Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

78 results found

1. This is more a bug than suggestion. I'm using SQL SC 2.0.3.13 against VSS 8.0.50727.42.
    Apparently, checking tables to be linked is having no effect except that the same tables are checked when I return to the link data screen. Nothing appears in the commit tab.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Increasingly, developers will be using the latest version of SQL Compact Edition to do local development, and want to use SQL Compare to generate an update script for the server.

41 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Since we (DBA/DEV types) have either a load of SQL books floating about, as well as book marks into good SQL sites. We also use the snipets manager in SQL Prompt it would make sense for there to be a connection to bookmarks in books/websites as we use intellisense or snipetts. Likewise have a postback to the forum of 'good bits' into the Snippets repository. From the respository we need an RSS feed on new stuff.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. We have migrated to a new server. Everytime I want to link a DB to source control, the old server comes up as the default in the screen "Link Database to Source Control". How can I change this default behaviour?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. The differences at the bottom of the commit/get tabs is really cool, but sometimes the script is just too big to look at it in that tiny space. It would be cool if I could right click and there was an option to open this script in a new window. Right now, I right-click, select all, copy, then open a new query window and paste it in.

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  fiona.gazeley responded

I am closing this request as it was raised on a much older version of SQL Source Control and has zero votes. SQL Source Control now has various options to help with this problem such as the ability to change the font size, and resize the window area.

6. We desperately need the ability to supported gated check-ins so breaking changes do not get into source control.

144 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. If you look at the history to select a specific version it could be useful to make the grid sortable (on version, date,author,comment DESC/ASC) .

Then we could sort based on the comment, this would allow to search for specific '5.1' tag or 4.2 tag..

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  fiona.gazeley responded

Closing this request since it has been open for 6 years and has zero votes.

8. TFS lets the user "shelve" items before checking them in. A way to save them while they are still inprocess or not code reveiwed yet. It would be nice if SQL Source Control let us shelve the items instead of checking it in - with the same functionality we get when shelving through Source Control Explorer in Visual Studio.

215 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Because this product can execute DB changes in bulk, it is essential to highlight clearly the connected database (particularly if it is a Production instance!).

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We do NOT recommend linking production databases to source control. Changes should be made on your development instance that is linked to source control. These changes should be deployed to your other environments (Test > Staging > Production) using SQL Compare.

FYI – Have you heard about our NEW SSMS Integration Pack, http://www.red-gate.com/products/ssms_integration_pack? If you have SQL Compare, this is a free tool that allows you to deploy changes quickly from SSMS.

If you want, you can comment/vote on the following suggestion:
    Indication of current server / database in source control pane would be useful, http://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/39019-sql-source-control/suggestions/464497-indication-of-current-server-database-in-source-

10. Have the same db on multiple servers. Updated it on one, when to the others, not showing as different even after refresh.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. My setup went smoothly. I create a new sp on datatabase server, "Comit Changes" then I can see it in TFS. I run into error when I modified the sp from TFS, then go to SQL Source Control and do try to "get Latest". First I got error MSDTC not available, I then started MSDTC services, now i got different error "Transaction context in use by another session". Can you help?

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Displaying the History is awesome, but it would be nice to be able to modify the comments right there in the history window.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We believe this needs to be setup on your source control system and not on the SQL Source Control client.

For SVN users, configure a pre-commit hook to require comments.

For TFS users, this would be done through a policy, but we currently ignore these. If this is something you would like, please vote/comment at http://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/39019-sql-source-control/suggestions/726952-evaluate-tfs-policies-when-committing-db-changes.

Thank you!
    Stephanie Herr :-)
    SQL Source Control Project Manager

14. It would be awesome to be able to see the history and do a compare between two versions in the repository.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Trying to commit large number of changed objects to source control causes complete hang of RG Source and SSMS. I have to halt SSMS in Task Manager, and none of my changes are committed. The same TFS, SQL Server, and db are accessible and usable via other SQL Source integration (ApexSQL Edit and VS2010). Only difference is a different local and TFS path for our RG testing. Otherwise this should work.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Did you have this problem with previous versions? Please get in touch with support@red-gate.com if you are still experiencing this problem.

We have seen this problem caused by interactions with some other software… Do you have any of the following installed on your machine?
    - Microsoft Security Essentials
    - Windows Indexing Service
    - Virus scanners
    - Anti Trojan software

If so, could you make sure they are excluding our directory
    C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Application Data\Red Gate\Logs\SQL Source Control
    or
    C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Red Gate\Logs\SQL Source Control

Please let us know if excluding this directory fixes the issue.

16. I understand the difficulties that would exist with rolling back to previous versions of tables based on changes that may have occurred to data, relationships, etc., and rolling back sprocs/functions would have similar potential consequences. But being able to view a change history per entity and have the option to revert has got to make it into the feature pipeline if it's not already...

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Using sys.objects you could determine objects which have been created/modified since the last check to speed things up

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  3 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Initializing of static table content, ie global options, tables which contain type information

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I do not understand this suggestion. Are you looking to source control the contents of a table? E.g., static, reference or lookup table content. If so, please vote/comment on this suggestion, http://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/39019-sql-source-control/suggestions/457874-source-control-data-data-folder-is-blank-?ref=title, which also explains the workaround for using SQL Data Compare Pro to do this until we implement this in SQL Source Control.

19. Why don't you pull from the registry's list of currently installed SCC providers instead of using only Subversion and TFS? If the SCC provider is VS compliant, then why not?

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Whenever I modify an existing table, the table disappears from the Object Explorer. If I refresh the tables list in the Object Explorer it reappears...but c'mon, that's ridiculous. The only thing you should be doing to the Object Explorer is marking items that have been modified. If you want to help here, then refresh the list when I add something so it appears (something Microsoft never implemented).

Note: this only happens when you FIRST edit a table (i.e. subsequent edits to the table after your modified icon is on the table icon don't cause this issue).

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  Michelle Taylor responded

We have attempted to fix this behaviour a few times now – if it’s still occurring, we would like to investigate this as a bug rather than a feature request. If you have seen this recently, can you please email support@red-gate.com with details?

• Don't see your idea?