SQL Compare

Welcome to the SQL Compare feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Compare at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-compare/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Compare, please visit the forums at https://forums.red-gate.com/viewforum.php?f=200 or our support portal.

SQL Compare

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

1. Can you add an option that will add the "RefreshView" statement after Alter statements for views?

Thank you.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. I usually create a snapshot of the target database before each deployment so I can compare again later to see the changes or generate a reversal script on selected objects. Please add the option to the Deployment wizard alongside "Back up target before deployment"

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. The source for create new snapshot defaults to database. Automatically populate Server, Authentication, Database and New Snapshot name using the Database information on the other side of the compare window.

Customizable name tags for the new snapshot name would be perfect: [SERVER][DATABASE][DATETIME].snp

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Save the state of the Group By drop down so that we don't have to change it with each managed project.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. At the moment, extended properties that are varchar or nvarchar are scripted out by SQL Compare as literals ('value' or N'value'). Unfortunately every other data type is scripted out over three lines (plus a GO), declaring an @xp variable of the appropriate data type, SELECTing (not SETting) its value, and finally adding the property.

With heavy use of extended properties, or even mild use of non-(n)varchar properties, change scripts (and object scripts in SQL Source Control) can become huge pretty quickly. This causes various issues, not least of which is readability during peer review/PR approval.

I'd like to see this…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. There should be a way to Export HTML via "Generate Comparison Results Report" using Command Shell.
    When we have a ".scp" file which contains the Information about the Databases to be compared, which is saved as a project.scp.
    In this case, if we have a ".scp" file, then is there any command to export the html.?

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 1) SQL Compare has handy database snapshot ability to a folder. It would be great if rather than creating 1 database snapshot at a time you could tick each of the databases you'd like a snapshot created for.

2) Would be cool if like SQL Multiscript tool, you can speficity multiple servers and databases and have the snapshots named and/or placed in folders with server and database names.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. When running a deployment (especially for the automated DevOps part, but even for creating a deploy script) you should have the option to enter/update a new Extended Property value called like “RedGate Version #” with whatever the version number you get from the source control for that object. Ideally it would be nice to also update that in the database level Extended Property as well, but at least on whatever object you are making a change to with that deployment. That way you can self-document what the latest version control number was for that particular object (or the DB as…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Let me change the location of the users data folders. The application creates a folder inside the Documents folder. When I change the location in the Application options dialog still a folder inside the Documents folder is being used. I want my Documents folder not to be used by this application

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Please support Unicode. The current version can not display my descriptions of fields with Unicode.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Make script file an editable plain text file so we review, edit or programmatically generate the file.

Once the script file is used, there is no good way to retrieve what were included in that file, especially if the included objects have been removed.

It will help us keep track of changes across multiple scripts (SCP) over time.

Make it an option to compress it in case it is a large deployment.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Should work on:

how to simply install SQL Compare/SQLToolbelt on AWS EC2 instance (Windows/Linux based)?

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. We prefix our objects with certain characters, so to right-justify the left Source "Object Name" column names makes it hard to visually read down the list of objects to find something in particular.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. I frequently need to "generate scripts folder" against large (10k+ objects) databases including encrypted objects (thousands of encrypted stored procs).

A recent run on a (50ms rtt) vpn link took 2+ hours to complete.

It appears that object decryption performance appears to be bottlenecked on
    performing 3 round trips to read a single db page, specifically:

batch 1: dbcc traceOn(3604)
    batch 2: dbcc page(DB, 1, 6573692, 2)
    batch 3: dbcc traceOff(3604)
    batch 4: dbcc traceOn(3604)
    batch 5: dbcc page(DB, 1, 6573694, 2)
    batch 6: dbcc traceOff(3604)

I think batching page reads (and eliminating many traceon/traceoff commands) would make object decryption…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Sometimes tables can differ in system column metadata (sys.columns) even if they looks completely identical - for example, if I drop a column in a middle of a table. After copying the table to another DB a column id for a half of columns will be different. But some frameworks or applications we use, rely on it, and require reconfiguration / rebuild even on a such a minor change.
    It will be great to have a feature 'Force Column Numbers' to preserve column id's for table or view on deploy.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. I had a panic moment after forgetting that the /rad option was added.
    The report made it look like all production users had been removed!

Please change the color to a lighter or darker shade and add a "filtered" icon with tooltip that clearly explains that the change was not applied due to filters or exclude/include commandline options.

Kids, don't play tricks on your peers with this option!

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Cada vez que é feita uma comparação de database aumenta o uso da memória. Só liberar a memória quando sai e volta pra aplicação.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. With a deadline looming I needed to do a comparison, but I could not see the 'to and from' database machine name until I installed the update. It was hidden underneath the ribbon.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?