Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

179 results found

1. SQL server 2019 new syntax, for instance for inline functions, is not supported by Redgate Source Control. Could you please add that support? There is another user with the same problem as described here.

Thanks in advance.
    Best,
    Jose.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. I'd suggest rebuilding Red Gate SQL Source Control into a stand-alone application (similar to SQL Compare & SQL Data Compare), instead of a plug-in to SSMS.
    My SSMS has gotten awfully slow since installing SQL Source Control, even after unchecking the Changed Object & Static Data control options, AND setting EnableObjectLocking to FALSE under the hood.

Consider that I'm working all day in SSMS, but I only need SQL Source Control maximum once or twice a day, when committing changes to Git.

Kind regards,
    Christof

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Sql Source Control can be made better by adding support for git hooks in the Sql Management Studio Source Control interface.

Example: Create a pre-commit hook to stop outgoing commits if tsqlt tests do not pass.

Expected outcome: A commit that fails the pre-commit hook should not be created. This is the behavior of the git command line.

Current outcome: Sql Source Control does not respect the git hook and bypasses it allowing the commit to be made.

37 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

SQL Source Control 7 has now been released. In this version, SQL Source Control now uses the Git command line for all its Git interactions, which means it will support any Git hooks that have been configured.

You will need to ensure that you have Git.exe available in your system path – the easiest way to do this if you don’t already have Git installed is to download Git for windows (https://git-scm.com/download/win)

4. In order to access some options, such as enabling SQL Source Control in multiple instances of SSMS, you have to access a section of the setup tab that you can only get to after you have a database linked to a version control. This kind of thing should be available without having to go through all of that.

As an example of where this comes into play, I open a local DB that I have no intention of attaching to SC and do some work. I then open another DB in another SSMS instance that I do want to deal…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The latest frequent update release of SQL Source Control (5.8.0) implements the Global Options as a dialog. You can access it by clicking “Options” in the top right corner. Thanks for your feedback.

5. ReadyRoll looks great but one of it's downsides is that you have to use Visual Studio. If mostly work gets done using SSMS, then switching to Visual Studio is not a great experience.

Both ReadyRoll and SQL Source Control use the same comparison engines, they both output objects as files on disk and support migrations.

To satisfy both worlds (making great experience when using Source Control on SSMS) and have a proper way to automatically update databases from source control files using migrations (like ReadyRoll does), SQL Source control should integrate with ReadyRoll - after each commit, a migration script…

33 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Kendra responded

In the past year we have introduced a way to do what you have suggested her, which is a hybrid method of using SQL Source Control with SQL Change Automation (which is ReadyRoll under the new brand).

In designing the integration, we found that some users wanted each developer to generate migrations as part of their workflow, while others preferred for this to be done in batches, perhaps by a DBA, when preparing a deployment.

More information on the hybrid workflow is here: https://www.red-gate.com/hub/product-learning/sql-toolbelt/a-hybrid-approach-to-database-devops

Thanks very much for this suggestion and we would love further feedback on whether the hybrid workflow meets your needs.

6. When I installed Toolbelt I has SQL 2014 now I have added SSMS2016 and its only Prompt and SQL Test that is visible. I have tried running a reinstall but it tells me that the products are already installed - what's going on!

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The latest version of SQL Source Control (5.7 / 5.8) in the Toolbelt should support both SSMS 2016 and SSMS 17. If you have problems, please don’t hesitate to contact support directly.

7. We use GIT hosted under TFS in order to use Windows authentication to protect the GIT repositories.

SQL Source control does support a local copy of the GIT repository but remote Push and Pull fail in SQL Source Contrtol 5 because it cannot handle the login dialog needed to get to GIT

240 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

SQL Source Control 7 has now been released. In this version, SQL Source Control now uses the Git command line for all its Git interactions, which means it will support any Git authentication method that the command line supports. This includes TFS Git.

You will need to ensure that you have Git.exe available in your system path – the easiest way to do this if you don’t already have Git installed is to download Git for windows (https://git-scm.com/download/win)

8. High DPI screen scaling doesn't work well with SSMS 2016 RC3.
    The source control screen doesn't fill the entire work area, but just takes up a small rectangle in the top left (approximately 50% x 50% of the work area).
    This occurs on a 3840x2160 pixel screen, SSMS version 13.0.14000.36, red gate source control version4.4.0.1714 standard

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. When we use SQL Compare from source control to source control, the URL of our source code control repository appears at the end of the script. This is causing security issues for us. There should be a non-manual way to remove this link.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Elizabeth Ayer responded

I am delighted to let you know that this is now released! With Migrations in SQL Source Control 5, the URL to your repository no longer appears.

If you don’t have the tool installed, you can download it from http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you already have SQL Source Control you can get the new version via Check for updates in the Help menu of SQL Source Control inside SSMS.

You can see other Migrations examples and tutorials here: https://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SOC5/Migration+script+examples

Thank you for sticking with us while we worked on this, and please keep the feedback coming!

10. The selected object in the list of items to be committed used to be highlighted.

I'm on v 4.1.13.94, using the SVN connection. selected item is no longer highlighted.

Maybe it's me? is there a config option I accidentally set?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  James Billings responded

The release later today should change this to a lovely shade of light blue, and be more visible.

11. When using the 'Push to remote Git repository' feature in SC 4.1.8.41, add functional support for remote Git repositories that use SSH keys for authentication.

89 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

SQL Source Control 7 has now been released. In this version, SQL Source Control now uses the Git command line for all its Git interactions, which means it will support any Git authentication method that the command line supports. This includes SSH support. You’ll need to make sure you have your SSH key correctly configured for the Git command line to use.

12. GIT seems to always get the short end of the stick. Can't do Object Locking, can't do Migrations, can't do Get Latest, can't View History.

Please stop treating GIT like the middle child in the Brady Bunch. GIT is totally Marsha, not Jan.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I love your request to much, I’m going to hate to close it as finished soon….

Git is a first-class citizen in SQL Source Control 4.1, which is scheduled to go out within a couple of weeks. You can get it right now if you sign up to the ‘Frequent Updates Channel’ (instructions here: https://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates).

We’ve added Commit, History, Push and Pull (Pull+Apply changes = Get Latest) for Git.

Object locking can be used with Git, but it’s a database-level thing, so is really only useful if you have multiple people sharing a database – a relatively uncommon set-up for Git users.

The latest version of Migrations, in SQL Source Control 5, now supports all version control systems, including Git.

Since that covers every item on your list, I’ll mark this as completed – but thanks for making us giggle too.

Mike Upton
    Technical Lead | SQL Source Control

13. The permission of dbo required to use SQL Source control is not good and indeed a lot of dba's do not like the idea of having to grant dbo permission for users who wish to use the source control. In some companies it would not be possible to grant dbo permission.
    Could SQL Source Control be changed to not require dbo but perhaps something lesser. Indeed give the option to not writes extended properties at the database level.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m pleased to say that the latest version of the migrations feature no longer requires extended properties on your database.

This means that as of version 5.1.1 of SQL Source Control, Alter Database/dbo permissions are no longer required.

Mike Upton
    Technical Lead | SQL Source Control

14. My databases have the same name on the production server, the dev server and my local machine.

Sadly Source Control shows me only the database name in the upper right conor of its main window. And because there is neither a status bar nor the server name in the tab name, I'm often unsure which database exactly it compares at the moment.

PS: I know, it is the one with the one with the light-gray-on-white-background in the object explorer, if I scoll up to the database level, but the scrolling is annoying and I have to look twice to see…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This should be available in our next frequent channel update (on/after August 19).

15. In the SQL Source Control GUI add a button or checkbox to allow pushing changes to the remote repository. This saves having to go to the command-line or another GUI to push our changes up to the remote repository.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Elizabeth Ayer responded

Good news! SQL Source Control 4.1 now lets you push your changes in Git.

After you commit changes (which you can now do inside the tool, rather than just saving and committing externally), you have the option to push to the remote repository. Similarly, when you get latest, you can pull changes.

We think we’ve got the major actions covered now and that if you’re doing anything more advanced, you’d probably prefer to do it in your regular external git client.

But please tell us in separate UserVoice requests if there are other actions you would like surfaced in SSMS via SQL Source Control!

16. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. When committing changes to source control, the 'Include Dependencies' check box is set to true. Can this default behavior be changed to false?
    OR
    Can the user have the option to set the default behavior?

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The latest frequent-update version of SQL Source Control (4.0.6.179) allows you to default the checkbox behaviour to off. To do this, you’ll need to edit your UI Options file (RedGate_SQLSourceControl_CommonUI_UIOptions.xml) which you’ll find in localappdata\Red Gate\SQL Source Control 4 and add a tag called IncludeDependenciesCheckbox, like this:

False

If the value is false, then the checkbox will be un-set by default.
  18. Before every commit I have to check in git if the selected branch is the appropriate. It's important and it would be easier, if SQL Source Control showed it.

67 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. We don't have our schemas in source control so every time we commit code the dependencies screen comes up warning us that the schemas are not in source control. Every time we commit we have to uncheck the box and hit continue. You should allow users to suppress the commit dependencies warning screen and automatically do not commit the dependencies.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The latest frequent-update version of SQL Source Control (4.0.6.179) allows you to default the checkbox behaviour to off. To do this, you’ll need to edit your UI Options file (RedGate_SQLSourceControl_CommonUI_UIOptions.xml) which you’ll find in localappdata\Red Gate\SQL Source Control 4 and add a tag called IncludeDependenciesCheckbox, like this:

False

If the value is false, then the checkbox will be un-set by default.
  20. There are changes detected to a table in the commit screen, but the details show no changes - even after committing this phantom change, the commit screen still shows that table having changes pending. v3.5.6.338 standard. A few things to note about the table that might help to resolve: The table is a partitioned table, with a Geography data type in it, and also has a ColumnStore index.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  fiona.gazeley responded