Skip to content

SQL Data Compare

Welcome to the SQL Data Compare feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Data Compare at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-data-compare/

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Data Compare, please visit the forums at https://forums.red-gate.com/viewforum.php?f=201 or our support portal.

SQL Data Compare

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

108 results found

1. If you have a project with a bunch of table and view mappings configured, you can easily switch between (similar) databases and retain those mappings. However, if you switch from the database type to the scripts type, even if the schema is basically identical, any mappings with filters get unchecked, but the rest remain selected. RedGate silently makes this change, and it should be considered a bug. Let me choose which action to take. If you try to re-enable those mappings, the filters are only applied to one side of the comparison, which is also an issue.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Currently if you try compare tables with encrypted columns, you get a cast error. It doesn't tell you that encryption is not supported. In fact it took your help desk two weeks to tell me it doesn't and suggest I post a feature request here. I do not know what mechanism you use to connect to SQL Server, but all of my other SQL Server clients support it seamlessly. That includes ODBC. Even if you didn't want to enable decrypting the data you at least could just allow the comparison on the encrypted values, and let the user worry about…

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Currently, the Export CSV includes Matched and UnMatched field. It would be good to only see the UnMAtched Fields so quick action can be taken to fix it. It's especially painful when you have a table with a lot of fields and only a few are unmatched.

This feature is currently only available inside the tool. See https://us.v-cdn.net/6029854/uploads/editor/1m/d9ozpaupqkzc.jpg

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Sometimes when copying data from server to server I need to change soemthing in the deployment script (e.g. replace a guid with another guid for a FK to work). Please allow editing the script before running it through Data Compare (currently I have to copy it, edit it and run it manually)

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. When creating deployment script, would like the option to select from the list of dependencies rather than all or nothing.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Currently, we have to manually edit every SQL Data Compare deployment script to add a USE <DB> statement at the top. We would like to see an option in the tool like SQL Compare has.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. I don't see why the tables have to reside in different databases, backup, source control, or scripts folder in order to run SQL Data Compare.

It wouldn't be much fuzz to add the ability to compare two tables regardless (i.e. in the same database). Sometimes I just need to divide the common traits from the differences, in order to plan some work.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. plz, add filtering object names by wildcards(* ?) in find box.
    thanks...

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Originally introduced in this thread: https://forum.red-gate.com/discussion/comment/149220#Comment_149220

This is a common problem for us when using Data Compare. Parent table has unique constraint on a char field alongside an identity field which also serves as a one-to-many foreign key in the child table. The child table uses an identity field to distinguish each row but there's no guarantee the id's will be the same across databases so only the parent can be matched but the child table only has the parent_id identity fk which is not a viable comparison key.

My proposed solution would be to allow user to define a…

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Ability to use the same "where clauses" that has been set up for one server and when we change the data source to another server with same dbase schema it has to use the same where clauses that I've already been set up.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Excluding columns from data comprison with options to include them in the deployment script because we need these columns as placeholders

52 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. I'd like to store in a Data Compare project file a list of targets that I can select very easily. A target is server+database. It includes credentials as well. I don't want to re-enter them all the time.

I don't want to make many project files for them.

The same is true for a selection of tables and views. I compare very large database and I need different subsets of tables depending on the current task I'm working on.

Again, why a separate project file for them? I don't want that.

Given that I need to vary both target and…

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. There needs to be an option to untick all columns as running a comparison of a couple of columns over a table containing 80+ columns involves laboriously unticking 70+ columns.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Enable Transaction Isolation Option like in SQL Compare. In SQL Compare you can set the transaction level to one of five options. This is needed in SQL Data Compare to eliminate blocking.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Have the "check for updates" check for updates to all installed RedGate products? This would be helpful for those of us on frequent updates - having to close SSMS to update Sql Source Control and then again to update Sql Prompt a few minutes later generally is a bit slow...

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. While browsing the improvements, I notice a whole set of ideas centered around the ability to filter data, providing support for data types that may have changed between stages in the database lifecycle (development to QA to production for instance), and the ability to filter columns, changing column names, etc.

All of this could be supported by providing custom SQL query support in SQL Data Compare.

The tool should provide for a custom comparison query for the source and destination table.

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Can you plead add feature to view/compare XML datatype. Current Viewer is not good enough to compare XML data

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. On Windows 7, the edges of the SQL Data Compare window don't seem to allow window resizing, and there's no visible border separating the window from the background.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. This improvement is similar to https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/147879-sql-data-compare/suggestions/4157645-exclude-special-schema-from-datacompare, but I would like to sketch the idea out a little further.

SQL Data Compare should provide a filtering option that allows the user to exclude entire schemas from comparison, or to exclude tables explicitly. This can be done somewhat at the schema level by unmapping an Owner.

But this doesn't provide the feedback on the main screen that I would like to see. There should be an additional Type on the main screen named "Deselected for comparison". Tables or schemas that are not mapped shouldn't be put into the "could not be…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. I'm using SQL Data Compare extensively as part of a refactoring project. As we optimize data types we end up with situations where we cannot compare source and destination table data due to mismatching data types. I'd like to request a flag that implements implicit/explicit SQL Server data type conversions. For example, I want to be able to compare and synchronize DATATIME/SMALLDATETIME to DATE or VARCHAR to TINYINT/SMALLINT/INT.

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?