How can we improve SQL Data Compare?

add If not exists to data compare

Any way of adding If not exists to the data script output when comparing data.

145 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Len KalmanLen Kalman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JonJon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be very useful for us. We deploy DB changes as Hotfixes and Service Packs. A Service Pack rolls up changes of all Hotfixes since the last Service Pack, so we manually have to add existance checks - almost defeats the main use-case for SQL Data Compare for us.

Please add existance checks.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am in shock this does not exist. Freeware tools to script data changes can check if not exists.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too would love to see this. Right now, I take the script and split it in three parts:
        a) Heading ALTERS
        b) INSERTS
        c) Trailing ALTERS
        Then I execute a) and c) as block and split b) into lines, to be able to execute them ignoring errors,
        Not nice but working ;-(

• mikemike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For such a simple request, it's mind-boggling that this has not been implemented, and is causing us to consider not buying your product.

• Steve HaleySteve Haley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would like this feature, Right now I'm having to go in to every INSERT INTO, and add a IF NOT EXISTS before each line. Use case: occasionally we distribute table entries "early" to select databases, but still want to include in main release scripts.

• SamSam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also would be nice to have the "else" statement: if exists UPDATE the row with the values described in the INSERT

• Tim FriesenTim Friesen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love to see this added. I manually have to add this to all deployment scripts I deploy.

Feedback and Knowledge Base