Skip to content

SQL Compare

Welcome to the SQL Compare feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Compare at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-compare/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Compare, please visit the forums at https://forums.red-gate.com/viewforum.php?f=200 or our support portal.

SQL Compare

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

242 results found

1. Please give an option to ignore Recore tables creation. I am trying to use SQLCompare in DevOps model to avoid long release timings. But if there is any data type change to a huge table then current concept of creation of recovery tables is disabling all the FK's, removing indexes and eventually creating a new table. This is very long process and not benefitting the projects. There should be an option to avoid the creation of Recovery tables. Please think in that perspective.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Add the Last Modified Date Column to the Comparison Report, like it's shown in the Application.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. I would love to have the option to ignore the StatisticsIncremental setting on indexes much the way "Ignore StatisticsNoRecompute" works. I currently have two DBs - one has this option on all indexes and one has it on none. Currently SQL Compare flags all indexes as different even with "Ignore Statistics" turned on. The only option is to ignore Indexes entirely which isn't practical because those are the most frequently changing objects between the DBs. I'm currently still using SQL Compare 10 because it does not pick up the Statistics_Incremental option but I would love to be able…

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add an option to DO NOT DROP missing fields in the target, this way I'm just adding missing fields from the source.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. The comparison window seems to use a hard-coded value of 8 spaces for tab characters. The SSMS default value is currently 4 spaces per tab. So things that align just fine in SSMS are always wacky when displayed in SQL Compare. Couldn't you make this a user-configurable option?

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Option to ignore missing default constraints. Often when comparing two table defs, I want to see if columns or data types have changed but am not concerned at that moment about default constraints. Would like to see an option to ignore missing contraints.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add support for comparing two source control commits through the UI.

Currently this requires cloning a second repository to perform the compare.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Not always a deployed database has the same name of the source database due to customers' naming conventions. So it'd be great if SQL Compare will be three-part identifiers aware, so that if you compare the same table from different named databases as following:

SELECT *
    FROM MyDatabaseA.MyTable

SELECT *
    FROM MyDatabaseB.MyTable

SQL Compare will not show them as different if you want a three-part identifiers insensitive comparison.

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. We have 3 environments for one of our core applications. Each environment has a different database name: dbproto, dbuat, and db_live for an example.

We keep all the SP, Views, and Functions we develop in a separate database so at no time do we alter the database supplied by the vendor. This database name is the same in all three environments.

Because of the name difference for the vendor database all the SP, Views, and Functions are flagged as different. The only difference for 95%+ of them have is the database name (eg dbproto vs dbuat).

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. I would like to suggest that SQL compare tool also have to support SSIS package compare. Currently I am at the position that I have to compare SSIS packages between two servers and find out if any SSIS packages missing plus if any SSIS packages on old version etc. Currently I am talking about SSIS packages reside in MSDB but even if it can be compare between file system, that will be great.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. The project option gives you the ability to ignore based on certain filters e.g. white space. However, if any other difference is found, when you display the comparison it highlights the things you told it to ignore. If in the case of white space, every line shows a highlighted difference for a white space difference, but the one actual difference you are looking for is impossible to find without scanning the whole comparison. Ignore should give you the ability to ignore in the comparison view also (for any ignore project option).

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Using SQL Compare version 11 for Microsoft SQL Server, I can exclude a user from the schema comparison:

<exclude>Role:MyCustomUser</exclude>

This works fine for excluding the user.

However, the comparison engine does not exclude the user's mapping to roles. The script includes sp_addrolemember commands for the excluded user.

When excluding a user, I expect their role assignments to also be excluded.

I suspect this behavior may exist with object exclusions for other object dependencies. Have not tested other scenarios.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Main window which displays comparison results needs more color so differences standout. Little black boxes to indicate same, differences, left, right are not easy to quickly focus on. Must be a bug with the window sizing. Cannot size comparison results screen which spreads all content out and server/db for source and target at opposite sides of my 24' monitor. Can't size columns either.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. I'm going through an exercise of determining object changes between versions of an app suite containing 55 databases.
    It would be nice to be able to specify which databases to compare during a single run instead of processing it one database at a time.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Have SQL Compare be able to compare database level settings in sys.databases such as isolation level

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. We want to use the SQL Prompt view tab in SQL Compare, but you apparently specifically need the SQL Toolbelt or SQL Toolbelt Essential licence.

We don't have SQL Toolbelt (anymore), but we have both Redgate Deploy and SQL Prompt Professional, and i believe we also have all the tools shipped with SQL Toolbelt.

Can't this tab also be made available for people using Redgate Deploy and/or SQL Prompt Professional, as we have all the tools/software of the Toolbelt already (i guess), but the bundle is named different...?

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Can the compare engine be enhanced to work with Azure Synapse?

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. When comparing a source controlled database (SSC) to a live database, it would make sense to use the source controlled database's object filter (filter.scpf file) when running the comparison instead of having to manually recreate the filter inside of the SCP project. Also, it would be better if the SCP project stored a link to the filter file used instead of storing the filter string, as it is very inconvenient to have to maintain these separately. If the filter file is changed in SSC, I want SCP to be able to pick up the change automatically.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. While using command line to generate a difference report (in html format), if the two databases are identical, the console output says:

Error: The selected objects are identical or no objects have been selected in the comparison. Use /include:Identical to suppress this error.

If I include the /include:Identical switch, then the error is not reported on the console, but the output html file has all the objects in it.

I don't want the console error as well as don't want the identical objects in the html file. This is what I want:

1. Don't want to use the /include:Identical switch
    2. If…
    11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. We really need the ability to "sync" a database to VCS repository, not just compare. I know this limitation exists by design because conflicts can be missed, but we have a scenario that demands it. We have batch check-ins that can take up to a half a day to commit manually.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?