Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

179 results found

1. Just wondered if someone could explain what the following query has to do with source code control in a Database.

SET XACTABORT ON ;

DECLARE @defaultTraceFileName NVARCHAR(256);

SELECT @defaultTraceFileName = CONVERT(NVARCHAR(256), value)

FROM fn
    trace_getinfo(DEFAULT)

WHERE [property] = 2

AND value IS NOT NULL;

SELECT
    dt.StartTime
    , dt.DatabaseID
    , dt.TransactionID
    , dt.EventSubClass
    , dt.EventClass
    , dt.ObjectID
    , sysTSV.subclassname AS ObjectType
    , CONVERT(NVARCHAR(256), NULL) AS SchemaName
    , dt.ObjectName
    , dt.LoginName
    , dt.ApplicationName

tracegettable(@defaultTraceFileName, default) AS dt
    LEFT JOIN sys.trace
    subclassvalues AS sysTSV
    ON sysTSV.trace
    eventid = dt.EventClass
    AND sysTSV.subclass
    value = dt.ObjectType
    WHERE dt.EventSubClass…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. SSMS 2008 hung after upgrading to 0.2.1.1. I had to kill the task. I started SSMS 2005, which opened normally. Then, I reopened SSMS 2008 and it started normally.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. I want to be able to diff/compare my db object to the previous version so I can see exactly what I changed. This would allow me to view differences between my current version and the previous version. I also want to be able to select which version I diff/compare the object to so I could see changes between any 2 versions.

109 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  James Billings responded

SQL Source Control will now let you compare two revisions in the History dialog through SQL Compare

4. I started making changes to a db object, but I made a mistake and I want to start again. I should be able to revert or undo this pending change so that I'm back in the state I was before making these changes.

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. My work has an internet proxy server that filters connections. When the reporting tool asked to send crash report it failed because proxy server wasn't specified. Any way to configure this?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. I'm looking forward to source control of data. It's very low impact, which are the only kinds of tools that get used when schedules get off track, which is to say, week three of any project.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. If someone drop a object and commit it, we lost the object in SVN and the history of it.

You need to found a workaround like Rename _DROP

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Dropped objects are no longer in the latest version in source control, but they are still in the previous versions. In SVN, if you “show log,” on the directory level, you should be able to find the dropped object. You can right-click on it and “show log” again to get the entire history for that dropped object.

8. During the script compare, it would be nice to be able to ignore collation, PK names, FK names, etc...

I have the same table on two servers, PK for the table is call PKOrderDetails76E0ADF on the other its called PKOrderDetailsAC45C0F.

Given that its a rather hefty clustered index, I don't particularly want to recreate it just to have the name in sync.

57 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

SQL Source Control v3.0.5.7 has been released and allows you to configure comparison options – including ‘Ignore Collation’ and ‘Ignore constraint and index names’. To get this version, please run Check For Updates from the Help menu in SQL Source Control.

Comparison options can now be set via a configuration file in your database repository’s Working Base folder. The following article describes how to do this: http://www.red-gate.com/SupportCenter/GeneralContent/knowledgebase/SQL_Source_Control/KB201202000521

Our plan in the future is to provide an options dialog to allow users to configure the comparison options that are changed most often, but we believe this configuration file procedure should help users in the interim.

If you’d like to see an options dialog exposing these settings in SQL Source Control, please vote on the following idea – https://redgate.uservoice.com/admin/forums/39019-sql-source-control/suggestions/2615460-add-an-options-dialog-to-allow-configuration-of-co – and let us know which options you’d like to see exposed in the dialog.

9. The overlay icons disappeared when I connected to a SQL Server 2005 database using SSMS 2008. This is the first time I've noticed this behavior.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Elizabeth Ayer responded

Hi. We think that this is fixed. Please let us know if you’re still experiencing issues with the icons.

10. Have two service broker services that won't synchronise.

Database version shows,
    CREATE SERVICE [//DBA/Login-Service]
    AUTHORIZATION [dbo]
    ON QUEUE [dbo].[Login-Queue]
    (
    [http://schemas.microsoft.com/SQL/Notifications/PostEventNotification]
    )
    GO

Source control version shows,
    CREATE SERVICE [//DBA/Login-Service]
    AUTHORIZATION [dbo]
    ON QUEUE [dbo].[Login-Queue]
    GO

When I try and commit the changes, it stops at the "Sending Files ..." step and says "Nothing to commit"

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Is it possibility to reject changes which has been made for object? I couldn't find such function. If there are not, there should be such possibility.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

If you haven’t commited your changes yet, then you can right-click on the object in the Object Explorer and select Other SQL Source Control Tasks > Undo. This will revert your change to your db so that you are back to the state you were in before you started making changes to the object.

If you actually want to get back to a previous version, then please vote/comment at https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/39019-sql-source-control/suggestions/492431-get-specific-version-from-source-control-svn-upd.

12. I've created new link to some DB, then commint changes. Then... i've linked some other DB to prevously created link. Now i have many conflicts. For example:
    "create procedure dbo.proc1" a version in DB and "create procedure proc1" a version in source control. In my opinion by linking to existing DB in source control get lates step should be done. To equal both versions.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

If your database matches what is in source control, we now update your underlying working folder after you link a db so that you don’t see these conflicts on the Commit/Get tabs.

Thank you!

13. We evaluate SQL Source Control in an internal project and it already saves us a lot of time in our daily development work.

On top of our subversion we use a Continuous Intregration Server so it would be great if we could trigger SQL Source Control by that Server. A simple command line tool with some parameters would be sufficient to automatically sync a test database with the subversion so that afterwards a couple of SQL test scripts could be executed.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. I think this product is brilliant and delivers simple version control for databases - something that has always been lacking. I do agree though that it would be nice to have more SVN options via the SQL Server interface

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. To have a tab that would simply grab and display the Log/History would be invaluable. This would be a fairly simple addition I would think.

71 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. I recentrly had a brief email exchange with Stephanie from Red Gate, where I explained that we use a centralized Development database, instead of every developer having a dedicated local version of the DB against which they develop. I believe that the Centralized Dev DB model is the model used most in the field, mainly for two reasons. 1) Most companies don't want their developers to have local copies of the database for security reasons, and 2) Development DBs often hold a lot of test data which would not be practical for all of the developers to have locally.

Having…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

SQL Source Control supports either model, http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/viewtopic.php?t=12947.

v2.0 has the following enhancements for the shared model:
    If you setup your database as shared, then you will see who last updated each object on the Commit tab and Undo dialog. Only objects that you last updated will be checked by default. This will prevent you from accidentally committing/undoing others changes that work on the same db.

We are also addressing the problem so that you will no longer see invalid conflicts on the Commit tab.

17. A link to the windows folder where the database repository is stored would be good too.

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. I had disconnected a DB from source control due to performance issues. I have a work-around supplied by RG tech support. When I tried to re-link, I got this message and I am unable to link to the DB in source control.

Failed to update:

oEc.#8Jf: Failed to locate the target table [dbo].[Transaction] for the FKTransactionDataTransaction foreign key. ---> RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.SqlCompareException: Failed to locate the target table [dbo].[Transaction] for the FKTransactionDataTransaction foreign key. ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 1435, offset:37 ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 211, offset:38 ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 1369, offset:0 ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Integration with SQL Refactor is crucial. Smart Rename should be noted by SQL Source Control and a commit should do a rename on the object in SVN to keep commit comments.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?