Skip to content

SQL Prompt

Welcome to the SQL Prompt feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Prompt at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-prompt/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Prompt, please visit the forums or our support portal.

SQL Prompt

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

276 results found

1. I would like to see an additional placeholder, maybe called $SUGGEST$, added to the snippets. This placeholder would position the cursor like $CURSOR$ and bring up the suggestions as if you hit CTRL-space. This would resolve an annoying issue that some of us see with our SSF snippet when we have a space after the FROM clause, and we are then required to hit CTRL-space to bring up the suggestion after expanding the snippet. (See forum post: http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/viewtopic.php?t=12423)

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Paul Stephenson responded

As of SQL Prompt 5.2.8, the suggestions list will pop up automatically after a snippet insertion — if it would be sensible to do so (e.g. if the list would normally pop up if you typed the snippet out by hand).

2. using the example
    SELECT patientid FROM PTGEPATIENT AS pgp

If I qualify object names (ctrl-B, ctrl-Q), I will get

SELECT [pgp].[patientid] FROM [dbo].[PTGEPATIENT] AS pgp

The alias is not enclosed in square brackets after the "AS" keyword. Would like to see that support for consistency (this is the standard I currently have in place)

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Request space options for semicolons that are analogous to space options for commas (see SQL Prompt-->Options-->Format-->Commas & parentheses)
    p.s. -I really don't like the current auto-insertion of a space in front of the semicolons. At the very least, the semicolon formatting should remain untouched upon running Format SQL.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Format SQL  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As of SQL Prompt 5.2.8, spaces are no longer inserted before semicolons during a Format SQL operation. We have not added a new option, as we have found no-one who likes the spaces to be there. If we receive further feedback to the contrary then we will consider adding an option in the future.

4. I found several feature requests concerning synonym support on the Red Gate forums: It was always put on the feature request list, but SQL Prompt still lacks support for synonyms.
    Explanation: Synonym resolution support is crucial for us, since our database design and development strategy completely relies on them. We use synonyms for everything that is out of current database context. So we develop as if every used object was within current database. It's annoying to type an object name that is in fact a synonym - and SQL Prompt does not display auto-completion for the object itself nor for…

102 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Aaron Law responded

We’ve released SQL Prompt 6 which includes full synonym support.

5. 90 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Format SQL  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Now that sql prompt and refactoring have been merged, how about a means of identifying where 'select ' has been used in stored procedures etc. including select a. and select bob, *
    I would have thought that you've already done the hard work, as SQL prompt already recognises these stars when it proposes to expand the column list.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. SQL Prompt 5 does not behave the same as SQL Refactor when it comes to formatting parameters that may be passed to a function, stored procedure, etc. You can increase the text wrapping, but that is not a full-scale solution. A better solution would be to allow you to want to align the parameters on new lines or put all parameters on one line ignoring the text wrapping limit.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Format SQL  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. I thought that partial matching for Intellisense was a rubbish idea, but after using in VS2010 I find it absolutely indispensable, and I really miss it in SQL Prompt.

[b]What is it?[/b]
    An example:
    [code]
    CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Clients](
    [ClientID] [int] NOT NULL,
    [ClientName] [varchar](50) NOT NULL,
    [ClientSurname] [varchar](50) NOT NULL,
    [ClientCardNumber] [int] NOT NULL
    ) ON [PRIMARY]
    [/code]

If I had to now type
    [code]
    SELECT
    ClientID,
    ClientName,
    ClientSurname,
    ClientCardNumber
    FROM
    dbo.Clients AS c
    ORDER BY
    $CURSOR$
    [/code]
    and started typing "Cli" I would get a list of all the column names on the table. However, if I typed "ID"…

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. The XML data type methods are CASE-SENSITIVE - so SQL Prompt must NEVER EVER uppercase those! I have been requesting this feature for a long time. Please fix this.

37 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve released SQL Prompt 6 which includes support for XML functions.

10. I just had a situation where I was in code, didn't have the object explorer opened up for the connection and wanted to look at the table properties, security etc.

It would be really good if you good offer up a "go to object in object explorer" feature - similar to the F12 shortcut to load an ALTER tab, but just changes the object explorer focus to the object that I am currently at.

29 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. In previous versions of SQL Prompt, I could tell it to ignore certain databases for generating intellisense. We have a couple of databases that are causing issues with the product when it attempts to load the schemas. I would like to have the ability to turn off SQL Prompt for certain databases back.

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

SQL Prompt 6.1 has now been released which includes an option page for filtering server and database connections.

12. I used this all the time in SQL Refactor for code I wanted to make easier to read but didn't want to have layout changes.Can we have it back?

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Some users report that having to go into options to disable prompt temporarily is long winded. Can there be a quicker way (perhaps a keyboard shortcut or direct menu option)?

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m going to close this idea to return your votes since I think it was completed a while back (you can disable suggestions with Ctrl+Shift+P or from the Prompt menu). If I’ve misunderstood then feel free to create another idea with more specifics.

14. I write a lot of stored procedures, and one of the nice things about SQL Refactor was that the names of new procedures would autocomplete. For example, "CREATE PROCEDURE WHATEVERPROCEDURENAME" would autocomplete "WHATEVERPROCEDURENAME" if I typed "GRANT EXECUTE ON W". It's a minor convenience to be sure, but it's also frustrating to see you favorite features disappear.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Please let us have CTRL+U back for setting reserved words to uppercase (this shortcut seems to have disappeared) as well as CTRL+B+L for layout. CTRL+K+Y isn't as natural to use and I'm giving serious thought to downgrading to the previous version. I've been used to those shortcuts for years and all it's doing now is annoying me and getting in the way.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In SQL Prompt 5.1, Ctrl+B Ctrl+L now activates Format SQL (Ctrl+K Ctrl+Y still works too), and Ctrl+B Ctrl+U activates Uppercase Keywords.

16. Whenever I use the INSERT INTO template in SQL Prompt 5, I get an incorrect date and/or time inserted for all date/time columns detected in the table. The time is 8 hours ahead of my time zone. I am on Pacific Standard Time, thus running the INSERT INTO template at say, 4pm, will generate a default date/time stamp of the next day at midnight (2011-01-06 16:00:00 real time produces a default insertion of 2011-01-07 00:00:00 for all date/time column values in the proposed INSERT statement). My assumption is that the default time is set to UTC which makes sense for…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Prompt 6.3 uses GETDATE() rather than inserting a string literal with the current date

1 2 10 11 12 14 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?