Skip to content

SQL Change Automation

SQL Change Automation works with your CI server and release management system, so you test, build, and release your database alongside your application code. To find out more please visit our website.

We need your help to shape SQL Change Automation into a great product that helps database professionals. We’d love to hear about your feature ideas and suggestions, so please enter them below.

If you have any questions or need help with SQL Change Automation, please visit our support forums.

SQL Change Automation

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

36 results found

1. Our team would like to configure SCA to execute drift scripts automatically on the target database so source control is always used as the source of truth.. We find it a hassle having to run it manually in our multi-tenanted environment. Currently, the drift script must be run manually per environment.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. The SCA database project only supports the migration approach. I would like to have is support the SSC (state/model approach) style project. My Devs are far more comfortable using Visual Studio to interact with the DB than SSMS+SSC. As long as the correct script is in source control - I don't really care how it gets there and is updated (SSC or VS).

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. DevOps plugin for tSQLt is cleaning and rebuilding database prior to running tests.
    Since test step usually follows a build step, that just cleaned and rebuild the database, there's no need for the test step do it again.

Add parameter for disabling this?

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. I would like to see a few filters added that would make working with the Main table of objects easier.
    Filter by Object type: Table, stored procedure, etc
    Filter Object name: Ability to type / paste in a partial name.
    Filter to show tables with data. With data, without data, all

I have a project with 575 objects and growing. My main reason for this is working with tables that include data. It is hard to tell which tables include table data. We need a quick reference to see which ones are under source control. As I go through and…

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. DLM Automation (and related, SQL Compare) needs to have support for custom filegroups, as well as other database-level setting definitions. Right now, any database that has a single object that references a custom filegroup fails validation against anything other than a pre-staged validation database with a bunch of the settings already baked in. There's no scenario in which the product can create a new database, from scratch, if there is a dependency on these objects.

The DevOps story the products are trying to tell breaks down at scale if the whole of the database isn't manageable from the tool.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Kendra responded

We now have a couple of ways to handle additional filegroups and other database settings, which have been added in the years since this was created:

• Pre-deployment scripts allow custom creation of files and filegroups. These can contain dynamic logic to implement the filegroups as well.
    • The “Clone as Baseline” feature allows a snapshot of a production database to be used as the basis of builds, and clones may additionally be used for development purposes. For many scenarios this makes existing filegroups “just work” in a build scenario.

Related Links:

6. The ReadyRoll .sqlproj file is a regular bugbear for merge conflicts when different work streams combine to create a release. We have old databases with many legacy objects that no longer compile, and these have to be included in the ExcludeObjectsFromSync section. ReadyRoll appears to update the entries in this section in random order. When resolving merge conflicts this makes it very difficult.

Please sort the ExcludeObjectsFromSync section in name sequence, or in name within object type to make it easier to resolve merge conflicts.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add the ability for the DLM process to connect to Azure DBs using Azure AD authentication. To me this makes sense as you have already added this functionality to SQL Compare.

We are moving to Azure and this is the preferred way for us to connect to these databases. Without this functionality, we have to setup a SQL user for our VSTS user so that the DLM process can deploy the database

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Allow online=on option for index creation during deployment process. This is a particular painful problem when deploying to an azure sql database where they have transaction log limits.

42 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. "DLM Automation works with your CI server and release management system, so you test, build, and release your database alongside your application code." Unfortunately, DLM only allows for the release of updates to existing databases -- suppose the target database doesn't yet exist? Deploying a NuGet package ought to allow for the possibility of initializing a new database.

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  3 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Allow the Sync cmdlet (or similar) to generate an upgrade script without additional powershell

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for suggesting this.

I believe that this has been completed in the form of the New-DatabaseReleaseArtifact cmdlet in the time since you made this suggestion, so I’m marking this as completed.

11. I'd like to be able to configure the VSTS extension to update our DLM Dashboard serer. At the moment I have to use a command line task to perform this.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. I'd like to be able to sync my database scripts which are stored directly in TFS (source control) as my 'source' db and then specify an actual database server as my 'target' database just like you do in the command line options for redgate sql compare.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  3 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. When first starting to use SQL Release, it's likely that the target database may have a few syntax errors in it. For example, it could have a sproc that references a table that doesn't exist. Alternatively, the TempDB that SQL Release is using might not support a feature that the target database uses, or the real SQL Database might not support a feature that the target database is using. In any of these cases, the error returned by New-DatabaseRelease is very unhelpful:

new-databaserelease : SQLCompare.exe terminated with the exit code 126: Failed due to a SQL Server error.
    SQLCompare.exe produced…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In the years since this was last updated, many changes have taken place. SQL Change Automation does now give more detailed error messages and I believe this has been resolved.

14. Currently the build log contains the status of each object in the database. In large databases (Mine has 22K objects) this creates a very long log file that is difficult to parse through.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The SQL Change Automation build cmdlets are now “not verbose” by default, and have the option to be Verbose when desired.

15. We have a shared database environment that is usesdby many applications that have different release schedules. We need a way to filter to a specific set of objects (i.e. schema, and/or object name)

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Michelle Taylor responded

Filters can now be passed to relevant cmdlets using the -FilterPath parameter and to SQLCI.ps1 using the filter parameter.

16. I am randomly getting the following error:

'Error: Comparison of 'Scripts.state' and 'MyServer.MyDatabase' failed. Connection Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed during the post-login phase. The connection could have timed out while waiting for server to complete the login process and respond; Or it could have timed out while attempting to create multiple active connections.

When I re-run SQL CI with exactly the same parameters, next time it works.

Can you make 'Connection Timeout' value configurable from command-line please?

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

DLMAv2 cmdlets now have a timeout parameter so you can specify your own connection timeout.

17. 6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. It would be good to be able to just run the build phase of sql CI, without running the package step, and then run the package step subsequently.

Granted, the reason that this would be useful is so that we can modify the scripts used to build the CI database (via a custom script that does variable replacements based on OctopusDeploy project variables), but then we want to revert to the original files to package.

So, potentially, http://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/263916-sql-ci/suggestions/7647198-as-an-deployment-engineer-i-d-like-to-run-environm is a fix for this.

Another way of solving this (that would be more work) is to integrate better with OctopusDeploy for…

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

DLMA v2 now features powershell cmdlets that are more modular than the previous SQLCI.exe and separate verification, testing, and packaging.

19. When running SQL CI in Bamboo if any unit tests fail, SQLCI.exe returns non-zero which is interpreted as a failure code by Bamboo. This means that the next step which is to parse the unit test results won't run, and you wont' know what test failed.
    Can we have a way of forcing a zero return code for failed unit tests?

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As described in comments, this is now possible with the Powershell cmdlets. Please get in touch if you need this facility in the Bamboo addon.

20. The SQLCompareOptions switch supports only commandline options from SQL Compare but not from SQL Data Compare that are used for static data compare.

We need the option "Force binary collation" for detect case-sensitively changes on a case-insensitive collation.

74 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Maya Malakova responded

As of SQL Change Automation Powershell 3.3.19177 you can now tweak static data comparison behaviour by providing SQL Data Compare options to the cmdlets.

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?