Skip to content

SQL Change Automation

SQL Change Automation works with your CI server and release management system, so you test, build, and release your database alongside your application code. To find out more please visit our website.

We need your help to shape SQL Change Automation into a great product that helps database professionals. We’d love to hear about your feature ideas and suggestions, so please enter them below.

If you have any questions or need help with SQL Change Automation, please visit our support forums.

SQL Change Automation

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

36 results found

1. DLM Automation (and related, SQL Compare) needs to have support for custom filegroups, as well as other database-level setting definitions. Right now, any database that has a single object that references a custom filegroup fails validation against anything other than a pre-staged validation database with a bunch of the settings already baked in. There's no scenario in which the product can create a new database, from scratch, if there is a dependency on these objects.

The DevOps story the products are trying to tell breaks down at scale if the whole of the database isn't manageable from the tool.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Kendra responded

We now have a couple of ways to handle additional filegroups and other database settings, which have been added in the years since this was created:

• Pre-deployment scripts allow custom creation of files and filegroups. These can contain dynamic logic to implement the filegroups as well.
    • The “Clone as Baseline” feature allows a snapshot of a production database to be used as the basis of builds, and clones may additionally be used for development purposes. For many scenarios this makes existing filegroups “just work” in a build scenario.

Related Links:

2. Currently the build log contains the status of each object in the database. In large databases (Mine has 22K objects) this creates a very long log file that is difficult to parse through.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The SQL Change Automation build cmdlets are now “not verbose” by default, and have the option to be Verbose when desired.

3. Our team would like to configure SCA to execute drift scripts automatically on the target database so source control is always used as the source of truth.. We find it a hassle having to run it manually in our multi-tenanted environment. Currently, the drift script must be run manually per environment.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. DevOps plugin for tSQLt is cleaning and rebuilding database prior to running tests.
    Since test step usually follows a build step, that just cleaned and rebuild the database, there's no need for the test step do it again.

Add parameter for disabling this?

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. We have a shared database environment that is usesdby many applications that have different release schedules. We need a way to filter to a specific set of objects (i.e. schema, and/or object name)

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Michelle Taylor responded

Filters can now be passed to relevant cmdlets using the -FilterPath parameter and to SQLCI.ps1 using the filter parameter.

6. We use a service account to deploy changes. I would like to be able to use integrated security of the tentacle service account.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  fiona.gazeley responded

Marking as completed since SQL Release already supports this. However if the original poster of this comment meant something other than what Peter has described then please do let us know.

7. I should be able to fine tune my deployments by specifying comparison options when using SQL Release. An example of a comparison option would be the ability to ignore comments when comparing two databases to make a database update.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. I could be great to be able to generate both the script for azure and non azure at the same time.
    A scenario where I need it: I have 3 environments: one non azure and 2 azure and I need to deploy on it by using the octopus.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is now possible using SQL Change Automation projects, which support development and deployment to Azure SQL Database.

Migration scripts allow you to use conditional logic and to detect the type of target you are deploying to, which should support this scenario.

9. When first starting to use SQL Release, it's likely that the target database may have a few syntax errors in it. For example, it could have a sproc that references a table that doesn't exist. Alternatively, the TempDB that SQL Release is using might not support a feature that the target database uses, or the real SQL Database might not support a feature that the target database is using. In any of these cases, the error returned by New-DatabaseRelease is very unhelpful:

new-databaserelease : SQLCompare.exe terminated with the exit code 126: Failed due to a SQL Server error.
    SQLCompare.exe produced…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In the years since this was last updated, many changes have taken place. SQL Change Automation does now give more detailed error messages and I believe this has been resolved.

10. I want to use SQL CI with database that contain full text indexes

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

If you specify your own database server to use as a temporary database rather than defaulting to LocalDB, DLMA will support databases with full text indexes.

11. The ReadyRoll .sqlproj file is a regular bugbear for merge conflicts when different work streams combine to create a release. We have old databases with many legacy objects that no longer compile, and these have to be included in the ExcludeObjectsFromSync section. ReadyRoll appears to update the entries in this section in random order. When resolving merge conflicts this makes it very difficult.

Please sort the ExcludeObjectsFromSync section in name sequence, or in name within object type to make it easier to resolve merge conflicts.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. When creating the temporary database, SQL CI uses the SQL Compare option: /default (http://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SC10/Options+used+in+the+command+line). I want to turn off these options so I can include items like filegroups.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You can now remove any default SQL Compare options by specifying them prefixed with a minus sign.

13. I want to sync my tSQLt tests with my test environment.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. I want to use different collations when validating and testing my database.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Some changes which we have made to SQL Change Automation projects now give you flexibility that will allow this behavior.

SQL Change Automation projects now have a Provisioning folder with a CreateDatabase.sql script in it. Modifying this script will impact how the databases used for validation are created. You can therefore use this to validate against different collations if desired.

15. The SCA database project only supports the migration approach. I would like to have is support the SSC (state/model approach) style project. My Devs are far more comfortable using Visual Studio to interact with the DB than SSMS+SSC. As long as the correct script is in source control - I don't really care how it gets there and is updated (SSC or VS).

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. SQL CI can synchronize with Azure databases, but they can’t be used as temporary databases during the build and test process. I want to use an Azure temporary database.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for this suggestion.

Azure SQL Databases can now be used for building with SQL Change Automation.

In addition, Azure SQL Databases can also be used as the “shadow” databases for SQL Change Automation projects.

2 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?