Skip to content

SQL Data Compare

Welcome to the SQL Data Compare feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Data Compare at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-data-compare/

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Data Compare, please visit the forums at https://forums.red-gate.com/viewforum.php?f=201 or our support portal.

SQL Data Compare

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

108 results found

1. An option for trailing white space does already exist. Unfortunately there is no option for leading white space yet. This would be very useful and propably is no big deal to implement.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. If you have a project with a bunch of table and view mappings configured, you can easily switch between (similar) databases and retain those mappings. However, if you switch from the database type to the scripts type, even if the schema is basically identical, any mappings with filters get unchecked, but the rest remain selected. RedGate silently makes this change, and it should be considered a bug. Let me choose which action to take. If you try to re-enable those mappings, the filters are only applied to one side of the comparison, which is also an issue.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. When creating deployment script, would like the option to select from the list of dependencies rather than all or nothing.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. I need to compare and sync history of temporal tables as well when testing our system in different environments. Competitive products already have this feature.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Sometimes when copying data from server to server I need to change soemthing in the deployment script (e.g. replace a guid with another guid for a FK to work). Please allow editing the script before running it through Data Compare (currently I have to copy it, edit it and run it manually)

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Currently, the Export CSV includes Matched and UnMatched field. It would be good to only see the UnMAtched Fields so quick action can be taken to fix it. It's especially painful when you have a table with a lot of fields and only a few are unmatched.

This feature is currently only available inside the tool. See https://us.v-cdn.net/6029854/uploads/editor/1m/d9ozpaupqkzc.jpg

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Allow data from one source table to be mapped to 2 or more destination tables. Due to requirement changes we needed to split data from one table in to two separate tables but data compare will only map one source table to one destination table. Some data has to be duplicated on both tables and some belongs to one or other of the new tables.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Its great that you can tell if xml columns are diffierent. But please improve the ablity to view the doc and see the differences. Being able to save change would also be great.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Currently if you try compare tables with encrypted columns, you get a cast error. It doesn't tell you that encryption is not supported. In fact it took your help desk two weeks to tell me it doesn't and suggest I post a feature request here. I do not know what mechanism you use to connect to SQL Server, but all of my other SQL Server clients support it seamlessly. That includes ODBC. Even if you didn't want to enable decrypting the data you at least could just allow the comparison on the encrypted values, and let the user worry about…

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Today, empty tables that have no rows appear in the list of "xxx tables or views with identical rows only". It would be more accurate to split this list into tables/views with data that are identical and table/views that are empty.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. plz, add filtering object names by wildcards(* ?) in find box.
    thanks...

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. It would be nice to have a quick way to send only the items I intend to process via a report. Currently in 13, I can only send everything.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Fix the page -- give us some indication on what is fixed and/or what enhancements are in the update so we know if it is worth installing or if we might as well wait until next update.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. If I'm working from an old file, sometimes I need to add to the definition in there. But there are new tables, so I need to turn off "automatically add new tables".

However, the only way to turn it off is to change to the tables & views tab... which then adds all the tables you didn't want before you have a chance to turn it off.

It save a lot of time to move this option to "data sources", so I could set it before changing to the tables tab and I now have to find all the new…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. We use data compare to run a sync of lots of data across many tables all linked to a specific organization in a multi-tenant db.
    It would be great to be able to define a variable at the project level, e.g. InstanceID, then be able to set a sql comparison to InstanceID = [InstanceID] (or @InstanceID). That way we could copy a project and just edit the InstanceID instead of going into 30 definitions and changing every ID. Would be most useful as a simple text replace, so we could use "between 1 and 2" or like 'abc%'.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. I don't see why the tables have to reside in different databases, backup, source control, or scripts folder in order to run SQL Data Compare.

It wouldn't be much fuzz to add the ability to compare two tables regardless (i.e. in the same database). Sometimes I just need to divide the common traits from the differences, in order to plan some work.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Currently, we have to manually edit every SQL Data Compare deployment script to add a USE <DB> statement at the top. We would like to see an option in the tool like SQL Compare has.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Originally introduced in this thread: https://forum.red-gate.com/discussion/comment/149220#Comment_149220

This is a common problem for us when using Data Compare. Parent table has unique constraint on a char field alongside an identity field which also serves as a one-to-many foreign key in the child table. The child table uses an identity field to distinguish each row but there's no guarantee the id's will be the same across databases so only the parent can be matched but the child table only has the parent_id identity fk which is not a viable comparison key.

My proposed solution would be to allow user to define a…

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Ability to use the same "where clauses" that has been set up for one server and when we change the data source to another server with same dbase schema it has to use the same where clauses that I've already been set up.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. I'd like to store in a Data Compare project file a list of targets that I can select very easily. A target is server+database. It includes credentials as well. I don't want to re-enter them all the time.

I don't want to make many project files for them.

The same is true for a selection of tables and views. I compare very large database and I need different subsets of tables depending on the current task I'm working on.

Again, why a separate project file for them? I don't want that.

Given that I need to vary both target and…

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?