Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

52 results found

1. We have a partition scheme setup using a function

CREATE PARTITION SCHEME [partitionSchemeSystemId]
    AS PARTITION [partitionFunctionSystemId]
    TO ([PRIMARY], [PRIMARY], [PRIMARY], [PRIMARY], [PRIMARY], [PRIMARY], [PRIMARY], [PRIMARY], [PRIMARY], [PRIMARY], [PRIMARY], [PRIMARY], [PRIMARY], [PRIMARY], [PRIMARY], [PRIMARY], [PRIMARY], [PRIMARY], [PRIMARY], [PRIMARY])

when SourceControl has populated SVN it has added an extra partition to the scheme

Sourcecontrol sees these as being the same between the DB used to populate SVN but when we link a new instance of the database to sourcecontrol it identifies a conflict

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. 4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Ever since updating to 3.6.0.3, the default Transaction Isolation Level in deployment scripts is Serializable. If a stored procedure has a reference to a linked database it will fail. I have to manually edit every script now and change it to Read Committed...

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. This is actually a defect in the product. After upgrading to 3.1.0.5208 of the SQL Source Control, the Add-On for SQL Server 2008 R2 no longer loads. I had to revert to using 3.0.13.4214

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. New user, I just want to add a query as I develop, to track changes. I expect to 1) Add a query to source control. 2) Commit the query 3) Track changes........ Problem is, every time I commit the query, the entire DB stored procedures load into memory, slow and not working for me.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Please consider allowing, in a single action, the addition of ALL (or a selection of) databases in a server to the same base VSS location. This would require you to create new projects under the root for each DB and simply auto-commit the changes. Currently, Initial setup on servers with dozens of DBs is quite daunting.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. No Category for BUGS? When comparing the TFS version to live DB in SSMS, objects missing from live DB don't cause the "change" visual queue. One must select the DB/SQLSource Control/Get Latest Tab to realize there are extra items in the DB. SQL compare does not have this issue.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Currently, SQL Source Control and SQL Compare have an option to "Ignore tSQLt framework and tests". We want to create our tests in dev and include them in our stage deployments for regression testing. The current setting ignores the framework AND our custom test code.

We want the Red Gate tools to ignore only the framework, but not the custom tests. We will manage the framework install separately. Ideally, there would be separate ignore checkbox rule options, one for the framework and another for our tests.

We have to set the current option to unchecked ("don't ignore") and then set…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Initial Setup  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. if computed column contains a 'hashbytes' function call, the hashbytes will be surrounded by [], like [hashbytes] which causes an error. this bug exists since version 1.1. why did fix that!

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. When adding a database to source control, all kinds of subfolders as created(data,assemblies,...) but these folder are not finegrained enough. for instance we do it by schema first then we use the same kind of subfolders.
    So if we have a Import and Base schema, then in subversion we have the procedure/functions folder under Import and under Base.

It would be nice to be able to choose the folders themselves and also where to put a function and so on.. this gives more flexibility.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. It would be nice if Source Control can split a database to multiple fragments (based on filters - for example per schema) and setup a repository folder for each fragment.
    The use case: we have many projects which are using always the same core tables and functions (for example notification, settings, user management, ...) and the others are custom specific in custom owned repositories. I want to simplify change tracking and version handling of these core elements and share them in a public repository so each customer can use them. Currently we are updating a core procedure and copy this…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. With Amazon RDS, the server names are changed each time an instance is created. If a dev instance is recreated monthly, and a testing instance is recreated daily, it is impossible to keep the connection to source control when the server names change.

The only way to get source control to work with our system is if it were able to connect to a static end point (dns record) rather than the server name itself

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Sometimes when I launch SSMS I see the "Source Control Credentials Required" dialog.

"""
    Your source control system requires credentials.

Enter the user name and password for the repository:
    """

It's prompting me to update the expired credentials for one of my old development projects.

I don't want to update the credentials right now, but SQL Source Control is very persistent about it.

When I click Cancel, the dialog immediately reappears!

After clicking cancel about 10 times in a row, it finally stops asking.

Can you suppress the dialog on startup?

It would be better to ask only when it…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Initial Setup  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. When committing changes, the text area shows a default message that states: "Type a comment describing your changes..."

It would be ideal if you could override this statement with one of your own in some sort of a configuration file:

Ex: "Comments are required, please reference ticket number before checking in your code..."

Speaking of a configuration file, why isn't there one???

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. It would be really great if there was an option to filter exclusions from source control by object type in addition to the Schema and Name as it is presently.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Could you please add a feature that would allow one to view the 'dependencies' when on the 'Commit to source control' window appears.

This would be useful to see which of the tables you are about to commit relates to the 'dependencies' tables in the pop up.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Thanks for the link!

I've done something similar to this before, but it takes a lot of time and you have to be very diligent. I'm not sure I'm going to go with this route, but just in case someone else is thinking about it, here is the general idea:

The idea is similar to the link above. You add your db to SQL Source Control (SSC), which creates a new repository/folder, then inspect the folder/file structure it created. You then take your preexisting repository and rename each file to match the same structure as the one created by SSC.…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. The SQL Source Control uses the default trace in SQL Server, however this is stored in the tempdb which can be cleared after a restart.

RedGate suggest using a change log database as shown in the link here: https://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SOC3/Logging+changes+to+shared+databases

However, this requires you to manually edit the Engine Options xml file in the user profile, this should be configurable in the UI making setup a lot easier. If you have 10 or more developers it requires that those developers maintain their own Engine Options xml file.

It would be great if this is configurable through the UI on Setup when…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. After installation, I was no longer able to load a project file within SSMS. I also was unable to create new projects. My fix was to reinstall SQL Server 2008 R2.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. I was checking out a database that contained changes. (new machine, database restored from backup)

The initial checkout from SVN failed because of a network issue. However the UI did not report that failure and instead proceeded to compare my current database to the local broken working copy.

It seems that the code executing the checkout is wrapped in an exception eating try catch block.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?