Skip to content

SQL Compare

Welcome to the SQL Compare feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Compare at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-compare/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Compare, please visit the forums at https://forums.red-gate.com/viewforum.php?f=200 or our support portal.

SQL Compare

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

242 results found

1. Sometimes databases are set up such that each schema is supposed to have the same objects, defined in the same way, as all the others. Ex: SchemaA.Table1, SchemaA.Table2, SchemaB.Table1, SchemaB.Table2, SchemaC.... This is used as an alternative to multiple databases. Unfortunately, not all objects are always set up the same and thus the need to compare them.

SQL Compare will let you compare a database to itself, and you can use the "Owner mapping" tab to cross the schema names (e.g. map side 1 SchemaA to side 2 SchemaB), but the comparison has to go in both directions (also map…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Every time a SQL Compare project is closed, a modal dialog pops up to save unsaved changes every time, even if the project was just saved. This dialog should not pop up if the project is not dirty.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. On Data Sources modal, make the Scripts folder dropdown box editable so the folder name can be edited/pasted without having to go into the open folder dialog box.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. We want to use the SQL Prompt view tab in SQL Compare, but you apparently specifically need the SQL Toolbelt or SQL Toolbelt Essential licence.

We don't have SQL Toolbelt (anymore), but we have both Redgate Deploy and SQL Prompt Professional, and i believe we also have all the tools shipped with SQL Toolbelt.

Can't this tab also be made available for people using Redgate Deploy and/or SQL Prompt Professional, as we have all the tools/software of the Toolbelt already (i guess), but the bundle is named different...?

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Currently, the deployment wizard allows us to select referenced objects and referencing objects. It would be nice if these could be separated so there were two different options. My scenario is wanting to create a small testable DB and only bringing over the minimal amount of schema to get things working. Dependencies are clearly needed, but I don't need objects that rely on the objects deployed.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Managing multiple projects is cumbersome with the modal windows that pop up. They also force a clunky workflow when copying credentials from a 3rd party manager to the popup windows.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. I used to review the changes on a separate windows on a vertically aligned monitor. This allowed me to fast review changes of most objects without using the scrollbar.

Now, for even a small table with constraints, FKs and permissions there is scrolling needed. I need constantly to resize either that upper panel to see objects or bottom one to see changes. SQL review tasks are taking much longer now.

The Summary view is a nice concept but far from production usability.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. I have multiple databases which have the same columns (mostly) but sometimes differing defaults.

They also have different indexes.

I'd like to choose to ONLY sync indexes across.

Obviously the system would need to be intelligent enough to sync only those that have the columns they use/include in both source and destination.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Version 15 adds checkboxes for Encryption and to Trust a server certificate, but if you don't maintain proper certificates you now always need to check the Trust server certificate box on both servers for new comparisons. It would be great if there was an option to default the behavior of these checkboxes to fit your environment.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. I recently had to use SQL Compare to create a rather large add new and update deployment script.
    I was pleased that it picked up User Defined Types in addition to the normal tables and stored procedures.
    But it did not pick up the permissions for the User Defined Types, and that was a failure point when executing the stored procedures.
    This was my first time working with User Defined Types before, and I thought it odd they needed permissions at all. I did not apply any in the development environment, and they worked there.
    But the error was clearly…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. I have TableOne in DatabaseA and DatabaseB. DatabaseA.TableOne has Trigger1,Trigger2 and Trigger3. DatabaseB.TableOne has Trigger2 and Trigger3. After all table columns are analyzed, DatabaseA.Trigger1 is compared to DatabaseB.Trigger2 and naturally they show as different. I'd like to see Trigger1 "compared" to blank, then both Trigger2s compared, ... Try to match up on trigger name and if there isn't a match, show blank

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Currently, there is an option to ignore constraint and index names. Please separate out indexes from constraint names.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. When starting SQL compare, a blue panel appears on the top notifying me about a new version. This panel hides the names of the database servers I am working with and that is problematic. I think that once I start working/touching anything in the SQL compare UI the ribbon should auto-hide so I will see the database server names I am working on.

I know I could click install and be done with it but sometimes I am in the middle of something else which cannot wait and the notification is just in the way and I do not have…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. When comparing tables I saw that for two tables auto-map has mapped some columns. Since I know the tables are not compatible I had to check that the target does not have any rows in the table. Please add some indicator on the object list so that I can know easily if there are any rows in the table

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow an object / script comparison to be opened in an external Diff viewer, such as Beyond Compare. Provide configuration settings to configure external diff viewer EXE, similar to what source comparison tools do.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. SQL Compare in some instances trims the whitespace characters at the beginning and end of object definitions. While in other instances it takes them into account.

For example when comparing objects directly with IgnoreWhitespace = false it will show the whitespace differences at the end of the object being compared. (See attached screenshot of single direct object comparison)

However, when you generate a script to based off this comparsion the script does not include the expected whitespace changes.

SQLServer considers whitespaces at the end of object to be part of the object definition. SQLServer will include any whitespace characters until…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Make 'Ignore Constraints' ignore default constraint values.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. When selecting a database name, please allow filtering the list by typing partial strings from the middle of the name of the database name. for example, if my database name is "Database_1335" I could search for it by typing 1335

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Include attributes to be changed in an object to an excel report in sql compare. include not only the object name to be changed but the actual change to fields
    within the object or the script change to be made for programability items users roles and permission. e.g. Database.schema.objectinsource.change(details of change column to be altered in a table its original value its new value its datatype and length its nullability and any default constraints.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13