SQL Prompt

Welcome to the SQL Prompt feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Prompt at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-prompt/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Prompt, please visit the forums at http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/viewforum.php?f=169.

How can we improve SQL Prompt?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Rank suggestions by popularity

I would like to suggest a ranking feature when the suggestions list appears. At my place of work, if I want to select out of the customer table I will often type 'cu' then tab the rest. However this is the snippet for creating a user. This is also useful when many tables begin with the same prefix, but one is used far more often than others. With ranking, the more an object is used, the higher up the list it will appear, like browser history entries in Firefox for instance. This would reduce the number of keystrokes necessary and…

60 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

10 comments  ·  Intellisense  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Support for PDW (Parallel Data Warehouse, aka APS)

Work at a company where we're adopting PDW. It would be great if I could get intellisense in PDW.

58 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Intellisense  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve just released a new SQL Prompt 7.2 beta which will offer suggestions when connected to both Parallel Data Warehouse and Azure SQL Data Warehouse.

We’ll continue to add new suggestions over the next few weeks (as well as remove some suggestions that are no longer valid). If you have any particular statements that you’d like us to prioritise please let us know.

You can find out more and download the beta from here: https://forums.red-gate.com/viewtopic.php?f=169&t=79442

• Load suggestions from sql files in Visual Studio/SSDT Projects

Prompt currently needs a database connection to retrieve objects/suggestions from, which it gets from a database project's "Target Connection String".

It would be better if prompt loaded suggestions directly from the sql files in the project without needing the database.

38 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Intellisense  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Highlight Implicit Conversions due to Data Type mismatch

After spending some time refreshing my memory on implicit conversions, and the potentially disasterous affects on performance, the thought hit me...

Wouldn't it be great if SQL Prompt could hightlight potential implicit conversions when I write JOINS or WHERE statements?

I'm not sure how easy this would be to implement but I know everyone at Red Gate is very intelligent and highly creative so you'll find a way. :-)

25 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Intellisense  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Allow me to specify schemas to include or exclude

The options to "Only load suggestions for certain databases" and "Don;t load suggestions for certain databases" are nice, but it'd be really useful to also be able to include or exclude on a per schema basis.

20 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Intellisense  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • suggestion box is sometimes in the way

The intellisense box often obscures data in the grid results payne which requires that I hit esc to close suggestions and then retype or ctrl-space to bring it back up.

Possible solutions:

1) The main reason is that the box is usually much larger than it needs to be. If it would auto size as needed it would take up much less room.

2) an optional transparency setting would be much appreciated. Initially draw the box opaque but when the user stops typing, start fading it out a bit slowly because the user may want to see content below. The…

19 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Intellisense  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Don't suggest join keys I've already used

After I type
                SELECT * FROM sys.indexes i
                INNER JOIN sys.partitions p
                ON i.index_id = p.index_id
                AND

the IntelliSense still suggests me i.index_id = p.index_id which I've already used. These duplicates can become pretty annoying when multiple columns are used for joining

14 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Intellisense  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Intellisense improvement : Write the FROM automatically for the user based on the SELECT

The idea is that we don't have to go back with the cursor and can always type forwards, not interrupting our flow/thinking

For Example,

User types:
                  SELECT Master.Active,

Prompt now makes it

SELECT m.Active -- Cursor stays here
                  FROM Master m

We still start with the SELECT but mention the table which is an indication to Prompt to wrote the FROM automatically after that.

Now we start with the from and go back to the select which is cumbersome if you have to do it 100 times a day.

This feature is also more natural to find because the developer…

14 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Code sniffing

Hows about Code sniffing? For checking code compliance with user defined standards. Like checking column names conform to a defined standard, warnings on bad practices etc. You know all those little annoying things like no clustered index, use of cursors instead of set based ops, use of Select * or of Insert into tableA values (a,b,c).

All driven by user defined rules? With larger dev teams the standards docs always left to the side. If it could work on input and in some sort of batch mode (on sql source control check in?) it would be nice.

I've been looking…

13 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Use icon to denote fields with indexes

When the drop down appears with field names (like when you're typing in a WHERE clause), include a little icon for each field that's the first field in an index (like the key pic when it's the PK).

Being able to say "oh, that one has an index" would help me when trying to figure out how I want to filter things. (aka use "inserted_time" vs "post_time" vs the "start_time"). I'd say to use one icon (maybe greyed out) for non-clustered, and a different (or not greyed-out) icon for the clustered. You already include the field size, so why not…

12 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Display the scale and precision (length) of data types like numeric and varchar in pop-up hint windows

Display the scale and precision (length) of data types like numeric and varchar in pop-up hint windows. This would be a very helpful feature to keep data types consistent throughout a database if one doesn't want to set up a user data type for each and every column that stores data types with additional parameters like, for instance, the scale and precision.

11 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Autocomplete stored procedure With DEFAULT Values

When autocompleting a stored procedure statement in the format 'EXEC storedProc @param1 = 0, @param2 0' it would really help if the parameters would initially have the default values defined in the stored procedure (if applicable).

11 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Please include support for Extended Events in SQL Prompt

Extended Events is a great feature in SQL Server. Without support for this in SQL Prompt makes it incomplete.
                            I know we have a GUI for it in SQL Server 2012. But it will quite sometime before everybody is on the latest version of SQL Server

11 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Automatic Suggestion Refresh

If I am running an "ALTER" or "CREATE" or "DROP", etc. Have SQL Prompt automatically refresh suggestions after my call.

10 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Intellisense  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                started  ·  Paul StephensonPaul Stephenson responded

We are looking at an automatic refresh mechanism. It will poll sys.objects every 10 seconds or after a query is executed, for the database of the current query window connection. If there are object changes, SQL Prompt will refresh the whole database and also update the SSMS cache. When this is released as an experimental feature, please try it and let us know how the accuracy/performance trade-off works for you.

• Have a data tab next to the script & summary tabs on the popup table window that returns the top few records

This would be handy if you to know what sort of data is in the table when you are writing insert or query scripts.I often do a select * ..., see the data in the grid below and then write the SQL. With this improvement I could quickly look at the data without to do a separate selection.

9 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Spell check on comments.

Spell check on comments would be a nice addition to SQL Prompt. I know there can be misspellings within variables, table or any type of SQL object, but to at least have it in the comments would be nice.

9 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add an option to position SQL Prompt popup at a screen edge, rather than at the cursor position.

What is near the cursor tends to be data that should not be covered over. I need to see it in order to complete my statement.

9 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• when aggregating add alias

when doing simple aggregation such as sum(column), it would be nice if the column name would be aliased after the agg automatically. if this is a single column in the function then make the alias the column name. when multiple then create square brackets and move cursor into bracket after closing agg with a ")"

9 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Right-click highlighted table and "Create Alias"

When I find I want to define my own table Alias within SQL Prompt, I must go to the menu, click SQL Prompt, scan down for "Options", scan down for "Aliases", click "New" and then do something useful.

Please obviate ALL THIS, by giving a right-click fastpath to "Add Alias" while in the script editor. If the table name happens to already exist, please position the list at it (just in case SQL Prompt had issues...)

It is very laborious to have to navigate through all these clicks just to add an alias while in the code.

9 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Intellisense improvements for object name completion

Many database objects start with the same name. For example tblOrder and tblOrder_Detail. Now if I tab to complete on tblOrder, the intellisense stops giving me any suggestions. It would be wonderful to have a linux type completion, when you only get completed a part that is the same for all objects that share the same beginning, then keep typing to compete the rest, possibly tabbing more until there is only one matching object left. Also when a cursor is at the end of the object name intellisense should re-pick its name and reshow the suggestions. Thanks

8 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Intellisense  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base