Create a branch based on one of the available annotated tags
Our Create a hot fix procedure is:
- Create and get a bug fix into master using the procedures for making changes
- Create a local hot fix branch from current/test or current/production annotated tag
- Cherry pick bug fix commit(s) from master to the local hot fix branch
- Run a full build, all automated tests, and all migrations
- Push the local hot fix branch to the remote repository
- Build & release pipelines are triggered
This procedure will help prevent regressions due to developers forgetting to merge hot fixes to master.
This feature request relates to step 2. The CI/CD release pipeline will create or delete & recreate an annotated tag with name current/test when a release is deployed to the Test stage. Similar for the current/production annotated tag and the Production stage.
Since SQL Change Automation doesn't support creating a branch based on an (annotated) tag, the developer has to use another Git client to do step 2. This complicates the process and I'd prefer that the developer could do step 2 within SQL Change Automation as the process will be simpler and faster.
This feature request is therefore to support creating a branch based on one of the available annotated tags in SQL Change Automation.