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m declining this because it covers multiple different requests, which makes it difficult to track and work out which features people are voting for. If you’d still like to see these requests addressed, please create new requests for them separately.

Thanks,
    Mike Upton
    Tech Lead | SQL Source Control

5. Increasingly, developers will be using the latest version of SQL Compact Edition to do local development, and want to use SQL Compare to generate an update script for the server.

41 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Please add version 9 support.
    Thanks.

41 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. I understand a hook can be added to SVN so if a commit is made without a comment it will throw an error and fail - From an interface point of view it would be nice the commit couldn't even be made (i.e. the button was disabled if a "require comments" option was set).

39 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. We like to track code reviews in TFS. Would like to have the ability to specify a code reviewer when I commit.

36 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. We are using Visual Source Safe and we really want to source control our databases. We are not upgrading or changing our source control system anytime soon. Visual Source Safe works fine for us. We do not want to install a seperate source control system just to use this tool.

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. RG Source Control "seems" to hog the machine with the databases. The CPU goes 75% +, disk activity goes abnormally high, Logical reads is high, compiles is high, etc. (according to Quest Spotlight on SQL Server). Also, users are having queries time out.

I can close SSMS and the machine returns to normal (CPU around 10%, other metrics low).

I will have to remove it for now until this is corrected/changed.

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  fiona.gazeley responded

I am closing this request as it’s now six years old. If anyone is experiencing similar issues on the latest version of SQL Source Control then please feel free to open a new request or support call.

11. If you have only the SQL Source control product, you can use it to upgrade your production SQL server database. But if you switch to Azure SQL, you lose this capability. I think the option to generate upgrade scripts that are Azure compatible would be great!

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We do not recommend connecting a production database to SQL Source Control. We recommend using SQL Compare for deployment and you can deploy to Azure databases with SQL Compare.

12. My setup went smoothly. I create a new sp on datatabase server, "Comit Changes" then I can see it in TFS. I run into error when I modified the sp from TFS, then go to SQL Source Control and do try to "get Latest". First I got error MSDTC not available, I then started MSDTC services, now i got different error "Transaction context in use by another session". Can you help?

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. I still have some databases that are on SQL Server 2000 and we are not planning to upgrade these soon, but we still do some development and maintenance against these. I would like to use this tool with my SQL Server 2000 databases.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  Michelle Taylor responded

SQL Server 2000 has now been out of extended support with MS for over a year, so it is unfortunately not the case that we will consider supporting it in SOC.

14. Need to deploy from Git Source Control Repository to Target Databases

I use a shared Dev database and I work on multiple issues and versions of our software at the same time and am using Git to keep track of all the changes that go with each issue I'm working on. However, when QA asks me to deploy the changes relating to one specific issue to their QA environments, I have to manually go through all the changes in our shared database and determine which of the changes I made relate to that issue. In Git, I create a branch…

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

These kinds of deployment scenarios are handled by SQL Compare (for manual deployments) or SQL Change Automation (for more automated/scripted deployments). SQL Source Control is intended for the dev side of your database change management process, linking your development database to a version control system.

15. SSC 3.1.0.4829
    SQL Server 10.50.4000
    Shared model

After adding an extended property to a table the recognition and the commit work fine. But after having committed the changes the table will be remarked as having pending changes in the object explorer of SSMS. In the commit changes tab there are no changes to commit which is correct.

Maybe also extended properties with other objects are affected.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This looks like something we’d prefer to handle as a bug report than a feature request – if you are still experiencing this problem, please email support@red-gate.com with the details.

16. Whenever I modify an existing table, the table disappears from the Object Explorer. If I refresh the tables list in the Object Explorer it reappears...but c'mon, that's ridiculous. The only thing you should be doing to the Object Explorer is marking items that have been modified. If you want to help here, then refresh the list when I add something so it appears (something Microsoft never implemented).

Note: this only happens when you FIRST edit a table (i.e. subsequent edits to the table after your modified icon is on the table icon don't cause this issue).

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have attempted to fix this behaviour a few times now – if it’s still occurring, we would like to investigate this as a bug rather than a feature request. If you have seen this recently, can you please email support@red-gate.com with details?

17. Currently when you try and publish static data, it only supports comparing the data in the source database, there is no option to use source control. Can it compare directly with source control and be limited to only the tables that are configured for static data?

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. supporting SSDT projects with Redgate Source control will allow developers to use the tool of their choice (Redgate or SSDT) when developing database enhancements etc.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Using sys.objects you could determine objects which have been created/modified since the last check to speed things up

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  3 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. The git integration does not seem to work AT ALL. Add reports status code 1, delete fails because the file has already been deleted.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We believe the Git integration is working for most customers – if you are encountering error messages, our support team at support@red-gate.com should be able to get you up and running again.

← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?