Skip to content

SQL Compare

Welcome to the SQL Compare feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Compare at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-compare/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Compare, please visit the forums at https://forums.red-gate.com/viewforum.php?f=200 or our support portal.

SQL Compare

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

242 results found

1. Currently (v 13), there is an all-or-none project option to include or exclude object permissions across all database objects. It would be fabulous to push that option down into custom filter rules so inclusions/exclusions can happen more granularly, at an object-level. Use case: the majority of our tables use generic permissions but a small subset of tables use ActiveDrictory groups that differ by environment so we have to manage them as a special case. I'd love to be able to specify something like this as a filter rule: 'generate object permissions for all tables except tables that begin with <blah>'.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Please bring back the compare results in a side by side compare with modify date as in compare version 12

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. I liked it they it was in Version 12. we could see side by side comparison. and also you used to show the last modification date

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. The report header shows only the database name. Seeing BobsDB -> BobsDB isn't useful. I would rather have something like: DevServerName.BobsDB --> ProdServerName.BobsDB

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. When SQL Compare apply an automapping on column name of a table, there is a little yellow image with "Auto Map" displayed on the table. It would be nice if a menu or double click or else would be availaible to open directly the column mapping of this table. It would be faster to see the mapping applied and correct it if needed.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Bring back the side by side html output, please!!!

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. When comparing two databases it would be nice to have the ability to have objects that only exist in the target be ignored. It is somewhat dangerous to have an option that would cause objects to be dropped and it would be good to be able to not have that show.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. When comparing a TFS Changeset in SQL Compare it will show all schema changes that are different between the Changeset and the destination, but within a TFS Changeset, there is metadata within the Changeset to indicate which specific database objects are being changed within the Changeset. It would be a huge timesaver to allow SQL Compare to be able to only select the database objects that are actually being impacted by the Changeset by default. The situation I have is this:

Developer 1 - Adds a table to database A and checks in the change to the development database, but…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Display last change dates of repository for databases under SQL Source Control.

And display also last schema change date from database.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add an additional "Compare all" button to compare all projects in the actual "Look in" folder. Show a simple is equal/different indicator on each project for the results.

Consider using VS-style solution files or kind of meta-scp.

This is somewhat similar to https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/141379-sql-compare/suggestions/13517250-auto-compare-after-oping-a-project-mass-compare

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. The tool will try to rebuild the whole table even when the only thing needed is the addition of one column. If you need it, I can send an image of the comparison results. To work around it, I search for rebuilds within the generated script and substitute them by the needed command, specially if the table is a very large one.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. When comparing sequences, ANY difference triggers the program to indicate a difference. In reality, when it comes to sequences, the START WITH value changes with use. If two environments are being compared and one is used for different testing, or even as a production environment, the START WITH value will likely be different. This doesn’t mean the sequences are different and, in fact, can lead to serious problems for objects that rely on the next value in the sequence being unique. There should be a way to ignore the START WITH value when comparing sequences.

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. The new version of the HTML report is not as useful as side-by-side comparsions. I don't like the new version, and the developers like it even less. Thanks!

60 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Option to ignore missing default constraints. Often when comparing two table defs, I want to see if columns or data types have changed but am not concerned at that moment about default constraints. Would like to see an option to ignore missing contraints.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add the ability to merge differences between two stored procedures into a new file that can be ran on the server on a line by line basis.

I.E. 10 lines are different in a stored procedure between a file in a folder and a file on the server. I only want to promote 5 of those differences up to the SQL server, adding the ability to merge those 5 changes into a new file would be super helpful instead of having to copy the file from the server and hand merge them.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Each of our production SQL servers has dozens of databases on it. We have a SQL Compare project file for each database to compare it between the production and dev servers.
    Sometimes we find out that we've been using different comparison settings (either filters or project settings or both) between databases that results in us not finding differences that we should have, in hindsight, found.
    It'd be super if there were a way to define the filters + project settings by at a higher level, and perhaps tied to either the database name, the source server, or the target server.…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. I'm using the Update software feature directly from the application. we have 3 products licensed, and i have to run all 3 updates separetely. i would be nice to install all 3 products with one setup run.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. I use SQL Compare very rarely. Most of the time I use it to find the differences between two databases with different structure version. And therefore I need to see in a blink of an eye what dml triggers are missing or outdated or whatever. Currently there is no possibility to filter for table objects like dml triggers.
    It would be very nice if there is an option to restrict the view depending on sub elements like Index, Column, Collation, Trigger.
    Maybe it would be enough if the seach bar at the top would also search the SQL view of…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. I have some stored procedures created in database A with the statement 'create proc' and in databse B with the statement 'create procedure'.
    An option to allow me to ignore this case will very useful.
    Thanks, Ésio

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Option to delete identical records from Target.

I had the need to find all identical rows and remove them from the target as they shouldnt be there. I had to use the export to CSV, and using the data generator create a table with the 81k id's and then perform a delete in sql managment studio on the temp table to delete them.

It would be so simple an usfull to be able to just select an option to delete identical rows from target in the Data compare or is there an option to control this
    I can choose to…

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?