SQL Prompt

Welcome to the SQL Prompt feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Prompt at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-prompt/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Prompt, please visit the forums or our support portal.

How can we improve SQL Prompt?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. script insert as

Today’s mail from https://sqlquantumleap.com/2019/05/09/maximum-number-of-rows-for-the-table-value-constructor/
    Shows as way around the 1000 rows limitation on the VALUES ()… statement.

Please enhance SQL Prompts “Script as Insert” feature to use this method.
    Currently SQL Prompt is scripting it like this, when the results window has more than 1000 rows:
    CREATE TABLE #temptable( [id_user] int, [RowCnt] int, [mt] datetime)
    INSERT INTO #temptable
    VALUES
    ( 372, 2,N'2012-09-01T00:00:00')
    INSERT INTO #temptable
    VALUES
    ( 196, 2,N'2012-09-01T00:00:00')
    INSERT INTO #temptable
    VALUES
    ( 210, 2,N'2012-09-01T00:00:00')

It can be done like this:
    CREATE TABLE #temptable( [id_user] int, [RowCnt] int, [mt] datetime)
    INSERT INTO #temptable
    select *
    from(
    values
    (…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Script object as alter  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Create a table variable from a table

Very often I need to create a temp table, table variable, or UDTT that is a duplicate or subset of an existing table. I'd like the @table definition to include primary key and unique constraints and any check constraints and default constraints that are in the actual table. No foreign key constraints obviously. SSMS object scripting botches this up by creating a bunch of alter statements instead of including constraints inside the CREATE statement.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Script object as alter  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Highlight a SELECT stmt and create a temp table definition from it.

Highlight a SELECT stmt and create a temp table definition from it. You often need to create #tables and you have a select to fill it with. However, you have to either create the #table manually or do a SELECT INTO into a real table and then script it out. It would be nice to be able to just take my SELECT and be able to get the #table definition for it.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Script object as alter  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Choose to have ALTER instead of CREATE scripts

When I hover over an object and get the pop-up script for that object (proc/view/function) I would like the ability to have the script default to ALTER instead of CREATE.

99.9% of the time I manually have to edit the Create to be an Alter, this would save SO MUCH time.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Script object as alter  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base